Planning, planning, planning..... for post op success!

Nikkismom
on 7/27/12 7:30 am - Toronto, Canada
Hello folks,

I live by myself so I am planning for my needs for once I am home. Please let me know what I should be organizing;
1. How much time will I need help or someone staying with me once I am home? I'm 60 yrs old
2. What kinds of things will I need help with? I know some lucky friend might get kitty litter clean up!
3. Besides the list that they gave me regarding food when I get home, can anyone think of anything else I might need to buy or organize before I go in?
Thank you for all your feedback!
Carol

Referral April 2012, Surgery August 21, 2012
JJ_
on 7/27/12 8:11 am
Hi Carol,

1.  My adult daughter stayed with me for 3 days.  She was prepared to be with me for a week, however, I was able to do stuff myself and was not on painkillers.

2.  You cannot lift anything over 10 lbs.....vacuum, groceries, small children...

3.  I bought my vitamins before surgery.  My laundry was done.

Judy
sam1am
on 7/27/12 8:30 am
Depending on how mobile you are now, you may or may not need any help.  My hubby stayed home with me for a few days, but I don't think he did anything other than moral support (and kitty litter). You could think about cooking a bit, but your tastes will likely change so there's not much sense in making too much.   I had my vitamins ready, laundry up to date as well as cleaning etc.

All the best!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

flyingwoman
on 7/27/12 9:30 am
Might need help for first few days getting up from chairs, bed, etc. it's nice to have a companion for your first few outdoor walks. No lifting or exertion, so if hat is part of your daily life...

I'd recommend a good water-mixing protein like Syntrax nectar or weidar's, as milk mixing drinks are two thick for he first week.
Nikkismom
on 7/27/12 10:09 am - Toronto, Canada
Thank you all. WOW, if milk is going to be too thick to drink, how on earth will I get some of the supliments down! I have gummymulti- vitamins, disolving Vit DE and B12. But I wasn't able to find calcium citrate in anything other than horse pills. And, where do I purchase Syntrax nectar or weidar's and what do I do with them?
Thanks for any further answers.
Carol

Donna E.
on 7/27/12 10:41 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 08/16/12

Try Cosco for liquid calcium citrate.  I bought a pack of  2 bottles for about $16.00.  I am hoping that will be enough for the first few weeks after surgery.

debralight
on 7/27/12 1:29 pm - Canada
I think its all individual as i was okay with the "regular" protein shakes - just only had a tiny portion at a time.
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Susan B.
on 7/29/12 12:29 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/17/12
On July 27, 2012 at 5:09 PM Pacific Time, Nikkismom wrote:
Thank you all. WOW, if milk is going to be too thick to drink, how on earth will I get some of the supliments down! I have gummymulti- vitamins, disolving Vit DE and B12. But I wasn't able to find calcium citrate in anything other than horse pills. And, where do I purchase Syntrax nectar or weidar's and what do I do with them?
Thanks for any further answers.
Carol
I was told NOT to use the gummy vitamins.  You need chewable, which is very different to the gummy ones.  The gummy ones will get stuck and cause you discomfort.

You can either crush your pills or get a pill spliter so you can cut them in half or in 4's 

I have found it easier to use a pill dispenser. then I fill it for the week and I am sure I have taken all my supplements.

Post op you need to continually sip your fluids or you will not get enough in.  That is why it is difficult to get enough in.  It is the amount of fluids you can take at once, you can only take 25-30 mls at one time.  I found it easier to use a couple of the small plastic measuring cups (you can buy them from the drug store from the pharmacist)  I kept my fluid on the coffee table and drank one 30 ml cup per 15-30 mins.

I was ok after a couple of days to take care of myself, family was around but I did my own thing.

From Orientation at TWH to Surgical date~6 months 

Nikkismom
on 7/29/12 1:26 pm - Toronto, Canada
Thank you Susan,
That does make sense as I read your reply. Hmmm......I wonder whether Shopper's will take the unopened bottle back.  Where did you purchase your chewable multivites?
I have a large pill dispenser and am swallowing huge pills at the moment but am gathering info about where I can get the needed products.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I don't know what I would do without OH!
Carol

gardeninggal
on 7/27/12 1:08 pm, edited 7/27/12 1:08 pm - Midland, Canada
Good for you for planning and putting it out there!  personally I am hoping to find a zipper front light weight housecoat and if I can't find one the hospital gowns are it, also slip on rubber soled slippers (or maybe birkenstocks).  I am planning on taking a small fan and there was also a suggestion for ear plugs for the stay.  As for home the laundry, supplies, and cleaning will be in place and every man  for himself.  I purchased the Premier Nutrition shakes at Costco (2 cases) for post-op  as well as tetra packs of chicken and beef broth, sugar free puddings and President's Choice Blue Menu instant plain oatmeal.  You are keen and that is the best way to be.   Enjoy your weekend,

Nancy

Most Active
Recent Topics