Weight loss methods before WLS

Tammy G.
on 7/16/11 9:01 am - London, Canada
RNY on 01/25/12
Hi All,

Just curious as to some methods of weight loss that you attempted prior to WLS and/or Optifast?  What worked for you and what didn't?  I seem to be struggling, but want to get a good portion of weight off beforehand.  I am no where near my orientation however, now is as good a time as ever to start the process.  I have cut out diet pops, and caffiene and I have started using protein shakes in the morning instead of breakfast.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Tammy 
Kerry F.
on 7/16/11 9:19 am - Bolton, Canada
Hi Tammy;
My most "successful" weight loss was Dr. Bernstein, but it was horribly expensive and sadly, not good in the long run.  Ended up with some complications from the diet (including gall bladder problems) and I was not at all able to sustain the diet or the weight loss over time.

I've probably done every diet known to man - nutrisystem, atkins, south beach, fit for life, the cabbage soup diet (yuck!), the potato diet (yum!), the beet juice diet (peed pink for a week...lol), you name it.

Weigh****chers was probably the healthiest and most sustained weight loss for me.  When I stayed on track and went to meetings for support, I did very well.  I was actually doing WW and losing weight when my referral for WLS went it.   I debated whether or not the surgery was for me but in the end I felt that  I still had A LOT of weight to lose - so much so that it felt insurmountable and I'd been on such roller coaster with my weight for so many years, this was a chance to finally take care of it once and for all.
Cutting out your caffeine is a good idea - it's a real stimulant we just don't need.  I would suggest making small changes, one at a time so everything doesn't feel overwhelming all at once.  Best of luck to you :)

Kerry

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson   

Tammy G.
on 7/16/11 10:56 am - London, Canada
RNY on 01/25/12
 Hi Kerry,

As far as diets go that I have completed so far to date:  Scarsdale, The Weight Loss Clinic, Nutrisystem, WW, Herbal Magic, Atkins, Dr. Bernstein & LA Weight Loss Clinic.  There are probably more that I have forgotten, but I am not new to the weight loss companies that are willing to promise weight loss.  Hence the reason I am moving forward.  Kind of disappointed in myself that I have got to this point, however, onward and upward.  My next feat is to eliminate the high sugar carbs. I feel overwhelmed at how much I need to lose and much like you and likely everyone else on this board I need to take care of this issue once and for all in my life.  

Tammy
Leslie W.
on 7/16/11 12:32 pm - Cobourg, Canada
Hi Tammy,

Once I knew that I was approved I wanted to make sure I was the healthiest I could be and have managed to lose 30lbs since Feb and keep it off. I have been working with a Dietician, cut out pop and caffiene. I have also concentrating on eating my 3 meals with 3 snacks. Eating healthy and not skipping meals has been hard but I feel so much better. Cutting fats and sugar have helped as well. Have slipped up time to time but over all it has worked for me. Knowing that this will help post op it has helped to keep me focus.
I have tried many fad diets but as we all know they don't work.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
paula-37
on 7/16/11 9:16 am - brantford, Canada
Hi Tammy the method of weight loss i used before i was approved for surgery was eating six small meals a day with snacks.also i went for walks and aqua fit to help me loss weight.it is a good thing you are doing by cutting out diet pop and caffien and adding protien shakes.also getting in 8 glasses of water helped.i am glad i had this surgery in august the 14 2008.i hope i have helped you in some way.there are others on here that could give you some suggestions on  what do.i am hoping you get this surgery soon.i am sending you hugs and positive vibes.looking forward to having you on the bench.all the best for a successful wls journey.
SINCERELY YOURS YOUR OH FRIEND ALWAYS
'PAULA(paula-37)

Tammy G.
on 7/16/11 11:10 am - London, Canada
RNY on 01/25/12
 Thanks for the tips Paula, I am also doing aqua fit as it is one activity that my Osteo Arthritis can tolerate.  The intake of water is probably where I am deficient in.  Something I need to make a point of concentrating more on.

Tammy
PatXYZ
on 7/16/11 9:36 am
These diets might help you drop a bit of weight, but they are highly likely to also lead to regain, and yo-yo dieting is actually worse for you and harder on your body and metabolism than just staying fat for the moment! You've already made a big step by asking to be referred for surgery. I wouldn't worry about following a particular diet right now, so much as developing better habits and choices in preparation for surgery.
Cutting out diet pop is a good start and protein shakes for breakfast can be good too, just be careful that you aren't inadvertantly taking in more calories now that you're drinking them. Do you eat whole grains? Cutting out refined (white) carbs and sugars is a good step, as is adding in more veg and some fruit to your diet. Cutting back on eating out/take-out is another good habit, I'm trying to take my lunch to work a couple of days a week and it is definitely more effort! Have you had blood work done recently? How are your iron, vitamin D, calcium, B vitamin levels, etc? If you're low in anything, start supplementing now to get yourself in good shape before surgery. How is your water intake? Make sure you're getting a couple of litres in each day, especially in the summer heat.
This has been my approach to preparing for surgery.
Tammy G.
on 7/18/11 4:01 am - London, Canada
RNY on 01/25/12
 Thanks so much for responding.  Your absolutely right, the changes I am making now will only prepare me in the next year or so for the surgery!!  I have recently called my GP for bloodwork and a physical and will at the same time get some requisitions for some tests etc.  I figure I might as well do something constructive while I wait.
Carpe Diem
on 7/16/11 9:57 am, edited 7/16/11 9:58 am - Canada
I'm about five months since orientation, and about 12 weeks since my visit with the nurse, nutritionist and behaviouralist. I haven't had much to do but pass time. I gained about 30 lbs over the winter and have recently cut back. I'm not on a plan, per se, but am curious to see how much I can lose as I wait.

I'm not doing anything magical other than eating three modest, well balanced meals a day. I am open to snacking healthfully, but am choosing to wait till my next meal to eat, and I'm making sure to quit eating by 7:30 ish. That's about it, and I'm upping my water intake.

I haven't weighed myself and don't really plan to, if it can be avoided. I have however noticed a good reduction in my midriff in that my muffin top has gone down. And that's about it. If by some miracle, and through this basic eating plan, I manage to lose 40 lbs before surgery, I just may not opt to go through with it. But, I know that's fear talking. I'm incredibly fearful of this surgery and of the idea of getting my beautiful, working, plumbing cut up.
Tammy G.
on 7/18/11 4:07 am - London, Canada
RNY on 01/25/12
 I can understand your fear of going through surgery, but I know for me, this is the answer, I have had to battle this for so long, I just want to be able to wake up one morning and not worry about my weight (as much as I do now).  I want to be here for my kids and my DH.  To me it means that I will have short term pain (surgery woes) for long term gain (weight loss & the ability to live life).  Good for you on the things you are doing to change your behaviours prior to the possibility of surgery!
Most Active
Recent Topics