Opti Day 4/Last Day of Work

PatXYZ
on 2/24/12 6:43 am
So, day 4 of optifast is going ok. Going to have my 3rd shake soon. I had a rough time with my first shake of the day and couldn't fini**** but all of the second one went down fine. I really don't like the vanilla. I bought some sugar-free peppermint syrup that is awesome in the chocolate though and I'm liking that pretty well. The hunger is getting less, I expect in another day or two it'll probably be gone. I've made myself some crystal light popsicle to snack on this weekend too, which should be a nice change.

Today was my last day of work before surgery. It was a pretty rough week. I had some long days in court and found myself fatigued and not putting as much energy as I usually would into what I do, but I got through it. Today is the first day that I've gotten a headache, and I suspect I haven't drank enough up to this point in the day, just over a litre, so I'm going to hit the fluids hard this evening. I almost left the office today without putting on my out of office notification, but remembered at the last minute. A bunch of my colleagues gave me a kind send-off as I headed out. I haven't shared all the details of my surgery with all of them, but they all know I'm going to be off for 3 months due to stomach and jaw surgery (6 weeks after my DS) and are all very supportive.

I'm really glad to be off all next week as it'll give me a chance to rest before surgery and to get a lot of things done and out of the way (taxes, spring cleaning, post-op grocery shopping and medical appointments) over the course of a week instead of just a weekend! I know the surgery is just 12 days away but it still feels pretty unreal!
Hanneli xoxo
on 2/24/12 6:54 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12
 Good luck! :) 

Lorie H.
on 2/24/12 9:34 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 04/04/12
Congrate to you, and please keep us posted on you Optifast journey, as I will be starting this on March 14, I can hardly wait.  Surgery on April 4 at Toronto Eastern Hospital.

But my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Referral:  May 2011   Orientation:  Aug 10/2011    Sleep Clinic Retest:  Sept 28/2011 Nurse:  Sept 28/2011  Social Worker:  Nov 7/2011  (SW-no show)   Social Worker:  Dec 12/2011   Nutrition Class:  Dec 12/2011  Nutritional:  Dec 19/2011    Psycho-Social:  Dec 19/2011   Surgeon Appt:  Feb 24/2012   SURGERY DATE:  APRIL 4/2012!!!!    WORTH THE WAIT!!!

on_my_way2011
on 2/24/12 9:48 am - Canada

You are doing great...it will all be over before you know it!!

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

savasana
on 2/24/12 10:20 am - St. Thomas, Canada
RNY on 03/06/12
 I'm on day three of opti and I know exactly how you are feeling!  It is amazing how we can function through the clumsy-headedness of this whole thing.

You are so fortunate to have this week off before surgery!

PatXYZ
on 2/24/12 11:24 am
Thanks for your support everyone!
TBIYTC
on 2/24/12 12:53 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
Good luck with the rest of the Opti and getting ready for surgery!

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

Donnaslifepart2
on 2/24/12 10:25 pm - Canada
Try some Crystal Light blended into the Vanilla Optifast.  It changes the taste considerably for the better.

The week before my surgery, I painted my livingroom (I know I was crazy but in my twisted mind I was thinking that if I died on the table and my hubby had to sell the house, a different colour would make it more saleable - how crazy is that! Can you say insurance?)

Good luck with your Sx. Rest and don't paint your livingroom!

sam1am
on 2/24/12 11:37 pm
 A lot of people enjoy the chocolate and vanilla mixed. I guess it's one way to get rid of the vanilla.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

OKNEE FE + 3
on 2/25/12 2:45 am
Hi Pat,

Don't be shocked but I am going to try and give you some ideas about how to get through the vanilla Optifast.  I have a bit of experience as I could only have the vanilla Optifast (chocolate and my digestive system are not on speaking terms), I was on it for three weeks.

1.  as some one already suggested consider mixing vanilla and chocolate (half and half)
2.  I mixed my morning opti with decaf coffee, I found I needed something warm to start my day so I made decaf coffee (about 3/4 of the magic bullet mug) and added some room temperature water to it to "cool it down" add the opti and spin.  Always add the opti to the coffee never coffee into the opti as it ends up "gritty".  Maybe add some sugar free Carmel flavour syrup to it and feel decadent
3.consider adding a teaspoon or two of cocoa, or cocoa and decaf coffee to make a nice "mocha"
4.  I added orange crystal lite to my lunch shake and it tasted like a creamsicle
5.  I added raspberry ice to my supper one and it tasted like raspberry cream
6.  I know some people who added Epicurean savoury spice mixes as they just craved something savory
7.  Pumpkin pie spice strikes me as a possibility a nice "pumpkin" shake
8. Crystal Lite has a "ginger peach flavour" I like in my water. . .it might be worth consideration

I wish you the best of luck Pat, we have had our differences and as I said in my PM we will agree to disagree, but we are all on the same journey.

In closing one more pearl. . .you don't have to like the optifast. . .or even your post-op protein shake choice, you do however need to drink it. . .it's a means to an end. . .consider it your medicine. . .hold your nose and slug it back.

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

Most Active
Recent Topics