Fat and Healthy

sueberman
on 8/18/11 12:41 am
I work at York University and this article was in our daily newsletter we get electronically.  I'm interested in opinions:

http://www.yorku.ca/yfile/archive/index.asp?Article=17444
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

Joyce J.
on 8/18/11 3:09 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Sue

I only read a bit of it, the computer here wouldn't give me the whole thing LOL. That's the problem working for the Government LOL, well one of them.
I do agree with one thing that was said and that was about losing and regaining weight. I do agree that some people may be healthier to stay with the weight on than to keep losing and re gaining. I think that is probably harder on the body sometimes. 
I would love to see others opinions

Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Mary A.
on 8/18/11 4:45 am
interesting....what I would say from personal experience is that I agree obese people can be healthy as far as not having any co-mobilities..I only had sleep apnea, no high blood pressure, diabetes etc.

what I will say...is I wonder how many obese people are genuinely happy...and that includes listening to comments from people, friends, family, relatives..on "how you have such a pretty face, if only you would lose some weight...etc etc.

....I personally wasn't unhappy I just know that having lost 100+ lbs, made me come out of my shell.....

truly..

I don;t even wear a summer coat anymore..like I did when I was 100+lbs larger..maybe I thought I was covering my obesity and people couldn't tell...not sure.

thanks for sharing the article

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

PatXYZ
on 8/18/11 6:06 am
This was my response a few days ago to someone who posted a Sun article about the study...

What this study is saying is, fat people who have NO physical, psychological or physiological problems related to their weight, who ALSO eat a balanced diet full of fruits and veggies AND exercise frequently, will live about the same length of time as an average normal weight person and would be better off not trying to lose weight because of the risk of yo-yo dieting and its effects on the body.

Put another way, a fat person must have no medical issues related to their weight, be perfectly ok with their weight, eat well and exercise frequently, for the stresses of attempting to lose weight (and potentially fail) to not be worth it in their case. These cases are of course going to be few and far between as most obese people are going to have either a medical or mental issue with their weight (like most of us on here). And remember these uber-healthy obese people are being measured against average normal weight people, not uber healthy normal weight people who are likely to live even longer the average.

Bottom line - a handful of super physically and mentally healthy obese people can live as long as average normal weighted people.
Most Active
Recent Topics