Almost 2 weeks out from DS surgery

PatXYZ
on 3/19/12 12:01 pm
Hello Everyone!

First of all, I want to say thank you to everyone who has sent me messages wishing me well since surgery. It's so nice to hear from people and know people are interested in how I'm doing!

I will be two weeks out from my Duodenal Switch on Wednesday and overall I feel like I am doing pretty well. Nausea has been the biggest challenge by far, much worse than the pain for me. The only significant pain I had was the first couple of days in hospital and since then I've been taking pain meds just as needed for some residual pain in my lower left abdomen. I had little gas pain and have been having normal, regular BMs, so I'm quite happy overall. The nausea is completely unpredictable and completely overwhelming by times, but I am taking Prevacid daily and Zofran as needed. I'm hoping the situation will improve over the next week.

I've not struggled too much with getting in my fluids and am working on increasing my protein intake. I'm acting as a guinea pig for a new post-op eating protocol so I'm able to experiment with some soft foods this week. So far a soft poached egg is my new best friend, refried beans with sour cream was fine, and I'm going to start experimenting more with ricotta and other soft cheeses. Anything sweet is extremely hard to stomach, so I'm glad to have more savoury options and I'm going to look into a line of ready to eat soups that was recommended to me tonight as well.

Walking can be a challenge when I'm feeling nauseous, but I'm getting out for at least one longer walk each day and otherwise am puttering around lots in my place. So far I've lost 15lbs on optifast and a further 9lbs since surgery, with a goal of losing a total of 100lbs from my highest weight of 235 (I'm 5'2"). I've decided just to weigh once a week on Wednesdays, for as long as it doesn't drive me crazy! I'm trying to measure success in other ways, like my normal fasting glucose numbers and clothes that are starting to get loose.

So, a couple of people had contacted me right around the time of my surgery for more info on the DS, and I wasn't really well enough at the time to provide more assistance with research and whatnot, so I wanted to say that I'm feeling much better now and welcome any questions people have about the procedure. Please just send me a PM!
sam1am
on 3/19/12 12:06 pm
Hi Trish,

I'm glad to hear that your recovery has been a good one.  I have to say, that I have always handled pain, much better than nausea, so I feel for you.  I hope that is resolved soon.

Continued success!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

JJ_
on 3/19/12 12:49 pm
 Hi Pat,  glad to hear you are starting to enjoy different food even with the nausea.  May your recovery continue to come along well.

Judy
meemee1966
on 3/19/12 1:56 pm - Canada

hi pat i believe i was one of the people i want to apologize bugging you when you first got out of hospital very inconsiderate you gave me lots of information even though you had just gotten out that week thanks so much for taking time to get back to me i really appreciate it it good to hear you are doing well other than nausea take care

mary

HopefulMar
on 3/19/12 9:14 pm - Stoney Creek, Canada
Hi Pat,
I am glad you are home recovering, I wish you continued success and hope the nausea will end soon for you. I wish you all the best.
Karen M.
on 3/19/12 10:13 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Good to hear from you, Pat and glad to hear you're doing well! 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Tanya T.
on 3/19/12 10:22 pm
Glad to hear your adjusting so well!!

Tanya

Brenda T.
on 3/19/12 11:18 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Great to hear your update.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

DonnaK12
on 3/20/12 12:07 am - Brooklin, Canada
RNY on 04/25/12
I'm glad you are doing well!

NervousNelly57
on 3/20/12 12:21 am - Guelph, Canada
It's good to hear things are going well for you!

Keep getting better every day!

Sharon

Most Active
Recent Topics