The Star doing a good job on obesity articles

Gabygee
on 6/19/11 10:46 pm - Canada
Kudos to Monica M. for catching these early on - I'm just catching up on the weekend articles now.

For those who don't know - the Toronto Star is doing a series on Ontario's fight against obesity.
They're highlighting the plight of the morbidly obese, both adults and kids, and will be talking about what the province is doing to combat the epidemic.

Check out
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1011436--big-bucks-few-c ontrols-in-the-wild-west-of-weight-loss
and
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/article/1011060--f alling-short-in-the-obesity-fight
to get started.

I agree with everyone else's comments about reading the coments - they are from the uninitiated, and hurtful. They just don't get it, and that, of course, has been our problem through our lives. People think they understand the issue in obesity, but they just don't.

Anyway, stay tuned to www.thestar.com this week - should be interesting!

on_my_way2011
on 6/20/11 12:06 am - Canada
Yes, I read the Star online religiously...I'm a news junkie...so I have been reading since the series started.  I have enjoyed them.  I find them well written and non-judgemental, just the facts as a newspaper article shoud be! 

I don't read the comments.  I have always hated any sort of forum where people can remain completely anonymous.  It seems to give them the license to say whatever they want with no consequence...bully without being labled a bully...judge without being called judgemental.  And once you have read something hurtful, you can't un-read it...so I just avoid it altogether.

Tracy

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

(deactivated member)
on 6/20/11 12:22 am - Canada
I've been following the series as well.  So far a lot of really good info. I read the Star on my phone so I dont get the comments section - thank goodness!  I imagine it's a lot of blame type comments anyway. 

I always hold out hope that these articles will shed light on obesity as a disease rather than as a willpower issue. 
gavinw
on 6/20/11 9:58 am - Canada
Simona, a little off topic here. I see you have privatized your account and removed all your friends. Was accidental?

gavinw
on 6/20/11 10:03 am - Canada
Back in April, a person from the Star possed as a person who was obesed and wanted info. She e-mailed me several times trying to get info, but I did not llike the questions asked.

Kathy R.
on 6/20/11 2:02 pm - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 01/27/12
Thanks for the info about the series.  Great articles, I found them quite balanced and sensitively written.  The posted comments though are beyond painful to read.  I take responsibility for putting the food in my mouth that made me obese but gosh whatever happened to compassion for our fellow human beings?  Is it any wonder that so many of us suffer from serious self esteem issues with these types of attitudes in our faces everyday.  I was the chubby kid and the slightly plump teenager who became a morbidly obese adult.  As a teen, I thought I was a tank because I was told by everyone that I was fat but, I only weighed between 140-150 pounds.  I became what I thought I was.  Now it is time to take a lifetime of emotional eating and try to turn it into a healthy future.  I still have no idea how I'm going to do this but I'm trying.  One step at a time.
Kathy         StevesGal (Beth) is my wonderful angel     SURGERY January 27, 2012
HW: 297  Weight at referral: 285  Weight 1st appt: 276  Start of Optifast: 262

Most Active
Recent Topics