Diabetes or Weight Loss

Andrew Thompson
on 4/5/11 9:00 pm - Canada
Can someone please clarify something for me?

For the past 2 weeks I've been concentrating on getting my diabetes under control. Been quite successful at it too: average readings are now around 4 instead of 9.

The side-effect though is that I've stopped losing weight (and have gained around 4 pounds). I'm being very careful with protein, water etc but it seems relentless increase, especially as I've been in a stall.

What can I do? Apart from letting my diabetes get worse and concentrate on the losing weight: which was my technique before surgery. 

Before the surgery I kept putting things off. I was never good enough. One of the benefits of WLS is that you start to believe in yourself. Check out my blog:
All Things CPAP

Karen M.
on 4/5/11 9:11 pm - Mississauga, Canada
How frustrating for you, but great to hear your numbers are down. How is your diet different (controlling diabetes vs. losing weight)?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

MisterDiminishing
on 4/5/11 9:53 pm - Windsor, Canada
Are you getting your diabetes under control by using more insulin?

Karen M #2
on 4/6/11 12:42 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 04/20/10 with
If you take more insulin to bring your sugar level under control your body will be holding onto that fat.

HW-328/SW-309/CW-163/GW-160
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.  - Robert Collier

Follow me on Twitter!: Karen_M_2

MisterDiminishing
on 4/6/11 4:25 am - Windsor, Canada
Yes. That's where I was going too.  I learned the hard way how increasing insulin can be like pushing on a rope in the weight loss game.

Karen M #2
on 4/6/11 6:45 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 04/20/10 with
Same with my hubby. Before he had RNY his diabetes nurse actually said, "I hope your endocrinologist didn't ask you to lose weight because with the amount of insulin you are on that is going to be damned near impossible."

HW-328/SW-309/CW-163/GW-160
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.  - Robert Collier

Follow me on Twitter!: Karen_M_2

Most Active
Recent Topics