Curious how long after surgery do you need to wait before exercising and what did you do ???

seebs
on 1/7/13 7:26 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 01/10/13

I am preparing my self by knowing that if I do not exercise and tone my body I will loose weight so rapidly I will be a mushy mess soooooooo with that said what did you all do when you were post op... when did you start using weights do you have to get the surgeon to approve ?

seebs        

2mar
on 1/7/13 7:32 am
RNY on 09/20/12
seebs
on 1/7/13 7:40 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 01/10/13

Thank you for your reply ... appreciate the info :)

seebs        

P_Floyd
on 1/7/13 7:42 am - Canada

You need to recuperate and let your body heal. That being said, you can start taking short walks as soon as you feel up to it. Don't over do anything, just get used to moving again. Take to the Nurse Practitioner and you should get a good idea of where you are. Avoid all things stomach for a while. Don't worry there are plenty of other places on your body that you can work that will help get the rest of your in order. I started on the bike and now use it for twenty minutes to warm up before I workout. You need to find what appeals to you because you really need to make exercise part of your life. I happen to like weight training and yoga for the stretching. There is plenty you can do without setting foot in a gym. But like I said start with walking. When it gets easier increase the distance and difficulty of terrain. Higher grades, steeper slopes and unleveled pathways can make a simple walk turn into a hike. Just don't over do it in the first few months.

You also have to remember that once you start working out to build muscle and tone your body, you're going to need even more protein. Don't forget to increase your water intake too as perspiration can lead to dehydration quickly. Sip sip sip. Take a water bottle with you and don't stop drinking. 

I've made it a part of my life now. I swim, weight train, bike, yoga, walk all over the place and having the muscle and energy to move like this is something of a gift at this stage. So feel your way along and let your body be your guide. If it hurts in the stomach, stop. If it hurts everywhere else, you know you've done a good job that day. You will get to enjoy it for a couple of days while your muscles recover and rebuild. 

Whatever you do, make sure you enjoy it so that you can make it a part of your life and routine.

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

seebs
on 1/7/13 7:46 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 01/10/13

Thanks so much for your reply ... I understand its not ok you have rested a week and half now get to it lol ... I will make sure I do it according to the recommendations as set by my nurses thank you so much for the reply.

seebs        

highlandbear
on 1/7/13 7:58 am - Canada

I started the next day after I came home. I would go out for short walks 3times during the day. I did that for aweek and than I started to add on. Once my walks got longer than I only went twice a day morning and afternoon.  As far as other exercises I had to wait unit I got the OK from the clinic

GirlSassy
on 1/7/13 9:28 am - Kingston, Canada

I was walking right away. I was also very active before surgery. I was given the OK to do weights and stuff 2 weeks out. I did try an abdominal exercise at week 3, and it was torture. I am 7 weeks out and do a core class a couple times a week. Go easy, and most importantly, listen to your body. Oh and increase your protein and drink loads of water!

Orientation - April 25, 2012, Nurse - May 16, 2012, Social Worker - May 25, Dietician - May 25, 2012, Abdominal Ultrasound - June 29, 2012, Cardiologist - August 1, 2012 Pre-Surgical Education Class September 19, 2012, Meet with Surgeon September 27, 2012, PATTS November 9, 2012, Surgery Date November 16, 2012 (Dr. Mamazza)

seebs
on 1/7/13 9:34 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 01/10/13

I appreciate the reply thank you so much ... will I know ahead of time in order to know how much protein to increase this by or will I just need to know I have to add some when I work out ?

What program do you use if any ? I was on my fitness pal but not sure if I should stick to that one for tracking that is.

seebs        

mermaidz
on 1/7/13 10:11 am - Brampton, Canada

I started doing arms and legs at two weeks out

At one month, with my surgeon's permission, I started doing core. I had no issues from surgery at all (other than foamies which was rare)

Everyone is right that you need protein but you also.... need carbs. Yup.. carbs for energy before and after. If you don't you might not feel so great. It's a balancing trick but you a smart cookie!

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

seebs
on 1/7/13 10:14 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 01/10/13
Ok good to hear ... I worry about the bat wings lol ... Thanks for the reply ...

seebs        

Most Active
Recent Topics