How soon can I swim after surgery?

northernlight
on 5/21/12 3:01 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi all! I'm 10 days post-op, busy learning about my Sleeve and doing very well, I think. I was just wondering about when I will be able to swim in my pool and when it's safe for me to join an Aqua-fitness class? I never thought to ask my surgeon about this so I thought that I would post on here to see what other people's timelines were like when it came to swimming and/or exercise?

Deb

Elisabeth G.
on 5/21/12 3:06 am - Windsor, Canada
 I want to know the same thing since my surgery is in July will be wanting to get back into my pool as soon as I am allowed

cayleighsmom
on 5/21/12 3:09 am
RNY on 06/05/12
i asked dr.sullivan last week when i could go swimming post surgery, and he told me about a week post-op.  i did not ask about aqua fit, but he did say at 3 weeks post op i could resume all activites. 

Barbie
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/12 3:59 am - Guelph, Canada
 pool... when the steri strips wear off so about a week

lake ... when there is no signs of an open wound.. scabbing, oozing.... ect.. pink skin is ok as long as there is no scab
msheavyhearted
on 5/21/12 4:04 am - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
I waited about 4 weeks. You really want to make sure all your incisions are well healed as introducing an infection would NOT be a good idea. Plus, I know most pools have rules about swimming with "open sores". I think recent incisions count.

My personal opinion (and this is what was recommended to me by my team) was to focus on walking for the first little while. After one week post op I was up to 5 Km/day but it took me a lot longer then than it does to do the same walk now at 3 1/2 months post op. Don't push yourself too quickly. My centre was reluctant to have me "work-out" until 4 weeks post op. Now I'm swimming and biking and hiking and even doing a little running. Go at it slowly and before you know it you'll be exercising more than you ever imagined.
Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

Monica M.
on 5/21/12 4:33 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
as soon as your incisions are healed up.

JennR
on 5/21/12 6:26 am
As soon as your incisions are healed you can go in the pool or lake etc. As for the exercise portion it really depends on you. Don't jump into something that is going to be too strenuous. You want to challenge yourself but be realistic.

robinmarie1959
on 5/21/12 9:36 am - Canada
 they told me 6 wks after
northernlight
on 5/21/12 9:40 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks everyone, for taking the time to answer my questions!  

Deb

Joyce J.
on 5/22/12 2:49 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Deb

Well assuming you could swim before surgery LOL(, just kidding, couldn't resist), once the incisions heal you should be good to go

My joke on here is my Surgeon told me I could drive two weeks out of surgery and I thought that was awesome since I couldn't prior to surgery LOL

Have a great day

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Most Active
Recent Topics