Protein drink

WLSoujourn
on 12/12/12 3:20 am - Canada

Hi everyone:  I have been searching for the answer and can't find it...I have some lovely protein beverage, Nectar Fuzzy Navel...my question is, if I mix it with HO****er, will it impact the protein?  The instructions indicate to mix it with cold water, but I wanted to make a warm drink...just don't want to waste it if the hot somehow negates the protein...does that make sense?? 

Thanks

Kim

REFERRAL:   Sept 24/12    ORIENTATION LETTER: Nov 7/12  ORIENTATION: Dec 19/12 @ TWH   REQUEST TRANSFER  FROM TWH TO  HAMILTON:  Dec 21/12   CONFIRMATION OF TRANSFER TO HAM:  Jan 3/13  SW:  June 5/13     NUT:  June 5/13          NUT CLASS:  Aug 2013         MEET SURGEON:   Aug 2013         SURGERY DATE: Sept 20, 2013

Marny B.
on 12/12/12 3:49 am - Canada

I always thought it did, but many people have told me otherwise.  For example, plenty of people bake with protein powder.  The biggest problem you will face is how to get it to mix.  If you just add it to ho****er, it will be a disgusting clumpy mess.  I have learned this through first hand experience.  I have never tried it again, but others may have advice on how to do this.  If it were me, I'd mix it with cold water first, and then slowly warm it in the microwave- not too hot. 

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

zombiesugar
on 12/12/12 4:26 am

I find some protein powders are better than others. (Promasil is the best so far).

What I usually do is have the ho****er cup ready - and mix the protein in a little bit of cold fluid.

Then add a tiny bit of hot into the cold at a time and keep mixing well until all the hot is in there.

Sometimes that works but sometimes you just end up with a big clumpy mess too....

Jason W.
on 12/12/12 5:34 am, edited 12/12/12 5:34 am - Canada

Does a steak or piece of chicken lose protein cooked or heated? Nope. So I can't see the difference with anything else.

Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

smiley_k
on 12/12/12 7:28 am

The composition of the protein doesn't change based on being heated. Whey is the same protein in milk, and you can drink warm milk right? So the nutritional information is the same. At least this is how it was explained to me and makes sense to me.

I frequently use my nectar proteins warm, such as making protein hot chocolate. The problem with adding ho****er directly to protein like others have said is the clumping. You can temper the protein by mixing it smooth with a small amount of cold water and then topping it up with warm/ho****er, stirring constantly. Or my preferred method is to mix with the amount of liquid I want and bring it up to the temperature I want by heating it in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between and checking for my desired temperature.

Hope this helps!

Katie  ♥     

Most Active
Recent Topics