Carol's surgery, Tuesday August 21- need advice - sorry... long

Nikkismom
on 8/26/12 4:38 pm - Toronto, Canada
Hello folks,
I had an uneventful surgery last Tuesday and was discharged Thursday, filled with excitement and all the tools I thought I needed for this journey.
I had my surgery at HRRH with Dr. Klein. The nursing care was wonderful, with the exception of one grumpy nurse who worked my last night. On the last full day in the hospital, I noticed that my urine was cloudy and mentioned that to the nurse who said nothing further so I put it out of my mind.
Woke yesterday with a roaring bladder infection with bloody urine, got that looked at and seems I will live.
Before surgery, I had unbelievable and insatiable sugar cravings!
Today, day 5 post op, I find myself wanting, craving, looking for 'je ne sais quois'!
This is what I have had today so far. Still have one meal left.
2 oz sf applesauce
1 Premier protein shake
1/2 c of plain Greek yogurt mixed with 1/4 c  lemon meringue (sf and ff) dessert yogurt
1/2 c chicken boullion
After I have eaten, I not longer feel like more food but there is still an emptiness. I have had 2500 ml of water so far today, staying away from drinking within 30 to 60 minutes after eating.
The sweet things that I have been attracted to have not satisfied my new appetite, which pleases me. I have a feeling in my tummy that 'seems' to be hunger, but I am not sure. 
I know I can't have cheese, but that's what I think I feel like. I know that I cannot have a burger, but that is what I think is calling me! These things are not even in my home!
My question to the wise men and women is ..... what do I 'feed' this feeling? Is there anything that will fill the void? Did anyone else feel this way, or am I the most unique bariatric surgery patient that has ever been?
My dad always said I was different, or was that trouble?

Referral April 2012, Surgery August 21, 2012
Leslie W.
on 8/26/12 4:47 pm - Cobourg, Canada
It is hard 5 days post. Sounds like head hunger to me as at 5 days your pouch is still swollen and the nerve endings are healing so unlikely that it is your pouch that is hungry. Have another premiere shake.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Nikkismom
on 8/26/12 4:53 pm - Toronto, Canada
Thanks Leslie!

Referral April 2012, Surgery August 21, 2012
ShallowGirl
on 8/26/12 10:02 am, edited 8/26/12 10:02 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

I think it's hunger - your total calories are almost zilch. But I know what you mean, it seems like you have 2 organs where once you had one, and the unattached stomach seems hungry.  Also, you are recovering from surgery (and being NPO) which takes energy.

Good work on the water but don't forget your supplements including B complex & C since they are water soluble and wash out.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Most Active
Recent Topics