Family sues Ottawa Hospital after woman, 37, dies following gastric bypass surgery

Catnip
on 12/12/11 11:07 am - Ottawa, Canada

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

pinkjellybean
on 12/12/11 11:16 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

Catnip
on 12/12/11 11:23 am - Ottawa, Canada
 ???

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

PatXYZ
on 12/12/11 12:25 pm
Very sad. This is the 1 in 300-400 we hear about. We may never know why her stomach ruptured. I'm sure they'll be looking at how many of these surgeries the surgeons had perfirmed before hers. The learning curve for RNY has been determined to be about 100 surgeries. Would a more experienced surgeon have caught whatever lead to the rupture? Who knows.

It's a good reminder for us to always advocate for ourselves. If something is wrong, we need to insist on being seen and heard until it gets figured out.
(deactivated member)
on 12/12/11 2:10 pm - Canada
Jeers to the Ottawa Citizen!

How nice that they had to include her last words to her husband in an attempt to dramatize the story and drum up sympathy for the family. Most people survive and a small few dont and sadly she was one of the ones that didnt make it. She knew the risks, I know the risks and so does everyone else who is reading this website.

Why does this surgery always have to get such bad press? I just dont get it.
Bonnie ABC
on 12/12/11 6:28 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
Wow, not sure I like your response much.   This woman was instructed to gulp fluid on her leak test.  Someone screwed up in this program.  

Merry Christmas.

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
Diminishing Dawn
on 12/12/11 10:59 pm - Windsor, Canada
I wad told to gulp mine as well. This is pretty typical.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Karen M.
on 12/12/11 11:00 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Seems to me, if I remember correctly, I may have been as well.  Something comes to mind about it having a certain amount of time to get down there and through.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Bonnie ABC
on 12/12/11 11:06 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
We were instructed in Utica to sip.  I am grateful.

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
Diminishing Dawn
on 12/12/11 11:09 pm - Windsor, Canada
Exactly Karen -- if they don't do it quickly the fluids will all drip out and so you have to drink it really quickly so that they can get accurate xrays. I remember thinking how weird it was to be told to gulp!!!

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics