gall bladder

RufusLynx
on 8/26/12 4:34 pm - Canada
So, I've been reading a lot here and see that some folks have had their gall bladder out at the same time as the surgery and some have not.  I've read a couple of pots from folks *****commend it be taken out.

From what I've read, the risks of leaving it in, is the formation of gall stones. How big a risk is this?

My wife had her gall bladder removed 30 years ago (not assocoiated with WLS) and she says "Don't let them take it out! Her comments stem from the problems she's had with ongoing pain from the surgery and the digestive problems she has had.

She says the pain is no big deal, just sometimes when she twists a certain way she'll get a twinge.

As fas as digestion goes, I think the Gall Bladder produces bile and that help digets fats.. A naturopath directed her to a product called Super Enzyme which contains ox bile and since she started using that after each meal she's had no problems with disgestion.

So, I'd be glad to hear from you folks, your experiences and any info you may have.

Thanks

Peter

Referred: August 8, 2012. - Referral to HRRH  Dr. Hagan Dec 20 - Surgery scheduled for April 16, 2013! Surgery completed and I`m doing fine!

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/26/12 4:40 pm - Windsor, Canada
Gallstones tend to be an issue whenever someone loses weight rather quickly.  So there is a good percentage of the population that gets their gallbladder out after surgery when they develop stones.  It's generally not standard procedure in Ontario. 

Many people that went through the old system out of country, got theirs taken out with surgery. My surgeon opted not to take mine out because I had no gallbladder issues.

My mother and hubby both had theirs out previous to surgery.  They are fine and have no issues with missing theirs.  We had a talk at our support group coffee chat a few nights ago as a lady in our group was worried about getting hers out.  Most people had no issues by far. 

But again, it's not standard procedure to take the gallbladder out here in Ontario. 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Leslie W.
on 8/26/12 4:49 pm - Cobourg, Canada
I was having gall bladder issues pre op with sluggish emptying but no stones. My surgeon did not want to take it out the same time as WLS unless it was absolutely necessary as adding another procedure increases risk/

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Ottawa34
on 8/26/12 6:48 pm - Ottawa, Canada
I had my gallbladder removed 1 yr  after my RNY., only after developing issues with it.

I dont think they'll take it out as a preventative measure...better to keep you parts if you can :) 

Amy   
Submission for surgery -  October 2009            Info session - Jan 2010 
Nut & RN & behaviourist appt - Sept 2010          Follow up NUT appt - Jan 2011
Surg
eon appt - Jan 2011                                     RNY - March 4th, 2011 

cheeky_monkey
on 8/26/12 7:10 pm - Ottawa ON, Canada

I had my gallbladder removed when my daughter was 6 months old, she is 14 now. Never had any problems afterwards...was even eating spagetti for dinner the same day I had it removed.

Referral:  April 2011 <> OrientationOttawa July 15, 2011  <> Nurse:  April 16, 2012 <> Abdominal Ultrasound:  May 2, 2012 <> Behaviourist/Dietitian:  May 8, 2012 <> Education Class: July 11, 2012 <> Meet the Surgeon: July 31, 2012 <> Surgery Date: August 27, 2012

cutekatie
on 8/26/12 7:14 pm
RNY on 05/16/12
Both my parents have had their gallbladders out with no issues, no complications, and no need for supplements.

My mom had to wait a few months to get the surgery and the pain before surgery was the worse.

Both of them had it done laproscopically btw.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

ShallowGirl
on 8/26/12 1:12 pm, edited 8/26/12 1:12 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

They used to remove the gall bladder at the same time with the bypass surgery, in the old days (open).

I asked my surgeon and he told me they don't do it automatically anymore with the Laparoscopic bypass.

If you need your gallbladder removed independently, current procedure is to do it laparoscopically as well.  Some say that doing it laparoscopically is not as good since in the old days they rinsed out the duct/tube and with the lap method they don't, and micro stones (that then grew) could be in the tube.

But bottom line, I still have my gall bladder.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

PatXYZ
on 8/26/12 9:08 pm
My operative report clearly states that the bile duct was flushed and my DS was done laparoscopically, so clearly they can flush the duct while removing the gallbladder laparoscopically.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
dna
on 8/27/12 2:40 am - Canada
I was/am having issues with mine so they are going to take it out at the same time as my RNY on Thursday.

I won't miss it ?  I hope !

I can update later on. 

Peter, maybe your wife's never healed properly or some scar tissue adhered to something it wasn't supposed to hence the pain ?    I get the digestive issues, then again some people are just prone to them.  With or without the gallbladder :) 
Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

RufusLynx
on 8/27/12 7:15 am - Canada
Thanks for all your thoughtful replies. I'm happy to hear that they don't do it as part of the WLS, but only if needed. And i'm happy to hear that there isn't huge consequences if they do take it out.

From what she describes, my wife's gall bladder situation almost took her life... she was several days in ICU because the organ burst during surgery. So, understandably she's not in favor of me having mine out.

But having read your posts here it makes me more confident about it if it does become necessary.

Thanks y'all!

Peter

Referred: August 8, 2012. - Referral to HRRH  Dr. Hagan Dec 20 - Surgery scheduled for April 16, 2013! Surgery completed and I`m doing fine!

Most Active
Recent Topics