Tastes Change?

WLSoujourn
on 11/8/12 11:46 pm - Canada

Just reading through some of the posts on OH and one question that I have is ... After WLS, did your tastes change? (not tastes in clothes, furniture or things like that), but the tastes of foods.  I have seen it mentioned a few times and have wondered about it.  Also, a person I have recently begun speaking with about her WLS, told me that prior to her surgery she couldn't stand tea, but now loves it.

So, my question is...Did your tastes change...and in what ways?

Curious Kim!

REFERRAL:   Sept 24/12    ORIENTATION LETTER: Nov 7/12  ORIENTATION: Dec 19/12 @ TWH   REQUEST TRANSFER  FROM TWH TO  HAMILTON:  Dec 21/12   CONFIRMATION OF TRANSFER TO HAM:  Jan 3/13  SW:  June 5/13     NUT:  June 5/13          NUT CLASS:  Aug 2013         MEET SURGEON:   Aug 2013         SURGERY DATE: Sept 20, 2013

Patm
on 11/8/12 11:49 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

yes definitely. Also some things just do not sit well. I still have problems with beef but others do not. I find I love cottage cheese more because it goes down well. Everyone has things they do not like or can't tolerate. It's like being pregnant. You bodies reaction to certain foods changes.

Catw
on 11/8/12 11:55 pm - Arnprior, Canada

My taste buds did change too.  I used to love iced tea, now I can do without.  I also find things sweeter now than I did before.  Even juice, apple juice tastes more like apple candy now.  I used to really like ribs, but now they're just alright.  I don't like bread as much as I once did.  Still like it, but don't want as much. I also notice the fat in things now, that I didn't before.

Sometimes it's because you are eating slower, so you notice more, sometimes it's just your taste buds have changed.

Cat

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/12 12:02 am - Straford, Canada

yes, I don't crave, nor do I like sweet things.  I can't eat mango, used to live them.  Halloween was easy for me, I looked at those little bars we handed out and felt guilty we weren't handing out something better for them but didn't crave them.  I used to love lobster, can't keep it down now, didn't like sour stuff before but do now.  For me it has been like eating with someone else's taste buds!  

zephie
on 11/9/12 12:07 am - Moose Factory, Canada

I hope my tastes change when I get surgery...I absolutely hate coffee...not a sweet eater at all...all shakes are sweet...optifast is sweet..yuuukkie!!...if my tastes are gonna change hope its towards things that I NEED to eat to be successful!!..but have determined I'll just have to suck it up and do what needs to be done!!

ShallowGirl
on 11/9/12 12:10 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

My taste buds are the same, but my stomach won't tolerate things, so that buzz-kills a bit.

I can't eat eggs or chicken, and those used to be my favorite foods.  Vomitting turns you off old foods but it bends your brain a bit.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Nathalie_Can
on 11/9/12 12:18 am

There's a few things for me.....I used to be a HUGE lover of Hellman's mayo, same as that commercial, I used to put that **** on everything...lmao...fries, cheese, it was #1, couldn't live without, now I can't stand the taste, I have to have Miracle Whip.  I thought that was very strange.  The other is chicken, I use to eat it often and now, can't, it sits well in my pouch but yuk now as far as taste goes. 

IMO, the tastes that change is only because we are addicted to certain things pre-op...like sugar, pop, chips etc. but then we are sooo long without it that even if we try and taste it, it so gross cuz now we are not use to that anymore.

Have a great weekend Kim!

Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

NorthernStar
on 11/9/12 1:14 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

The big taste change for me is how sweet everything is now. Things that's aren't really sweet taste much sweeter to me, and if I eat anything that actually is sweet, like fruit, it can be sickeningly sweet to me. I was never too big on sweets, so it's not big deal.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

smww73
on 11/12/12 11:17 am

My tastes have changed dramatically!  I am now drawn to spicy foods for the first time in my life!

Mary A.
on 11/13/12 4:58 am

I don't know if my tastes as much as the way I have chosen to go, I eat very little rice and pasta..I also don't consume fried foods other than calamari maybe twice  ayear..and bread I also eat very little of.. I am sure there are other things.....but my TOP priority is that I keep myself accountable for what I do eat.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics