Weird Feelings

WLSoujourn
on 12/20/12 2:17 am - Canada

I just attended my Orientation at TWH last night and I have to say, as many have said, there were no surprises in the information...but, I am surprised at my response.  I was SOOOO excited to begin the process and I am even more committed after the presentation, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why I am feeling down!  I have tried to pin point exactly what it is and I haven't got any idea.  I kind of feel like a kid after Christmas when it is over and there is a let down?!  The other feeling, which makes no sense at all is a feeling of loneliness...odd!

Curious to know how others felt and what might have helped.  I refuse to turn to food as I have done in the past, it is time to try and develop some healthier coping mechanisms.

Blessings to you all,

Kim

REFERRAL:   Sept 24/12    ORIENTATION LETTER: Nov 7/12  ORIENTATION: Dec 19/12 @ TWH   REQUEST TRANSFER  FROM TWH TO  HAMILTON:  Dec 21/12   CONFIRMATION OF TRANSFER TO HAM:  Jan 3/13  SW:  June 5/13     NUT:  June 5/13          NUT CLASS:  Aug 2013         MEET SURGEON:   Aug 2013         SURGERY DATE: Sept 20, 2013

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/12 2:24 am - Straford, Canada

There has been times over the last few years headed towards and since RNY surgery that I have felt lonely.  It is a journey we do ourselves, even others having the same surgery don't have exactly the same experiences with weight loss, food intolerances, family interactions, etc.  It is a journey we take by ourselves.  Having said that there are some spots of commiseration like on this board and support groups.  Interesting topic!  Thanks!  broken heart

jewel-twin
on 12/20/12 3:13 am - Canada

For me it has been an emotional roller coaster...sometimes I feel paralized with fear, and excited beyond words.  I think it is normal to feel emotional turmoil...we know that we need to make a huge amount of changes and that no matter how much you TRY to prepare now....you really wont know until after... there are unknown factors....

If you are lonely seek out someone to talk to ...like here on the board... call on someone to have coffee with you and to talk to :) 

Hugs...Juls

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

Mom_of_Mack
on 12/20/12 3:16 am - Arnprior, Canada

I think this process is an emotional rollercoaster.  I hope the sad feelings go away soon.

Referral: August 1/12  Orientation: Sept. 7/12  Nurse Practitioner: December 28/12  Nut/Beh: January 22/13  Abdo Ultrasound: Jan 2013  Nut/Beh#2: March 12/13  Pre-Op Class: March 20/13  Dr. Mamazza:  March 26/13   Surgery: June 13/13 with Dr. Raiche

Nathalie_Can
on 12/20/12 3:46 am

I'm wondering if its not that it'****ting you that the old ways will be over?!?  I don't know. 

Here's "my" experience with sadness, little let down feeling - I have to be honest to say that I'm a little slow in comprehending what I'm doing when I decide to do something.  I know what I want and go get it so I act now then I deal with it, that's how I am made....lol...after realizing that I've hit a loss of 250 - was very happy - BUT - when I started to maintain, that's where I dealt with "oh boy, all the foods that I had flushed from my life, I can't have them anymore"  Weird uh?!? People can judge by saying "wow, took you long, aren't you supposed to deal with that in the first few months?!?"  We all deal with the steps at different times and with different emotions.  Maybe this is your time?  If this is your case of the "let down", hoping it only lasts a few hours until you realize that there's a MUCH bigger picture at the end of the yellow brick road...lol...I always knew my "new" life was going to be so amazing, so I finally let the junk food emotions come to surface and said bebye la la!

Happy Holidays :)

Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

Patm
on 12/20/12 3:46 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I can only speak for how I felt. I had fought my weight for many years. I wanted the surgery but I also felt as if I had given in. That i wasn't strong enough to fight this on my own. It was a certain amount of feeling like a failure.

Eleven months later and I am not a failure but a success with a whole new great life.

Karen M.
on 12/20/12 4:20 am - Mississauga, Canada

I can relate to what you're saying.  I think it IS like a letdown after a "big event".  You went, you enjoyed it, you felt good about it and now it's..... over. And in the back of your mind, you're maybe thinking that you still have a long way to go yet and that can make you feel down too.

I didn't feel lonely per se.  I felt alone but empowered in my aloneness, if that makes any sense.  I knew I was on the path by myself and it made me feel strong and determined.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/12 8:48 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

I agree with Karen, when you are looking forward to something once it is over there can be a feeling of let down. I think you may experience this more than once through the journey.

Best Wishes to you.

ShallowGirl
on 12/20/12 3:01 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

We can't live our lives in expectation of a magic moment.  In the end, it's a process.

When I went to the info session it was crowded, I felt the speaker was condescending, and there were families there, and kids eating chips & pop.  I could really see how the process could fail.  I was sad that I had come to this in my struggles.  

BUT,  now, I enjoy the feeling of freedom from obsessive, unsatiable hunger.  And it being easier to move.  And being a normal weight.  

The loneliness is there, but that's why I like this site.

((hugs))

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

mermaidz
on 12/21/12 1:21 am - Brampton, Canada

By what you have typed, I'm getting a sense of the following:  

I'm gonna take a guess here and say that that feeling of "loss" is in acknowledging you have to part ways with a very big part of your current life.. So it's like a mourning of sorts.. of saying goodbye to a part of you.

I would guess that's what that is.. and it's ok to mourn that. Maybe recognize that part out loud.. and say goodbye.

It also means a lot of change which can be overwhelming and a bit frightening.

For me personally? I prepared for it but didn't count the days. I didn't get emotional etc. About a week before the surgery,, I went to the pharmacy, got my vitamins and made sure I had all the necessities. Surgery was a breeze. For about a month afterwards life was great, was working out three times a week and I felt so awesome. Then my fibro acted up and despite increasing the meds, and some other health issues. And a report from a rhuemotologist indicating I had more health issues. Chronic Issues that would have influenced my choice of surgery.

So for me this journey is in pause and I can't say I love my RnY. I like it. But I don't love it.

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Most Active
Recent Topics