Nutritionist

lkelly
on 1/15/13 1:19 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Hello All,

I am currently doing all my pre-op sessions at TWH.  Is it true that the nutrisionist will put you on a diet before opti fast to ensure you know how deal with eating food properly?  also is it true that if you don't follow their direction and lose a certain amount of weight they throw you out of the program?

a patient told me this while I  was waiting to see the nurse practionier the other day and just wondering to what extent it is true?

Thank you

Have my Psychologit appt January 28th

nutriton class/nurse folllow up January 29

Nutritionist April 12

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/15/13 2:03 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Will it stop you from proceeding if you fail to comply with what they want you to do? Possibly. Why would they think you are ready to have surgery if they asked you to start eating more nutritiously and you said "stuff that... I'm going to have 3 triple baconators for lunch and there is nothing you can do about it!".

Will they throw you out of the program if you fail to lose X number of pounds? No... Not that I have heard in regards to TWH.

"Putting you on a diet"... Hmmmm... Sort of but it is more lifestyle changes they want you to start making before hand first.

Examples:

Some want you to cut out or reduce caffeine, carbonation, using/consuming sugary foods. They want you to do this because it is hard on your system to stop suddenly with surgery.

Almost all want you to read labels, understand good nutritional choices and learn what and how you can eat in a healthier way... Making choices that will actively show them you are ready and prepared for the changes this surgery will bring.

They will make sure you have upped your water intake to 8 glasses a day or more. It is necessary for you to remain hydrated post-op... Learning pre-op is key.

After that is all said and done and they know you will be capable of managing your foods post op... in a somewhat sensible fashion...

Everyone has to do a "pre-op" diet and 90% follow Opti-fast... typically 1 week for each 100 lb bracket so those in the 200's are 2 weeks and 300's are 3 weeks, etc. There are other "pre-op" diets for those who can't do Opti and while they know the AVERAGE loss on 3 weeks of Opti is 15lbs or so... There is no set amount you HAVE to lose.

So... It is entirely possible that the person who told you this was forced to give up a number of things... Like fast foods (if they were habitually eating them), or junk food like pop and chips (if they were habitually consuming them), etc. I am sure it felt like being put on a diet if this was the case... Everyone is different and what may apply to them may not apply to you.

For people like me who ate like a dork sometimes, and mostly ate healthy... I would have been told to track my food, and monitor my portion control more closely... If I hadn't read up and started doing it already.

I hope this kind of makes sense of why I say it is less of a diet and more of a lifestyle change. Hopefully some of the lovely TWH people can help here.

Shell

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/13 6:47 pm - Straford, Canada

Everyone's journey down this path is different.  Some members of the bariatric team may set goals for you in certain areas and expect to see them attained.  Some may be setting goals another team member uncovered as weaknesses that should be tested. I had to give up my extreme addiction (not sure that is the correct term but there you go) to diet pop and late night snacking on chips w dip.  I did it willingly. Was it easy... NO!  I kept my food journals religiously as requested.  Why wouldn't you?  If you're serious about making this change your life imo you should willingly do whatever they are asking.

btw, the gossip and misinformation I have heard in the waiting rooms at TWH is disheartening and mostly false!  I have no idea why folks spread some of the crud I have heard. When you hear someone start a sentence with "I heard..." or "My friend knows someone's second cousin twice removed who..." ignore it!

Relax, enjoy the ride and if you're wondering something while talking to a member of the bariatric team, like "why", ask.  They will tell you.  

Nanato2
on 1/15/13 8:10 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Everything depends on the person but at TWH they ask you to make lifestyle changes to get you ready for after the surgery. Maybe there was a reason they want that person to be on a diet, maybe they wanted to make sure they could follow the changes that will happen.

I know a few people that go through TWH and I do not know of anyone who was thrown out of the program for not losing weight I actually gained weight and I know of others that have done the same nor was I put on a diet I was asked to make lifestyle changes.

There is a support group at TWH twice a month on Wednesday at 7pm come out and you can talk to people that are going through the process at TWH. Next meeting is Wed. Jan. 23rd. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

DeborahV54
on 1/15/13 10:47 pm - Mississauga, ON, Canada

There is a support group at TWH twice a month on Wednesday at 7pm come out and you can talk to people that are going through the process at TWH. Next meeting is Wed. Jan. 23rd.

Thinking of going to this.....how long does this meeting last?? 

Nanato2
on 1/15/13 11:06 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

from 7 - 8:30pm

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

mermaidz
on 1/15/13 9:44 pm - Brampton, Canada

Such educated supportive answers.

And all true great advice

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

lkelly
on 1/15/13 11:28 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Thank you so much everyone. I didn't realize how much responses I would get to this question.  You have all been so helpful. 

I find this website so supportive.  I am almost 30 and have an 8 month old baby.  i want to be able to get down on the floor and play with her and live to see her grow up.  I'm giving myself a 30th birthday gift and having the roux en y so i can live and be healthy.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/16/13 12:43 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

That is a fabulous reason to want to have a RNY...

People do try to reply and be helpful to most questions here. It is a very supportive community. Welcome to it.

S

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Most Active
Recent Topics