Transfer from TWH to St Joes in Hamilton

WLSoujourn
on 12/21/12 10:06 pm - Canada

Hey everyone...

As some of you know, I went to my orientation at TWH this week and was given my next set of appointments for May...I was struggling with some funny emotional stuff and that seems to have subsided. (actually got in touch with some stuff that was bubbling up, some was weight loss related...other stuff, not so much!!)

Anyway...as much as I enjoyed the session at TWH, the staff that were there were amazing....I decided and asked for my file to be transfered to Hamilton.  My hubby and I are moving to Ancaster in April, and will be living about 12 minutes from St Josephs in Hamilton as opposed to an hour and a half to Toronto.  I understand part of the success of this surgery is to be on top of all the follow up appointments, and it makes sense to me to create an environment that makes that more likely to happen.  I figure even if there is a bit of a delay, this is important for me for success.

I was told by the administrator from TWH that it shouldn't impact my timing too much, however, she couldn't speak for Hamilton...that I am already in the registry and now just have to get my appointments from St Joes.  She didn't believe I would have to do the orientation again, but that would be up to Hamilton.  I would be interested to hear from those who may have transfered centres and how that impacted their process.

So, now it is time for me to do what the NP said at orientation...start making small changes...give up soda water (boo hoo), start eating slowly, chew chew chew, break the habit of drinking with my meals, make sipping water a habit and not chugging it!  AND...(my thoughts)...keep reading and getting hints from you wise folks on the forum.

Thanks everyone

Kim

REFERRAL:   Sept 24/12    ORIENTATION LETTER: Nov 7/12  ORIENTATION: Dec 19/12 @ TWH   REQUEST TRANSFER  FROM TWH TO  HAMILTON:  Dec 21/12   CONFIRMATION OF TRANSFER TO HAM:  Jan 3/13  SW:  June 5/13     NUT:  June 5/13          NUT CLASS:  Aug 2013         MEET SURGEON:   Aug 2013         SURGERY DATE: Sept 20, 2013

Kimmer75
on 12/22/12 2:07 am - London, Canada

Be cautious of the transfer time.  I went through this earlier this year, and was told it wouldn't impact the time, however it did.  I was essentially told that my file was treated as a new referral.  So I had to wait another 5 months (over 6 months now) for a new orientation class.  They said that if I'd transferred after I'd had my first appointments then I would be able to keep my place. 

That said there is another woman that transferred to Hamilton AFTER having her appointments and is still waiting. 

I would try to get confirmation from both Centres if you can before you make the transfer.

Good Luck

Kim

Referal: November 2011 to Windsor Assessment Center, Orientation: February 9th, 2012, Request Transfer to Hamilton: March 23, 2012, Transfer madness for April, May, June, Abdominal Ultrasound: August 1, 2012, Dietician & SW: October 3, 2012,
Scope: November 8, 2012, Internist: November 14, 2012, Surgeon: November 27th, 2012

Surgery: April 10, 2013. VSG and gallbladder removed.  

MrsBunny
on 12/22/12 6:13 am

I had my Orientation Nov 19th and am still waiting  for an appointment. Wait times in Hamilton have increase to over a year. Hope it works out for you

Referral May 15,2012  Info Session November 19,2012
WLSoujourn
on 12/22/12 10:37 pm - Canada

Thanks for the replies...I know that this decision may impact how long I have to wait and I appreciate you letting me know...I guess for me, I am looking at the longer range picture (ie...follow up appointments for 5 years) rather than just the time till surgery.   Also, moving in the middle of all this has thrown a new element in the equation for me.  Alot of things in my life have been shifted time wise so we can have  a successful move and settling in, this is another.    I have lots of "work" to do on myself as well, so I am going to try to look at the extra time as a gift to get ready...

All that being said, I will stay on top of the transfer to make sure it doesn't get lost in the shuffle...

Blessings,

Kim

PS...I will need to come back to this post when I start b**ching about how long this process is taking LOL 

REFERRAL:   Sept 24/12    ORIENTATION LETTER: Nov 7/12  ORIENTATION: Dec 19/12 @ TWH   REQUEST TRANSFER  FROM TWH TO  HAMILTON:  Dec 21/12   CONFIRMATION OF TRANSFER TO HAM:  Jan 3/13  SW:  June 5/13     NUT:  June 5/13          NUT CLASS:  Aug 2013         MEET SURGEON:   Aug 2013         SURGERY DATE: Sept 20, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics