question for vets about transition to maintenance

ima_totalgeek
on 11/1/11 8:46 pm

I'm at goal and am now thinking about how to make a change to maintenance.  While I'm super happy about getting here - I'm worried about maintaining since I won't have the weekly excitement of losing.  How do you keep the same feeling  to just stay the same?

Did your eating change when you wanted to just maintain? If it did - how? 

Do you have a range - I'm giving myself a 5lb window to stay in - is this realistic?

Do you weigh yourself with the same frequency?  If you weigh daily/weekly  - did you continue?

Any other tips or suggestions?

I''ll be talking to the NUT about this when I see her in a couple of weeks. 

Thanks!!

Gabygee
on 11/1/11 10:20 pm - Canada
Can't really offer any words of wisdom because I'm almost at the same stage now myself. (nearly there ...)

However, while doing laundry last night, I came across a notice on our building's bulletin board - there's an Overeaters Anonymous meeting on November 6 at North York Public Library, if you think that might help. I'm considering going.

I know I will be making an appointment with my shrink, in order to address my head hunger, my appetites. The secret  to any addiction is recognizing one's triggers and avoiding or confronting them , depending on what kind they are.
I know in my case, one of the triggers is ubiquitous - TV ads. If I see an ad for pizza, I immediately crave it.

So I've got to deal with that separately. Hence the psychiatrists.

Radiogirl39
on 11/1/11 10:33 pm - Canada
Hey Gaby, which library in North York?  I would like to go.  I was also going to try and get a psych referral from Dr Sohi after my surgery.  OA might be helpful.

Julie

ima_totalgeek
on 11/2/11 8:52 pm
Thanks!
Karen M.
on 11/1/11 10:41 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Congratulations on getting to goal :)

The excitement of losing sucks, honestly.  A lot of us got here and then thought, "Well, NOW what?"  It's a bit of a jagged pill.  What you will come to realize is the "now what" is simply life and living it.

Did my eating change?  Hmmm... no, not really.  I may have an occasional treat (chips!) but other than that, I had gradually increased and adjusted over the years anyway.  And I don't want to regain.

A 5 pound range is excellent.

I used to weigh daily, now weekly.  Not to see if I've lost, to make sure I haven't gained. lol

Tips, suggestions - continue to track what you're eating, continue to plan your meals.  Keep up with your protein intake.  Don't take "goal" for granted.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Mary A.
on 11/1/11 11:45 pm, edited 11/1/11 11:45 pm

Did your eating change when you wanted to just maintain? If it did - how?

IMO opinion it becomes more of a concentrated effort...now without the weight steadily coming of fyou really have to watch, especially if you are the type that succumbs to old habits

Do you have a range - I'm giving myself a 5lb window to stay in - is this realistic?

my weight fluctuates about 5-7lbs depending on "that time of the month"  I still do weight myself monthly or after a couple of days of misbhaving

Do you weigh yourself with the same frequency? If you weigh daily/weekly - did you continue?

(LOL just answered that in the above part of my repsonse)

Any other tips or suggestions?

keep reading labels and being concsious of what you put into your mouth...at almost 3 years post-op I still DO NOT drink a 1/2 hr before or after a meal...and make sure that you continue to stay away from the fried and greasy foods

Reply to This Post Quote Post Report Post

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

jdance
on 11/2/11 12:27 am - Canada
I have been maintaining now for about 3 months.

I have increased my eating, allowed myself more carbs.

Still doing protein firs****er, vitamins etc, but just more carbs.

having small wraps now with my protein.

I do weigh myself every day so I watch the 5lb window, yes I have that window as well. I found i lost 2lbs last week when i was super busy and didn't eat as  much as usual. I'm hoping to drop another 7lbs or so just to stay under my goal weight of160. I don't want to go over that, so if i can drop down another 5 and maintain within that window then I'm happy. That's what keeps me motivated, trying to lose another 5lbs or not go over my goal weight.

But I still malabsorbing fats, so when that's gone I fear I might have to readjust my eating again. Although I am more active.

I'm  not as worried as I once was about maintaining, the new lifestyle fits quite well.
but i must remain vigilant.

I LOVE IT.....

J

nata
on 11/2/11 12:48 am, edited 11/2/11 1:34 am - Ottawa, Canada
as my NUT said, "just keep doing what you're doing". My body kind of stopped by itself. No much change in diet. My window is 6-7 pounds, but it happens on its own - depending on the food-fluids-BM-time_of_month. Goes up a bit, goes down the same amount within a few days. I tried "managing" it with 5 days pouch test - same effect as if I do nothing.

One thing I've noticed - I gain some weight if I snack. 3 meals a day and no grazing in between - works for me.  Can eat whatever I want during the meal, but not an hour later. Also I don't follow "Canadian Food Guide" - 5 or more servings of grain product? I'll regain my 200 pounds in no time. No, carbs are VERY limited and I'm always aware of this. It's more relevant for me tough, since I have quite a large stomach compared to RNY pouch. If I let myself, I can easily eat a bagel or 6 inch Sub. Soooo, still gotta watch the carbs.
Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
sam1am
on 11/2/11 2:32 am
I wish I had gone 5-10 lbs below goal, so that my bounce back weight would have put me where I want to be instead of 10-15 lbs over where I want to be.  Just something to keep in mind while losing is still fairly easy.

Congratulations on reaching goal!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

ima_totalgeek
on 11/2/11 8:56 pm
Thanks - I've been thinking the same thing.  My original goal was 150 - but now I'm at 145 sothat I have the "wiggle" room.
Most Active
Recent Topics