need protein

slim115
on 4/1/12 1:46 am - peterborough, Canada
 hey folks

well ending week 1 post op here....down 43 since start of opti....off all pain meds....doin treadmill at least 30 mins a day....BUT.....can't stand protein powders....have tried 5 or 6...they make me nauseous ....cottage cheese too....soup, oatmeal and Greek yogurt are fine but without the shakes I'm not getting enough protein.....any suggestions for week 2 of full fluids????

spence
Opti Weight-386lbs.............Surgery Weight- 355 lbs...........Goal Weight- 200lbs        
(deactivated member)
on 4/1/12 1:54 am - Toronto, Canada
 I just forced myself to drink my protein.  Luckily, it didn't make me throw up although I did find it slightly nauseating.  A cup with a closed lid helps since I was super sensitive to smell for a while after surgery.  Tell yourself its medicine and that you have to take it.  Break it down into small goals of so many teaspoons/tablespoons within a certain time period.  Eat less food and leave more room for the protein drinks.  I could never add protein powder to my food...just tasted too gross to me, but maybe this will work for you.

Keep trying and you will slowly get more protein in. Good luck and congrats on your surgery!
Stonelady
on 4/1/12 1:54 am - Canada
Have you tried protein powders with flavouring?  We use SF chocolate syrup from Home Outfitters...  You can also buy SF Syrup at Starbucks...  That helped me.

Karen W.
on 4/1/12 2:06 am - Canada
Premier Protein shakes from Costco; 1/2 shake mixed with 1/4C skim milk and 1 tsp instant decaf = 100 cal and 17g protein, and tastes pretty good.

Otherwise, treat your protein drinks as a prescription.  Might not like it, but you can get really sick from lack of protein (and it takes a long time to recover from it).  Soon enough you'll be able to have protein-dense food!

RNY April 11, 2011       

Derek C.
on 4/1/12 2:18 am - North Bay , Canada
Try adding the powder to ur puree or soups- smoothies even - word of caution on using the treadmill for 30 minutes only one week out - ensure you are not going to hard as your body and pouch are still in healing mode.  Congrats on your progress one week out but remember these changes are designed for a lifetime - we dont have to lose it all in the first month

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

Moselle
on 4/1/12 2:38 am - Athens, Canada
I mixed my ready-made protein with skim milk to make it tolerable. Now I use Lean-fit protein powder from Costco mixed with sf syrup in my decaf coffee on the weekends for a protein-latte.

Just keep trying different ways to make yourself drink the protein , as one other the others said, at this stage you just treat it like a prescription and force yourself to do it.

It does get a little better every day.  I also caution to go easy on the exercise this early out - they told me nothing but walking for about the first month.

All the best, Muriel
Linda G.
on 4/1/12 3:16 am - Canada
I'm not enjoying the protein post op either.  The premier shakes from Costco aren't too bad.  I drink one a day, but next week my menu says I have to drink 2...yuck.  My sample menus also say 1 tablespoon of protein powder in my food.  I don't put it in my soup because it changed the texture too much but in yoghurt or applesauce I don't even notice it.  I am tired of cottage cheese though.  Food has suddenly become quite boring. 

referral-July 28, 2011, orientation-September 8, nurse pract-September 13, social worker-September 22, nutrition class-November 1, surgeon appt-November 4,  psych-Jan 11, Catscan-Jan 12, NUT-Jan 20, Endoscopy-Jan 28, Surgeon meeting- Feb 10, Surgery-March 23  Dr. Grantcharov    
Nathalie_Can
on 4/1/12 4:55 am
I take like many, the costco protein shakes....i cannot stand powder ones....but what I do that works like a charm is that I have discovered, from others suggestion, DaVinci's syrup...its 0 across the board and I had about an oz to my shake in a glass and works like a charm....they have many flavours on The Low Carb Grocer online and if lucky, you may find them at Winners or tey have a store in the Markham region if that's close to your region.....the shake from Costco comes up to $1,67 per shake.

Hope this helps!
Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

slim115
on 4/1/12 5:01 am - peterborough, Canada
 Thanks everyone

Opti Weight-386lbs.............Surgery Weight- 355 lbs...........Goal Weight- 200lbs        
Lorraine M.
on 4/1/12 6:35 am - Canada
 Hi Spence,

I feel like I have tried every protein shake and powder in the country. I dont even like the Costco ones any more. I finally bought the ones online where I get my Oppurity batiatric vitamins from www.unjury.com and their protein shakes taste fantastic. They are powders that I mix with my 1% lactose free skim milk. The chocolate and strawberry are both amazing. I like them both so much that I usually mix 3/4 scoop of each and shake it up. It doesnt clump like others and is not thick. Check out the website. They are not cheap but worth the money. I have to pay duty when I order the vitamins but last time just ordered shakes and there was no duty. Go figure our government(?). Their chewable vitamins are so good I order 6 months at a time of the multi and the Calcium.

Good luck,

Most Active
Recent Topics