Night eating addiction!

MFislandgirl
on 4/23/12 2:00 am - Canada
I am pre-op and I am trying to really cut back on my night eating...and soon get to the point of only having a light little snack before 8:00 pm.  It's like know matter how hard I try I just can't seem to stop!  I was saying to my mom....it's an addicton and just something I' ve done for so many year that I feel powerless over it. 

I just feel like sharing with ssomeone other thean my mom today about how Ifeel...and I know most of you understand what I'm going through
MooseFactoryGirl {JEN}  

WLS:Summer 2013. Orient:March 16, 2012. Psych:April 25, 2012. SW:April 25, 2012. Dietitian:April 26, 2012. Reg Nurse:April 26, 2012. Doc:April 26, 2012.    
(deactivated member)
on 4/23/12 2:28 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I think it's more of a bad habit than an addiction. I used to graze all night after dinner then one day I just told myself there was no reason for it.  I ate dinner at 6pm and then didn't allow myself back in the kitchen for anything other than lo/no calorie drinks like tea, water, crystal light, etc.  It was tough at first but after a few weeks it was just habit NOT to eat after dinner.
(deactivated member)
on 4/23/12 2:33 am
I know this is a tough one, but thankfully after surgery if you follow your rules you will be okay.

One of the most important rules in MY book is not to eat and drink at the same time. So when I "think" I am hungry I take a drink because I stand by this rule. I will not take a bite for 30-40 minutes if I have had a drink and then the "feeling" of wanting food passes.

The WLS is a tool and if you learn how to use the tool you will succeed! It is certainly good for you to explore all your feelings and reasons why you are eating before surgery.
Jason W.
on 4/23/12 4:58 am - Canada
I do the same, drink a sugar free liquid and it will pass most of the time.
Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

Catw
on 4/23/12 2:35 am - Arnprior, Canada
You're right it is an addiction, and it is hard to quit.  But you are not powerless over it.  You will beat this addition, I know you can.  One suggestion you might try is to do something with your hands in the evenings.  If your hands are busy with something, they can't reach for food.  I've done this and it works.  Find a project, or a craft or something.  I've done knitting, and it keeps my hands busy and is portable.  For quick projects, try dish cloths, or try knitting hats and mitts etc. for a maternity ward. If you want something that is a bit bigger, try an afghan.  If knitting isn't for you, try something that does interest you.  Anything that will keep your hands and mind off of that snack.

Good Luck!
Cathy

350Ann180
on 4/23/12 2:42 am - St. Williams, Canada
VSG on 05/02/12
I'm with Cathy - find something to do with your hands.  I started scrapbooking and making cards - my time is more productive and I am not infront of the TV either.

Ann

Monica M.
on 4/23/12 3:09 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
try changing up your snack to a healthier something. Or change your habit, if you usually sit and watch tv, maybe try reading, or doing a craft or something. Changing up your routine is sometimes a good way to change other habits as well.

MFislandgirl
on 4/23/12 3:36 am - Canada
Thank you everyone for all your input!  Every idea helps!
MooseFactoryGirl {JEN}  

WLS:Summer 2013. Orient:March 16, 2012. Psych:April 25, 2012. SW:April 25, 2012. Dietitian:April 26, 2012. Reg Nurse:April 26, 2012. Doc:April 26, 2012.    
Lorraine M.
on 4/23/12 3:41 am - Canada
Night time is the worst time for me before and still after surgery. I am usually up very late and I am not good with doing thinks with my hands.

I often use sugar free freeze sticks (freezies or fla-vor-ice) as a snack at night. If I still am short my protein for the day I will have a cheese stick or try to snack with protein and not carbs. My schedule is all out of whack as I am on sick leave awaiting my spine surgery. I don't go to sleep until 2-3am so that is a long time after dinner at 8pm. I seem to need to have something to eat every 4 hours but if you stick to protein it fills you up more and you will feel satisfied. But night time eating is still my most major challenge.

good luck, 

350Ann180
on 4/23/12 4:21 am - St. Williams, Canada
VSG on 05/02/12
OOOHHH! Had another idea - I use this sometimes.  Go brush your teeth!  That makes everything taste horrible .....

Most Active
Recent Topics