How many are dealing with Guelph hospital?

Nicole B.
on 2/22/12 7:30 am - Canada
I just wondered how many people get referred there.  The wait times seems far beyond what most as stating.. I was referred last April and just received the letter last month for orientation in JUNE!  It all seems so far away and discouraging.... I'm sure I'm looking at another year at best before I'll see a surgeon....

Why the significant wait time differences in the different centers?  Anyone?

Referral: April 2011 to GGH Info: 12/6/14 Nurse: 12/8/17SW: 12/8/17  Diet/Nut: 12/8/17 2nd Nurse: 12/10/4  2nd SW: 12/10/4  2nd Diet/Nut: 12/10/4  Internist: 12/10/12  3rd SW: 12/10/26  3rd Diet/Nut: 12/10/26  Nutrition Class: 12/11/27  Surgeon: 13/2/7 Opti Fast: 13/2/18 Pre-Op: 13/2/28  Surgery Date: 13/3/5 Dr Pereira-Hong

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

steff1970
on 2/22/12 7:38 am - cambridge , Canada
RNY on 07/09/12
 Hello there and welcome;

I am currently going through Guelph and yes the wait is very long...i'm not really sure why it is except that maybe because they only have one doctor that deals with people that are very high risk and over the 300 pound mark...also i know how you feel about it being discouraging however use the time to research everything you can about all the possible surgeries because sometimes once the surgeon gets inside he might deem a different surgery to be necessary as opposed to the one you researched....also if you have any behaviours you need to change such as no smoking for atleast 6 months....limited alcohol use.....lose the caffeine and keep a food journal....if you are able you can also have some of the tests done such as sleep study.....H-pylori...Upper GI and abdominal Ultrasound.

Please try not to be too discouraged as your day will come when it's right for you....I remember being told the same thing when i signed up here and trust me it does happen.

all the best to you
Stephanie

REFFERAL.....APRIL 2010    ORIENTATION.....JULY 14, 2011       SURGERY.....JULY 9, 2012                            

ericaFG
on 2/22/12 11:14 am - Cambridge, Canada
 There are three surgeons at Guelph.  Dr. Reed does the higher risk surgeries there...but all three perform surgeries.  

We have a local support group that meets twice a week in Cambridge - lot of our "girls" have gone through the process in Guelph.  The wait is indeed about 1-2 years from referral.  It was MUCH longer than they were told this past year, as one of the dr's had an ill mother (I believe she has since passed away) and took a lot of time off to be with her.  This backed up all the dr's as they covered her case-load.

If you live in the area and would like to come meet some of these ladies and talk about the process - please feel free!  We meet Sunday's and Wednesdays each week.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Cwuddy
on 2/22/12 7:46 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 08/28/12
 I feel bad for you that you've had to wait so long Nicole!  I am going through St. Joe's in Hamilton and I was referred in October, 2011 and had my orientation Feb. 13, 2012....I haven't received an calls for appointments yet but they told us at the orientation to expect surgery from 2 - 8 months so that would translate into a wait of just a year from referral to surgery.

I hope it goes that fast for me b/c i'm really ready to get moving on this and I hope your wait times will get better...maybe they will hire another surgeon in Guelph if the wait times keep being so long?  Good luck!

Vicky - SW = 299   CW = 138

hobbithands
on 2/22/12 8:03 am - Brussels, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 I was with Guelph. When I asked Linda why the wait was so outrageous she said they are just back logged and they didnt do any orientation in July and August which put them further behind.
I was reffered at the beginning of last year but my referal was lost, so Guelph received my referal on June 3rd. I was told my orientation would be in Oct or Nov of 2012. I have since switched centres.
HRRH received my referal on Feb 2nd and I had my orientation on Feb 13.

Keep your chin up, it will happen...I know how frustrating the wait is. 

LuAnne H.
on 2/22/12 8:37 am - London, Canada
I am with Guelph.  The wait times are very long.  I am 1 year from orientation and just getting to the surgeons appointment on Monday.  While the wait can be upsetting, I am looking at it as time to get adjusted and really ready for the surgery.  Think it as time to get your head fully around what changes are coming for the rest of your fabulous new life.

Guelph also does the surgery for the Windsor clinic'

Lu

Referal Apr.17, 10   Orientation Feb.24, 11  !st  App (SW,NUT.RN) May 17, 11
2nd App (SM,NUT,RN) Jul. 7,11, Post-op Nut class Jan 13,12,  surgeon Feb27,12
surgery April 5,2012
tresor
on 2/22/12 8:42 am
I am also going through Guelph and must say the waiting is very long.  I have taken this time to inform and adapt for a new life change.  Coming to this site helps time go by and a treasure box full of awesome people with excellent information.  Remember that all good things come to those who are patient.

referral  Nov.3 2010                                                     
surgeon  Dr. Nathasa Pereira-Hong   surgery   May 31, 2012
Beth1970
on 2/22/12 9:13 am - Canada
RNY on 10/11/12
 I'm also going through Guelph. I was referred about this time last year, had the orientation in November, then had my first meetings at the hospital earlier this month. The wait feels very long. However, it is the closest to me (I'm in Kitchener), and the convenience is worth the wait (at this point anyway). I'm going to try and use the time to make the lifestyle changes I need to maintain long term success.  

JennaMi77
on 2/22/12 11:07 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
 The wait. Time is long in Guelph. I waited 2 years,  but I firmly believe the wait was needed. I had my surgery Feb 2nd,  no regrets. Guelph has 3 amazing doctors. And their support staff is unparalleled. 
RYMEBE73
on 2/22/12 11:07 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 06/30/15
I am assuming I'll be through Guelph since I live here...we have three surgeons that I know of that perform gastric surgeries, as mentioned, if you start changing the bad habits, show that you are committed to losing weight, it will move faster.  I was just referred, so I have a loooooong wait.  It is discouraging but then again, as the saying goes, good things come to those who wait, right?? LOL

Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things.  It just means you have to accept what happened and continue LIVING  

Most Active
Recent Topics