soup and juice

RufusLynx
on 9/10/12 6:50 am - Canada
Just looking ahead to post op food...

Right now my GW makes me a chicken broth based home made soup with veggies, barley and all sorts of good things and I usually have one or two bowls a week.

Will I be able to tolerate this food post op?

I suspect I may have to go with just the broth at first until my system can handle the cooked veggies and chicken chunks.

As for juice, we use a juicer that grinds and exrtracts the juice. I usuallty use 2 apples, i pear, a large handful of those mini carrots and two to three sticks of celery. Makes a great juice.

Because all the pulp is extracted from the fruit, i expect it will go down easily, but I just though I'd check with you folks.... nott sure about the natural sugars in the apples, pear, etc...

Thanks

Peter

Referred: August 8, 2012. - Referral to HRRH  Dr. Hagan Dec 20 - Surgery scheduled for April 16, 2013! Surgery completed and I`m doing fine!

Patm
on 9/10/12 6:56 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
You will probably find you can only tolerate the broth at first. You can mush up the veg when you get to soft food. The juice sounds okay but make sure it is not too think. I do not do juice because of the sugar content but that is a question for your dietitian

RufusLynx
on 9/10/12 7:20 am - Canada
Yup, its not thick at all...sort of the consistentcy of cream soup...

As for sugar content, I've put that on my list of questions for the dietician.

Thanks

Peter

Referred: August 8, 2012. - Referral to HRRH  Dr. Hagan Dec 20 - Surgery scheduled for April 16, 2013! Surgery completed and I`m doing fine!

Monica M.
on 9/10/12 8:07 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
Good for you for thinking ahead! (btw, what does GW stand for, great wife?)

The soup sounds awesome, you may want to increase the meat and decrease the carbs (barley) but it sounds good. You could put it through the blender once you're on full fluids. The one thing about soups and things is that you're eating more than one food at once, so if you have a bad reaction to eating something, you may not be quite sure which food is the culprit.

as for the juicer, you're better off having the actual fruit, rather than getting your calories from liquids. The solid fruit is more filling than juice. and then there's the sugars, of course.

RufusLynx
on 9/10/12 8:38 am - Canada
Ok, thanks

GW is a short form used for Good Wife, but I'll tell her you prefer Great Wife... cuz she is!

I'm just a romantic fool...

Peter

nata
on 9/10/12 3:20 am, edited 9/10/12 5:39 am - Ottawa, Canada
You'll probably do good with soup, but if you're having RnY, won't it be food with fluids together - a huge no-no for pouchy folks? Now, broth early out is A MUST have food, and it's great that your wife can do it yummy home made. At the pureed/soft stage it will be great as well, but later out... you should ask the experts. My RnY friends don't eat soup 3-4 years postop.

As for the juice... IF you can tolerate the sugar content and IF your calories intake allow it...
IMHO, just personal perspective - NO JUICE for me. I tolerate everything just fine - sleeve doesn't dump,  I still malabsorb A LOT. I live on a diet of over 3000cal a day, yet, I avoid juice as empty liquid calories. The vitamins I supplement ANYWAY exceed anything the fruit juice can offer.

Sorry to disappoint you. hey, I'm sure your great wife makes awesome roasted meats/poultry? That's the best food postop (OK, after all this healing liquid-soft stages) My oven works double time in the last four years, lol
Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
ShallowGirl
on 9/10/12 11:52 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
The soup sounds yummy to me. (RnY) here.

I couldn't/can't tolerate wheat post surgery (bizarre eh?) so pasta is out but barley goes down easy, and soft mushy vegetables - awesome!

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

nata
on 9/10/12 12:49 pm - Ottawa, Canada
We are talking from different perspectives - you're more concerned with keeping something down - natural for early out, and yes, 11 weeks is early out.
I'm talking about staying full for longer time - that's going to be the problem AFTER the honeymoon is over  - about two+ years postop.

Even with a sleeve of DS I find soup getting through way too quickly. Burger keeps me going for four hours, fillet mignon - for 5-6,  soup "calls my name" less than two hours after the meal. Start eating every hour and see how fast pounds creep up.
Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics