Vomiting Question

pinkjellybean
on 6/7/11 3:00 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
After you had your surgery did you experience a lot of vomiting?  I am only asking this because I have a major stomach virus right now and it made me realize how much I can not stand to throw up.  It is such an emotional ordeal for me to feel my stomach heaving and then up comes breakfast, lunch and dinner - This morning I was in tears when it was happening.  :( 

Just curious so that I can prepare myself for the worst but hope for the best.

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

Monica M.
on 6/7/11 3:03 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
i never vomited at all.

Karen M.
on 6/7/11 3:06 am - Mississauga, Canada
Unfortunately, I did as I had a stricture.  But what I CAN tell you is that vomitting post-op is nothing like pre-op.  I too was absolutely phobic about vomitting.  Post-op, you simply "bring back up" what you ate.  No gut churning, etc.  WIsh I could explain better. lol  Try not to stress about it. 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

pinkjellybean
on 6/7/11 3:08 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
Thanks Karen.  This morning it was like an hour work up of churning and acid until it finally all came up and it was such an uncomfortable feeling. 

You explained it well enough for me - thanks chica ;)

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

debralight
on 6/7/11 3:26 am - Canada
Karen, i agree.. how i describe it is that you get your food back without that icky vomit taste - its just the food.. no stomach acid or anything else. Nothing like vomiting pre-WLS.

My motto when i was in my "upchuck phase" (i had it about 4-6 months out) was never eat anything i didn't mind tasting twice.. cause it tasted the same in both directions.  Also could see by what came up how well i'd chewed *blush*.. so when i say to chew chew chew.. i learnt that the hard way.

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

sam1am
on 6/7/11 5:25 am
I agree, throwing up is really easy (still not desirable, don't get me wrong), but no churning in the stomach or bile.  OK, gross but, it tastes the same coming up as it did going down, so that's a definite improvement.  FYI I had a VSG, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/7/11 5:49 am - Windsor, Canada
I am close to 5 years out.

Have never vomited.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Gabygee
on 6/7/11 6:07 am - Canada
I still vomit (9 weeks out from an RNY) almost every day.

It's really nothing like before though - you don't feel like your toenails are heaving their way through your system.
It's simply "okay, that won't go down - it has to come back up" and so it does.

Sometimes you just know that you'll feel much more comfortable if it's out of you, and so you just go for it.

One thing I can warn you about is the Foamies.
If you've just eaten (yes CHEW CHEW CHEW) an dyou start to have an awful lot of saliva being produced, don't swallow it. It's almost unconscious, that you swallow it, but don't.

Spit it out (it can take 20 minutes) becaus ethen you won't have to ralph up all that clear sticky foam.

Alycia87
on 6/7/11 8:41 am - London, ON
throwing up for me post op is a breeze. im not saying i ENJOY it, obviously no one enjoys throwing up, but, when i have to, its very simple for me, no heaving or gross noises. i throw up somwtimes just because i ate a little too much or something like that.

Barix Consultation May 26, 2009             OHIP Papers Faxed May 29, 2009
OHIP APPROVAL JULY 14, 2009!!        PATS August 3rd, 2009
Surgery August 13th, 2009

Starting Weight: 278 lbs
Current Weight: 109 lbs           Total loss so far of 169 lbs     BMI 18.7

alyciacrandon.jpg picture by Alycia87

kellybelly333
on 6/7/11 9:43 pm - Toronto, Canada
I threw up coming our of surgery, which I had pre-warned everybody about. My surgery was almost three months ago and I have thrown up four times. And like you, I HATEd throwing up. It would take me forever to actually get the deed done, even though I knew I would feel better. Lots of gagging and dry heaving.

Now? It's easy peasy! It's so different after surgery and it doesn't upset me at all. It's just something I deal with and move on. I have one friend who is a year and a half out and she still throws up frequently, and then comes back and continues with her meal lol. I haven't been able to do that yet!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active
Recent Topics