Someone kick me good - I was so stupid!

northernlight
on 9/20/12 8:33 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Just got back last weekend from vacation. My hubby & I rented a cabin for 2 weeks up near Algonquin Park, right on a beautiful lake, in the woods - so peaceful & perfect. His sister & her husband rented a cabin next door & we had a fantastic vacation.  I brought all sorts of my healthy food with me so that I could stay on track.

Well, I was good for about 5 days, then I derailed. I had a butter tart here, a few fries from the local chip wagon there, some Moosetracks ice cream one night and a few Fritos around the campfires.  I was so angry at myself - I feel so stupid!!! I know that I can't eat this stuff but my Greek yogurt just sat in the fridge, untouched, while I scarfed down a fresh croissant from the local bakery.  Luckily, at 4 months post-op, my sleeve is still pretty small & it didn't let me eat very much of anything, thank goodness. Amazingly I still managed to lose weight, in spite of my poor food choices. I guess the point I want to make is to stay on your guard - it's way too easy to think that just because you're on vacation or at a special event or it's a holiday, you still have to eat mindfully. I thought I was really prepared & never expected to slip like that - guess I'm not so smart after all!

At the end of our two weeks, on the day before we left, I had a real scare. I had lifted a heavy tote from the table & put it down on the floor. I stood up, feeling dizzy, & took a few steps when suddenly, I collapsed onto the floor and was out like a light! My husband was shaking me & calling my name - my eyes just rolled back in my head and I didn't respond. He ran next door & got his sister & when they came back to our cabin after about 4 minutes, I woke up & felt really disoriented & had a slight headache. I have never in my life fainted - it was really strange. I'm assuming that eating all the high-carb, sugary food while I was up there had something to do with my passing out.  Then again, I was taken off all my diabetes & BP meds a few weeks ago & maybe I had low blood pressure & that's why I fainted.  This week, I got back on track again with my healthy eating & have not had any problems. Just wanted to share this - don't give in to temptation no matter how good the food sounds. I've learned my lesson & am still ticked off with myself!!!! 

Deb

ShallowGirl
on 9/20/12 2:01 pm, edited 9/20/12 2:01 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
I would tell your doctor you fainted / passed out on vacation. He/she may want to run some tests.

Re slipping, well, good thing we don`t have to count `days sober` here.  Life goes on.  Nice that your sleeve saved you.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

JJ_
on 9/21/12 1:22 am
Hey Deb,

No kicking needed.  I looks like you have been kicking yourself already!!

The passing out bit sounds scary, and I would definitely get that checked out by a professional.

Keep putting one foot in front of the other eating plan wise.  You will do better each day.  It isn`t the small slips that got us to the size we were. 

Good luck!

Judy
Karen M.
on 9/21/12 1:54 am - Mississauga, Canada
No kicking, but only cuz I don't have the energy this morning. (Uh, is it morning?  I'm only up because Bryan had to go to work - it's still night, I'm sure of it. LOL)

You're home, you lived to tell about it.  Get back into a healthy routine and carry on.  Power to ya.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kellybelly333
on 9/21/12 2:05 am - Toronto, Canada
Keep calm and carry on my friend. We are all human and make mistakes. You might have had a sugar low, I'm sure you realize that. Carbs will do that when theres no protein ti back you up. Let the professionals know and eat your Greek yogurt

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Karen M.
on 9/21/12 2:30 am - Mississauga, Canada
Totally off topic, but don't those "Keep Calm" posters crack you up?  I myself love the one that says "Keep Calm - cute picture - and Kick Someone's Ass if Need Be.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kellybelly333
on 9/21/12 6:15 am - Toronto, Canada
Mine will always be Keep Calm and Drink Wine lol

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Hanneli xoxo
on 9/20/12 11:27 pm, edited 9/20/12 11:28 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12
I like this one.. Keep calm and eat cupcakes LOL!!

Look at all these! http://www.officedog.co.uk/13506.card.html

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/12 2:56 am - Straford, Canada
 Scarey passing out.  Doc must know though if it doesn't happen again they probably won't do much.  
Yeah this wls is only a tool, can't knock the crappy food out of your hand or mouth (though the rny is more likely to do the latter)!  Your food choices are simply that... YOURS!  
Good luck.  
Nikkismom
on 9/21/12 5:41 am - Toronto, Canada
 As everyone has said, don't beat yourself up and let your doc know. As is said in AA, its just the first drink (butter tart, chocolate bar etc) that you need to avoid. One Day at a Time!
So glad you had a wonderful holiday.
Carol

Referral April 2012, Surgery August 21, 2012
Most Active
Recent Topics