My bumpy road to acceptance! Sorry, its long.....

Nikkismom
on 7/25/12 7:17 am - Toronto, Canada
Hello folks!
Well yesterday was quite a nail biter adventure for me. I took my friend Dee with me as I knew I would need a drive home. My day at HRHH started with a 2nd visit with the dietician. I was prepared for her many questions and felt good afterwards. She gave me the OK. A long wait, done at Vaughan Mills, where I used incredible restraint, and purchased nothing but lunch. I went back to HRHH where I had to see my eye doc. Thank goodness for the parking pass as he too is in the same building. This next appointment had me quite stressed. I have been, once again, losing my sight. This is my 3rd time. The first time I was completely blind, 2 years ago. I have a bizarre illness called chronic multi-organ sarcoidosis. I was an ER RN for many years and this was not one of the many health issues that I encountered. And, I have learned that it does not hit any 2 patients the same way. For me, I have had my liver, lungs, heart, joints, skin and eyes affected. Two of the many drugs that I have had to endure are Methotrexate ( a chemo drug) and my hated, prednisone (up to 40 mg/day for over 2 years) which has saved my life and eyesight. It also caused me almost 100lb weight gain. I did not want to be on the prednisone when being considered for the surgery as I knew they would probably reject me! So, my Sarcoid Doc at Mt Sinai has allowed me to go off of the prednisone for this process I have been working through, just like all of us. I can live through the joint pain, palpitations, the awful skin rash, and so far, no problems breathing. I could not, however, allow my sight to disappear. This eye thing has been very scarey. So yesterday I returned to have my eyes treated. I have gradually been losing my sight to this illness and had injections of prednisone into each eye at 2:40 yesterday. Ouch! Yuk! Dang!!!! but no swear words! So.... I travelled, under Dee's care, up to "see" Dr. Glazer with both eyes patched. My worry through all of this is that I would b rejected for the surgery because of the illness and drugs but after our visit, he told me that he would approve me!!!!!! If I had been able to, I would have done a cartwheel through the waiting room, but would likely have injured myself and everyone would have seen my panties......so I just said thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone! So, this morning I can see, not bad, without  a 72 font. I am so excited that I am still on this journey, even with this silly illness. I feel so blessed and grateful for many things and especially for living in this amazing country where we have access to great healthcare. Thank you for reading my long post. I hope everyone has had an amazing day! P.S. I just got my date! August 21..... Yea!! Carol

Referral April 2012, Surgery August 21, 2012
sam1am
on 7/25/12 7:27 am
Sorry to hear about your illness, but big congratz on your approval and date! 

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

(deactivated member)
on 7/25/12 7:39 am - Straford, Canada
 Scarey stuff but I am gald you're green lighted!  Enjoy the ride and here's hoping your weight loss will help your sarcoidosis!  Regards, Ian  
Btrue2u
on 7/25/12 7:55 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
That is wonderful news.  I wish you all the best  

20AUG12-8AM SURGERY AT ST.JOES IN TORONTO  W/ DR SMITH                        

(deactivated member)
on 7/25/12 9:07 am - Canada
RNY on 08/10/12
 Woot woot! Congrats on your date which just so happens is my birthday!!! Lol
(deactivated member)
on 7/25/12 10:40 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
So glad that you got the Okay from Doc Glazer.
gardeninggal
on 7/25/12 12:55 pm - Midland, Canada
 Wow Carol!!! that is just amazing news and I am so very happy for you :-)  You sure have had your obstacles and you have shown great strength and perseverance.  Your date is awesome and not so far away.  Great news

Nikkismom
on 7/25/12 1:08 pm - Toronto, Canada
Thank you all for your good wishes. I have been so excited for all of you with your safe surgeries and exciting weight losses. The advice of the vets is invaluable.
This forum is so supportive of everyone and I would not expect anything else of people who share a common, life long challenge which comes with its own social prejudice. We have a common goal, to be healthy.
I am now excited because it is MY turn soon to sit on the bench! I will have lots more questions then.
God Bless!
Carol

Referral April 2012, Surgery August 21, 2012
Blu-Diva
on 7/25/12 1:19 pm - Hamilton, Canada
 Best wishes Carol, WOOO HOOOO

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

Catherine S.
on 7/25/12 4:19 pm - Canada
 Congrats on getting the green light for surgery. That is such exciting news!

Catherine
Most Active
Recent Topics