Scale victory! (and a bit of background)

on_my_way2011
on 10/12/11 10:38 pm - Canada
It was five years ago on September 20th that I moved into the house I bought.  As a single mom who struggled and went back to high school and then completed two university degrees it was something I had always dreamed about (buying my own house), but had little hope it would ever happen.  It was one of the proudest moments of my life when I took the keys from the real estate agent!

Over the next few weeks I painted the three bedrooms and since it was fall and we have lots of maple trees I spent endless hours raking!! We put out about thirty leaf bags each year.  I had been 360 pounds for some time and one day in October I stepped on the scale and realized I had lost 18 pounds!  It finally clicked for me that getting no exercise was a big part of my weight problem.  I had changed my eating habits drastically a few years prior when I was diagnosed with diabetes, but hadn't really had a lot of weight loss (lost about twenty initially, but put it back on over time).  I really started to work at adding exercise to my daily life (not all that hard when you own a house...lots to do to keep it up).  Over the next three years I lost another 60 or so pounds.  The lowest I got was 270 and then I hit a complete standstill.  Couldn't lose any weight no matter how hard I tried.  I even joined a gym and went faithfully for five months.

Then this year I had surgery.  I was at 280 when my doctor referred me, 269 the day of surgery and today I stepped on the scale and I am 259!!!!  That means that I am now officially 101 pounds lighter than I was five years ago!!!! 

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

Monica M.
on 10/12/11 10:44 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
that is awesome!!! So happy/proud/excited for you!!!!

Congrats on all your acheivements. You're an amazing person!

Brenda T.
on 10/12/11 10:52 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
That's great that you see how far you have come, and don't forget it.
You are doing great. and enjoy your new home.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/11 1:24 am - Toronto, Canada
 that's a beautiful story...your achievements are impressive...completing two degrees, buying a house all while being a single mom! The weight loss is just one more indicator that you can move mountains!  Thanks for the inspiration.
Eileen C.
on 10/13/11 2:07 am - Cornwall, Canada
WOW what a happy and rewarding life altering story of your life for the last 5 years, you are very

remarkable and want to congratulate you on achieving your goals, one at a time, step after step, you

are doing a fantastic job   

Keep up the great work, you can do it, just look at all that you have done so far, doing the happy

dance with you  

Good luck on your continued success     sending big hugs your way!!!

Take care

Eileen
            my angel is Lisa48                                        
sam1am
on 10/13/11 2:45 am
Very impressive on all fronts, congratz!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

laura S.
on 10/13/11 3:06 am - London, Canada
That is wonderful.  I"m so happy for you!!!!!

Laura

stewartjackie
on 10/13/11 4:14 am - Pickering, Canada
Wow, what a successful woman you are, and an inspiration to everyone. Please take a moment to be very proud of everything you have achieved!
Thanks for such an uplifting post.
jackie

on_my_way2011
on 10/13/11 4:22 am - Canada
Thanks everyone!  It hasn't been an easy road, but it has been rewarding.  I am so looking forward to how life changing losing the next hundred is going to be!!!

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

pedlsanCAN
on 10/13/11 9:30 am - Meaford, Canada
RNY on 09/04/12
You are an amazing tower of strength!  Thanks for this positive post - LOVE it!

Most Active
Recent Topics