Newbie needing help

pink7sadie
on 8/10/12 11:44 am
Hi All!  I am just beginning to research RNY.  (I assume that's the surgery I will have if I choose this route).  I haven't talked to my Dr. yet, I want to know more about it.  

Can you share stories?  When / why you chose this route?

Also, I'm seeing a lot of dates in people's signatures.  What are they?  And someone celebrating they are "overweight"  What is that about (sounds fun!)  What did you need to know when you were the "new kid"

TIA!
RufusLynx
on 8/10/12 5:36 am, edited 8/10/12 5:36 am - Canada
Hi Sadie...

Welcome to OH... I am new here as well, and on the same path of discovery as you are, except, i recently made the decision to go ahead with Weight Loss Surgery. (WLS).

You will find lots of acronyms and you'll have to do some reading to figure out what all they mean, but otherwise this site is pretty easy to read and learn from.

One suggestion:, find a local support group... I live in Peterborough and attended a coffee meeting last week and that made all the difference. I met a bunch of really nice folks, each of whom had gone through the process at various times and so they each had information to share with me, to help me discover what lies ahead.

I chose this route of WLS because I am tired of carryting around an extra 100lbs. I have trouble climbing stairs, loading my van, tying my shoes, and let's not even discuss sex! After reading many of the posts here, I see that I can get back some of the stamina I have lost and begin again to enjoy my life.

The dates in peoples' signatures refer to the dates of the various steps. In mine, you'll see just one date, the date I was referred by my family doctor... just a few days ago!

Read a lot here, ask questions and soon yoiu'll be informed enough to make a wise decision.

Like I said, i'm still new here, but if I can help feel free to message me.

Peter

Referred: August 8, 2012. - Referral to HRRH  Dr. Hagan Dec 20 - Surgery scheduled for April 16, 2013! Surgery completed and I`m doing fine!

Hannahmumma03
on 8/10/12 1:15 pm - Oshawa Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the ontario forum!! You will learn so much and make many friends! Agreed with rufuslynx...find a support group for weight loss surgery in your area and you can even go before you get a referral. Good luck with your journey! I sending you a friend request!
Christie

Referral August 18th 2011               Orientation Dec 7th 2011
SW Jan 12 2012                                  Nurse Jan 12 2012
Nut. Class Feb 8th 2012                  Psych  May 16th 2012
Dietician May 16th 2012                   Meet The Surgeon Sept 21 2012
PATTS: November 19th 2012           Surgery: November 29th 2012

My Angel is: Brenda T. 

sam1am
on 8/10/12 1:22 pm
Welcome to the Ontario board!  There is a whole lot to learn trust me and much of it you can learn right here.  I would go back and read several threads, go to the search up in the top corner and enter whatever questions you have and you're bound to get a plethora of answers.  Make sure you study the different types of surgery and fight (if you have to) for what you want.  You can "search" food stages, exercise, whatever you can think of and it you can't find what you're looking for, start a thread asking a question (or several).

Glad to have you here!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/10/12 1:29 pm - Windsor, Canada
 Welcome my anonymous friend,

the celebration of being overweight is because people have left the classification of obese according to bmi charts and are now merely classified as overweight :-)

Dawnie

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

tbtilalaf
on 8/10/12 2:33 pm
Hi there and welcome!

I am only 3 weeks post op. (FYI post is after surgery and pre is before I didn't know this for the longest time lol)  Defidently do your research on the surgery, as it is not for everyone, but usually people make the right choice, and are VERY happy with the results.  I am still recovering but it takes time and i am working through it slowly, (no energy as I am only eating full fulids and very small amounts which is ok with me because at this stage i am not hungrey at all, which will change eventually).  
and the answer to the celebrating being overweight is absoultly right! Being overweight is way better than being obease anyday!   

Good luck! 
Melissa

* Weight loss surgery does not control WHAT goes into your mouth only how MUCH* 

Melissa!

Surgery was July 19 2012, and I am doing great!! Only one regret....wish I did this years ago!!!!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CENTURY CLUB!

Toni B.
on 8/10/12 3:06 pm - Sudbury, Ontario
RNY on 01/19/12
Welcome to OH.... you will learn so much on this website.... keep reading!

My doctor suggested this surgery to me, I researched the heck out of it and decided that the requirements on my part, to be successfuly at it, far out-weighted (pardon the pun) the risks and doubts I had about the surgery. Nevermind the endless list of majorly obvious benefits to losing weight.

As for celebrating being "overweight", well I imagine that person was celebrating graduating to a lower BMI classification...where he or she is no longer considered "morbidly obese" or "obese", but now weighs in at the "overweight" catergory...which is a huge accomplisment in terms of weight loss.,.. So naturally, we celebrate!  For example, I am only 7lbs away from celebrating that myself!

Anyway, as I said... keep reading... you will learn almost everything you want to know... and the rest you can learn from the clinics and doctors, if you decide to proceed with the option. This route is not for everyone, but it is a good option for someone who is willing to make all the necessary lifestyle changes to be happier and healither.

Toni..."Bravery is not the absence of fear, but the will to overcome it"
 www.fatgirlchangingherworld.com Twitter:@fatgirlchanging
   Surgery JAN. 19th, 2012 Down 120 lbs & 75 inches @ my last Weigh in!!!!  
Fat Girl Changing her World

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Blu-Diva
on 8/11/12 3:38 pm, edited 8/10/12 8:40 pm - Hamilton, Canada
welcome and congrats, you can lern a lot by logging on everyday.

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

pink7sadie
on 8/11/12 8:26 pm

Thanks for all the immediate support.  Where did you all go for your research?  I've already connected to a member on this board whom has been especially helpful.   

Also, how do I go about finding support groups in my area?  That was another form of research I was hoping to connect with.

TIA!

Most Active
Recent Topics