Uh-oh. Could this endanger Ontario's funding of WLS?

Gabygee
on 2/25/13 9:56 pm - Canada

A study apparently shows that health-care costs for the obese are NOT reduced by systematic programmes of WLS.

Windsor Star

Weight-loss surgery fails to cut obesity costs

http://www.windsorstar.com/Weight+loss+surgery+fails+obesity +costs/8015792/story.html

Patm
on 2/25/13 10:04 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

It is definitely not good news. I noticed they were including banding which has not had as much success as other procedures. Hopefully the record they are now keeping in Canada will show a different result.

johjen
on 2/25/13 10:20 pm
In Canada we have to go through the "process" we are educated and evaluated. A lot has been learned about how to ensure long term success... Statistics can prove both sides of the same point depending on where you focus the attention.
The research is based on past results, but the procedures and process has changed. I think this has no weight (no pun intended) really! This procedure helps so many people! As this procedure advances the associated costs will fall.
Nanato2
on 2/25/13 10:21 pm, edited 2/25/13 10:22 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Article relates to other countries not Canada that is why Canada is now is complying their own data.

This is just another way for the insurance companies in the USA to not have to pay for WLS. We are lucky to live in Canada where we are fully funded in the USA they have to go through their insurance carrier and if they do not agree it does not get paid. 

I also hope the person in the picture consented for their picture to be all over the paper.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

straberryz
on 2/25/13 11:43 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I dunno, but during my hospital stay two nurses were talking and I overheard them saying (giving me the impression that they were told this) that the ontario bariatric program will only last another 6 years.

no idea if this is just rumor, or if there is any data behind it. just what i did hear.

REF: October 3 '11 INFO SES: Dec 2 '11 NP :  June 13 '12 US: July 31'12 NUT/SW: August 1 '12 PSYCH: Sept 6 '12 MRI: Oct 3 '12 SURG CLASS: Nov 28 '12 MEET THE SURG JAN 28 '13 SURGERY FEB 20 '13

Monica M.
on 2/26/13 12:21 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

i'm sure its just rumours. Front line staff are often the last to hear of things like that, and don't usually find out a program is ending until its over. THey likely overheard a surgeon say something about it and then repeat it. Nurses (i'm one) are the WORST for gossip. lol

Monica M.
on 2/26/13 12:23 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

Anti smoking initiatives don't help health care costs, either. Smokers tend to die sooner, so don't tax the health care system as much.

Yes, you're not going to die of diabetes, but you might die from running too many marathons. lol. Sorry, gallows humour.

Mary A.
on 2/26/13 1:20 am

I think the USA is a entirely different "ball of wax" being that you have to have health coverage and possibly not all companies are willing to foot the bill, there is a way out of anything if someone TRIES hard enough

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

slrm2m2
on 2/26/13 5:05 am - Canada

its a bit of a muddled article...including banding is defniitely a confounding variable in the study since its not an OHIP funded procedure at all.  It will be interesting to see the 5 year data that comes out of the Ontario bariatric programs when they reach that point and release it.  I'd say its just too early to evaluate Ontario's program at this point.

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

PatXYZ
on 2/26/13 5:26 am

Bariatric surgery is not cost effective. I don't know why anyone would expect it to be. Fat people cost the healthcare system way less than healthy weight people over the course of their lifetimes because they die sooner and more suddenly - just like smokers. It would be really, really silly for anyone to think that bariatric surgery will save the healthcare system any money! That's not what it is about, it's about better quality of life and longer lives for the people that have bariatric surgery. The healthcare system should not be in the business of saving money, but making healthier citizens.

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Most Active
Recent Topics