Might as well face it ...

StevesGal
on 3/1/12 9:35 am - Hamilton, Canada

.... I'm addicted to carbs. 

I've come to realize this, and I hate it!  After so many years of being drawn to carbs (mostly potatoes in any form), I can't shake it that easily.  I started adding crackers to my cheese, and eating potatoes, rice, etc. after my protein before my veg.  Not that I was eating a lot (I do still get my protein in first), but I've discovered that I just can't not eat the carbs.  This is probably why I've noticed my weight bouncing up and down the past few months.

So, going forward, I've decided to leave them off my plate until I have eaten the protein and veg first.  The most I will allow myself is a few crackers with my cheese, but not sandwiching the cheese like before.  I need the crunch of the cracker - so much protein is chewing and no sound.

Hopefully, this will get my weight going down regularly again.  After all, I need to look good in my Matron Of Honour dress in June!

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

JennR
on 3/1/12 10:10 am
You and me both! I didn't get the way I was by being addicted to romaine and broiled fish. As much as I wanted to hold them at bay too many carbs are creeping back my way. Today was a particularly bad day. I know what the problem is, I get bored, I start reading and if I am reading I have to snack. It's like the people that smoke and drink alcohol, for me it is reading and snacking. Well I guess that means I need to stop reading and find something else to do with my spare time!

Allaryanna
on 3/1/12 9:52 pm - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/09/12
 One way I used to counteract the crunch with cheese factor during my atkins days was using slices of cucumber instead of crackers.  OR if you can ever find them melba toast used to make a protein round cracker that was awsome haven't seen it in about 1 year in our local stores though.

Referral: January 2010     Orientation: Dec 2010      1st Appt's : April 26/2011       Surgery : Feb 9 / 2012      

Starting Weight:  265   Surgeons Goal : 187lbs    Personal Goal: 150lbs 

less_of_me
on 3/2/12 12:33 am - Ottawa, Canada
You could also try lavash crackers.  It has the crunch, but less carbs I believe than crackers.  I get it at the superstore.  The link provides the nutritional details.

http://ca.ozerybakeryinc.com/products/lavash/

Lavash Multi Grain & Honey
jdance
on 3/2/12 2:04 am - Canada
I know what you mean, those nasty old pototoes and rice.
I usually put a small portion of them on my plate along with everything else, at least i'm getting in protein and vegis and then i eat the heavier stuff if there's room.

The crackers I'm able to stay away from, usually. But sometimes you just gotta have one.

It will slow down the weight loss, have to figure out if you're happy with that or not. took me over a year to hit my goal because i allowed some of that stuff in my diet.

I feel your frustration/pain/cravings.....

irol770
on 3/2/12 2:14 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
I am also totally addicted to carbs.  If they are there, it is hard for me to not have them.  I do try to eliminate them as much as possible, but I find it hard when I cook family meals such as pasta or rice.  And how can you have turkey and gravy and no mashed potatoes?! 

I have been eating cheese with apples lately.  I love the taste.  I buy the really crips, sweet apples like royal gala and cut thin slices of apple and put it under my cheese like a cracker.  The sweet of the apple and the sharp of the cheese go so well together and I still get that crunch!
Glitter Text Generator

StevesGal
on 3/2/12 3:30 am - Hamilton, Canada
Thanks for the ideas, ladies.  My favourite cracker is Vegetable Thins - I'm anal about matching up the shapes before putting the cheese inbetween!  LOL!

I'll have to see if I can find those Melba toast rounds.

Time for my cheese now!

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Most Active
Recent Topics