H Pylori

Allyson A.
on 10/23/11 11:39 pm - Seeleys Bay, Canada
How is H Pylori tested?  Is it done by a blood test or by some other means?

Allyson
HW 318  SW 291 

Monica M.
on 10/23/11 11:47 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
From Wikipedia, quick google search
Breath test, biopsy, urine test, or blood test.

Diagnosis of infection is usually made by checking for dyspeptic symptoms and by tests which can indicate H. pylori infection. One can test noninvasively for H. pylori infection with a blood antibody test, stool antigen test, or with the carbon urea breath test (in which the patient drinks 14C- or 13C-labelled urea, which the bacterium metabolizes, producing labelled carbon dioxide that can be detected in the breath).[40] However, the most reliable method for detecting H. pylori infection is a biopsy check during endoscopy with a rapid urease test, histological examination, and microbial culture. There is also a urine ELISA test with a 96% sensitivity and 79% specificity. None of the test methods are completely failsafe. Even biopsy is dependent on the location of the biopsy. Blood antibody tests, for example, range from 76% to 84% sensitivity. Some drugs can affect H. pylori urease activity and give false negatives with the urea-based tests.[41]

paula-37
on 10/23/11 11:56 pm - brantford, Canada
Hi from what i read on what H Pylori it is a blood test.they said it is some kind of antibody.i just google it.i see you  have doctor klein  for your suregone.i do not recall having to have that test when i went for a blood test before i had my surgery three years ago.i hope this helps.good luck with your joureny. i hope it is a successfull one all the best.sedning you hugs and positive vibes.i hope that somebody that has had the test for H Pylori can tell you what it is.''
SINCERELY YOURS YOUR OH FRIEND ALWAYS
PAULA(paula-37)

Manda M.
on 10/24/11 12:08 am
I had a blood test to show I had it and a breath test to show it was gone.
http://pouchgirlrny.blogspot.com  -- My thoughts and experience so far post RNY!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/11 1:16 am - Canada

A blood test is usually the first indicator - as the white blood cell for H Pylori is a good indicator if it is present.

If your center does a gastroscopy, they also take biopsies of the stomach wall to see if H Pylori and other factors may be present.

If you're diagnosed or test positive, a breath test is done to see if the bacteria is resident (it produces a gas).

As someone who tested only trace positive on one biopsy out of seven and negative on the blood test, then coming down with a full-tilt infection 3 months post surgery, leading to a bleeding ulcer and hospitalization twice as long as my surgical stay, I HIGHLY recommend you request your test results and if you test even trace positive, ask why you aren't being treated.

The treatment is tough enough on your stomach prior to surgery and even harder on post surgical pouches...

Manda M.
on 10/24/11 2:12 am
 I agree. My stomach was in knots because of those antibotics.
http://pouchgirlrny.blogspot.com  -- My thoughts and experience so far post RNY!!

Allyson A.
on 10/24/11 4:00 am - Seeleys Bay, Canada
Thanxs everyone.  I have requested to be tested for H Pylori as I have been suffering from an extreme amount of gas and prolonged vomiting that seems to be conected to the amount of gas I have.    I am really  hoping that this might be an answer the issues at hand.

Allyson
HW 318  SW 291 

Most Active
Recent Topics