water

KelliT
on 9/6/11 3:32 am
I am trying to be really good about the rules and diet to get this last 20 lbs off....but I am struggling with the no drinking 30 minutes before/after and during meals......its killing me.

Monica M.
on 9/6/11 3:43 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
its so hard for me too. I sometimes use the stopwatch on my bberry or my watch to time the half hour.

ToNewBeginnings
on 9/6/11 3:50 am
I have been finding that difficult also. Especially if I eat something salty! It's a pain in the butt but when I think about having lost all this weight I think it's a good trade off.
KelliT
on 9/6/11 4:10 am
I know its worth it, I see it in the scales the last week, I am down around 3lbs the last week and since june I have only lost 10 (plus now 3 so 13).....I have really been tightening up...summer fun is coming to an end.

Sirene
on 9/6/11 4:13 am - Ottawa, Canada
I think that's going to be my number one challenge post op. I am trying to practice now but its really hard!! I had to enlist my Honey to take my water bottle away from me at the supper table. I am never more than a few feet away from my beloved water bottle!!!!

He is actually pretty horrible at it because as soon as I pout, he gives it back to me.
As you can probably guess....I usually get my way and am spoiled rotten. But TOTALLY not helping!! lol

Jennifer  

Linda C.
on 9/6/11 4:25 am
It's difficult for me also, especially when you look at the sample menus that they give you in the nutrition guidelines booklet, where they have fluids and solids together in a meal.  In the "Weight Loss Surgery Guide & Diet Program" book, it does say that  "In the long term, for some people drinking very small amounts with meals is not a problem, but be sure to keep it to a minimum and sip slowly."  (from the book by Sue Ekserci and Dr. Laz Klein)  Certainly not something you would want to do in the beginning of your new eating regime, but maybe down the road.

Linda C.
_______________ My  is jennifer_rpn______________________________
Includes 72 lbs lost prior to Optifast;  additional 20 lbs lost on Optifast

Radiogirl39
on 9/6/11 1:48 pm - Canada
This is something I asked dr Sohi about.  If there is no longer a sphincter at the bottom of the stomach, doesn't the stomach just empty of fluids fairly quickly?  Why wait for 30 mins before eating, how long does the stomach take to empty of fluids with no sphincter.  He didn't have an answer for me.

Julie

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/11 4:07 pm - Canada
Good question and ill be asking my surgeon this when I see him tomorrow. Im also struggling with the 30 mins before/after and 90% of the time I go ahead and drink anyway. Its a tough habit to break :(
happypants
on 9/6/11 9:56 pm - Ottawa, Canada
yesterday the dietitian told me that if you drink to soon after a meal it pushes food through to quickly causing you to become hungry more rapidly. Not sure what the time frame is for the other centres but here in Ottawa its no liquid 30 minutes before a meal and no liquid 60 after, trust me its a long wait lol.

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Mary A.
on 9/7/11 6:02 am
yikes..that is something that I luckily have never struggled with and at restauranunts servers look at me oddly when they ask

"you don't even want a glass of water"

no thanks....

hopefully you can curb that....maybe start with a shorter time and increase it slowly.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics