im on the bench ... I have questions RNY's Thanks a bunch ...

seebs
on 1/14/13 11:14 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 01/10/13

RNY done January 10th

Did the rest of you have trouble consuming what was on your hospital tray ?

Are you hungry or no ?

Did you just drink what the hospital did for clear fluids or did you toss it up ?

How do you know your doing it all right ?

I guess I thought it would be magic and I would be fine with broth and diet jello with no want or need for anything else ??

what did you do and feel at this point ?

Thanks for helping

seebs        

Laura H.
on 1/14/13 11:23 am - Canada

In the hospital the tray they sent me was a waste.  I was lucky if I finished the broth and it took me forever.  I was taking 30 mls every 15 minutes.  Needless to say the broth was cold by the time I finished.  Another time, all I drank was the milk they sent as that is what I felt like.  I just tried to stay hydrated.  Once home, I made a protein drink with 1 cup of skim milk and 2 scoops of protein.  That way it had about 50 grams of protein.  I drank 1/3 cup at breakfast, lunch, and then supper.  Between my 'meals' I drank 2 bottles of water.  One bottle was plain and the other I mixed a fruit protein powder in it to up my protein.  With drinking 30 mls every 15 minutes and drinking every time I woke up in the night I was able to get 2 bottles down in 24 hours in the beginning.  After 2 weeks, I was able to get down 3 bottles of water.  After 3 weeks, I was able to get down 4 bottles.  Just keep plugging away a bit at a time and it all adds up.  This is what HRRH suggested to me.  I do not know what centre you are with but follow their guide lines.  I didn't do a lot of walking in the beginning.  I was tired as I did not get sleep in the hospital.  I walked a bit, slept a bit, and kept drinking.  Good luck and I am sorry you had a such a crappy beginning. 

Laura H.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/14/13 11:24 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

2 days ahead with a sleeve...

Day 1... Water and I were not friends but tea stayed down... I found out if I did a spoonful of tea, and then 2 half spoons of water in 15 min it stayed.

They give you "3" meals a day... pull any drinks, broths, etc. you do not finish in the 30-60 min the try is there OFF the tray... It took me 30-60 min to get through a 125ml bowl of cream of wheat (they had to move me to full fluids as they could only give me TEA for clear fluids - I just had to add 2 more ounces of water.).

Our book from HRRH lists
1/4 cup low fat cream soup made with milk and with a scoop of protein powder
1/4 cup unsweetened juice
1/3 of a protein shake

and indicates 60-90 min to consume that...

Odds are your try has more than 3 items with protein powder right? I think the ones I saw were soup, cream of wheat/cottage cheese, diet lemonade, coffee/tea, protein powder, jello...

WAY more then expected in a meal.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

P_Floyd
on 1/14/13 11:45 am - Canada

I was at TEG for a week. Who ever it is that does the cooking there doesn't like their job much and seriously hates cooking and perhaps food in general. Sure I was blitzed on Morphine for quite a long time, still there was nothing to be happy about when it came to the food. I didn't say anything for the first few days, then casually in passing made a remark or two in a jovial manner. Finally when I told them that **** on a shingle they molested in the kitchen and brought up to my room for lunch, they told me I was in the pink again ready to leave. 

Best to hold judgment until you get around so real food and then see what you can and can't tolerate. 

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/14/13 11:48 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

HOLY EFFITY EFF... You are going to KILL me... Sneezing twice today got me mostly there but the laughter... **** on a shingle... BWAHAAHAHAHAHAA

That's ok... At St. Joe's Toronto no one could wise up and go to the organic section of a grocery store... or... ya know... hook some non-corn veggies up and make some broth. ID10T errors!

seebs
on 1/14/13 11:48 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 01/10/13
Lol I am trying not to
Laugh it hurts a little but that post was awesome .. Thanks your hilarious

seebs        

BluIzGal
on 1/14/13 1:59 pm, edited 1/14/13 2:04 pm - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

Other tha****er/ice chips I didn't have anything off my tray. The soup was nasty, the peach drink too sweet, don't drink milk and jello  has made me gag since childhood. I either walked or slept the whole time so to be honest, food was the last thing on my mind. Funny enough, not one person said anything nor asked me what I ate/drank. 

Patm
on 1/14/13 10:08 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Get as much protein in as possible and water. If you feel like walking walk a little sleep a lot and just get better. Give your body a chance to heal.

only_angel
on 1/14/13 10:43 pm - Sault Ste Marie, Canada
RNY on 01/11/13

I had my RNY Jan 11th and the first day i managed quite well. I never got sick and I ate as much as i could. day two was full fluids and i have to say that HRRH's cream of wheat sucks.... it smelled and tasted like chicken broth I couldn't eat much of it. Later that night i found out what my body will do to me if i eat too much too fast... and oh did it hurt lol. I have been out of the hospital for 2 days now and haven't been eating too much because nothing seems appealing.  

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/14/13 10:49 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I am having a nothing is appealing day today... I am adding cinnamon, etc. to make things seem like something I want.

Most Active
Recent Topics