What to do... what to do?

Nicole B.
on 10/1/12 4:57 am - Canada
I'm nearing my second appointments with the nurse, SW and nutritionalist and am gaining weight!  I thought that I was eating better, much better choices and really watching my protein intake.  I know that I faulter here and there, but nothing close to where I was before.

I've had a lot of gut issues, and have recently been switched to Januvia from Metformin as I just couldn't keep from running to the bathroom all the time.  I do work 12 hour shifts and I know that that plays a part, but it seems my insulin requirements are going up and the scale is inching itself as well, I always bounce the same 4-6 pounds up and down, but this whole strict guelp guideline thing has me pulling my hair out!!

How different did you all eat pre op?  Did you make major changes beforehand?

Thanks guys...

Referral: April 2011 to GGH Info: 12/6/14 Nurse: 12/8/17SW: 12/8/17  Diet/Nut: 12/8/17 2nd Nurse: 12/10/4  2nd SW: 12/10/4  2nd Diet/Nut: 12/10/4  Internist: 12/10/12  3rd SW: 12/10/26  3rd Diet/Nut: 12/10/26  Nutrition Class: 12/11/27  Surgeon: 13/2/7 Opti Fast: 13/2/18 Pre-Op: 13/2/28  Surgery Date: 13/3/5 Dr Pereira-Hong

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/12 5:01 am - Straford, Canada
 I may have been in the minority, but I made no changes before optifast.  I have been faithful since then but Mayor Ford and I had the Colonel in common before opti (and I didn't loose weight then either)!  

Perhaps I wasn't paying attention but no one asked me to watch what I ate.  They asked for a food journal, which I did, but it was good, bad and ugly!  
Catw
on 10/1/12 5:14 am - Arnprior, Canada

I wouldn't worry too much.  Is this your first time with the Nutritionalist?  If so, make sure you take a journal of everything (including amounts) that you eat.  Sometimes meds can affect weight issues.  It could be the new meds.

When I went from class to dietician, I tried to make little changes.  Like increasing my water intake, and lowering my junk food intake.   I'd try to take it one small step at a time, so that I could try to master that step before taking the next one.

Are you getting enough water in?  You could be retaining more now too.

Cathy

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/12 5:15 am, edited 10/1/12 5:17 am - Canada
The WMC never told me to loose weight before the surgery, but I have been loosing slowly since this all started in Oct 2010.  What they did say was that once I'm in the program it dosen't matter how much weight I do loose that I would still qualify for the surgery.  I have just been watching portions and trying really hard to drink a boat-load of water.  I do notice on the days I don't dring a lot of water I seem to gain... the same with sodium (that creeps in too)...
(deactivated member)
on 10/1/12 5:19 am, edited 10/1/12 5:20 am - Guelph, Canada
I went through guelph and they really are NOT as nazi as they seem... I gained 5 lbs and no one said anything... If the subject is brought up I would question the medication change that can sometimes cause issues... It could be period weigh****er weight... There are so many what ifs that can factor in here
wants2Bfitagain
on 10/1/12 5:36 am

I hear so many stories about guelph and know of a few people who have had there file on hold for 6months due to a 2 pound weigh gain. With your appointment being so close I don't think you have the time to lose the weight
Wear light clothes drink lots of water to flush out your system and hope your apt isn't after lunch time. Cut your carbs to very little right now eat fruits and veg.

Also mention about your mediciation and hope for the best, Good luck

Referral-April 20th  Orientation- June 12th Windsor
NP- July 23, Nut Class Aug 7th SW Aug 9th DR Aug 14th
2nd NUT & SW Sept 27th
Surgery Nov 6th Dr. Hagen HRRH

KristieA
on 10/1/12 5:43 am - Orillia, Canada
I found the best thing was to make small changes. I tried not to set myself up for another 'failed attempt'. Eg. One week rather than 2 Tim Horton's tea biscuits, I would order one for breakfast. I hardly drank water and rather than say I have to get 8 glasses a day to start, I committed to getting one bottle and then added another a week later.

Everyone is different. For some people drastic change works, for me I knew it wouldn't. I made small changes. In hindsight I could have probably done more, but I celebrated the small steps I was able to make.

I didn't lose much pre Optifast, but I did try to make some changes. As long as you are making an effort I say you are on the right track.

Best of luck on your journey,

Krisite

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

sam1am
on 10/1/12 8:42 am
I don't know if weight loss or (no gaining) will affect your surgery date, but damn I hate it when they want you to lose weight!  All the stress we have leading up to our appointments, plus your added insulin requirements sure don't make it easy!

Do what you can, and hang it there, it will be so worth it! 

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

ShallowGirl
on 10/1/12 5:12 pm, edited 10/1/12 5:21 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
They asked us at HRRH to give up soda and sugar. I did both. It took about 5 weeks to give up sugar but I lost 10 lbs from that alone. (Less than 10 g sugar per serving on label).

I've gone back to diet soda though !

I don't know what to suggest, except that a lot of people here use fitnes pal or other food tracker software.  You could start that now.  Then you could get a better handle on where it's coming from.  If nowhere - maybe get your thyroid checked.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Nicole B.
on 10/2/12 2:22 am, edited 10/2/12 2:23 am - Canada
Thanks everybody!!

This will be my second appointment and I have been keeping a pretty accurate journal since orientation and trying to consume the recommended water intake. I am great on days I work.. 12 hours of structured packed lunches and constant opportunities for water, but the days off are what kill me!! Busy, busy, busy days and busy family life.

I have cut the pop out almost completely, just out of habit grabbing one while out, but eventually walking away from it after a few sips and I have tried to cut the refined sugars out... it's getting there... I just feel like I'm trying to prove myself to them and that I'm not doing a well enough job :( I guess I'll see how the day goes and take it from there... I have a great support system and you all here to vent to should it not go as planned... here's to hoping ;)

Referral: April 2011 to GGH Info: 12/6/14 Nurse: 12/8/17SW: 12/8/17  Diet/Nut: 12/8/17 2nd Nurse: 12/10/4  2nd SW: 12/10/4  2nd Diet/Nut: 12/10/4  Internist: 12/10/12  3rd SW: 12/10/26  3rd Diet/Nut: 12/10/26  Nutrition Class: 12/11/27  Surgeon: 13/2/7 Opti Fast: 13/2/18 Pre-Op: 13/2/28  Surgery Date: 13/3/5 Dr Pereira-Hong

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
Recent Topics