Freshly Squeezed - Protein

lkelly
on 5/16/13 2:15 am - Mississauga, Canada

I am almost 4 weeks out of surgery,  not losing much.  Only down 10lbs. 

I am finding it hard to get all my protein in as everything I swallow comes right back up.

Question: Freshly Squeezed has a protein rich energy drink that has 28g of protein, low fat frozen yogurt and fresh berries.  Is this allowed? (copy and pasted link below)

Its the only thing I can keep down that doesn't come right back up again. 

http://www.freshlysqueezed.ca/index.php?r=web/products&indice=0&country=canada

I am getting in a ton of water but eating soft foods isn't going well. As i said, everything comes right back up.

Orientation Date: October 31, 2012  Nurse Practioner:  January 21, 2013 Social Worker: January 21, 2013 Nutrition Class: January 22, 2013 Psycho-Social: January 22, 2013  Nutrionist: February 13, 2013  Meet the Surgeon: March 15th, 2013  Surgery Date: April 22nd 2013

jewel-twin
on 5/16/13 2:21 am - Canada

you want to be careful with sugar content.  that would be a thick liquid.... I wonder why that will go down but soft foods wont... ??  At first I thought stricture...bu****er and thick juice isn't coming back up? 

are you eating to fast?  not chewing well enough?  I would be at the surgeons office if everything came back up... and I think you should be too...something isn't right and you can't live off freshly squeezed.

Just my $.10.

Juls

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

lkelly
on 5/16/13 2:27 am - Mississauga, Canada
Hey just texted your phone

Orientation Date: October 31, 2012  Nurse Practioner:  January 21, 2013 Social Worker: January 21, 2013 Nutrition Class: January 22, 2013 Psycho-Social: January 22, 2013  Nutrionist: February 13, 2013  Meet the Surgeon: March 15th, 2013  Surgery Date: April 22nd 2013

Needanewbeginning
on 5/16/13 2:46 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Those look yummy! I asked about these type of drinks, my HRRH dietician said no way Jose, way too much sugar content. Apparently fruits should be in limited amounts in the early stages, but that's only what I was explained, you may have been given the go ahead from your enlightenedcentre

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/13 2:49 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I wouldn't use them too often if ever.  Maybe you need to go back to pureed for a few days and see how that goes.  Not everyone is ready to move on to the next phase at exactly the same time.  I was always told if one stage doesn't work go back to one that did and then try again a few days later.  The drink you mentioned is more like a puree so maybe that's all you need to do to get in other foods right now.

Marny B.
on 5/16/13 3:08 am - Canada

I wouldn't.  The website doesn't mention the specific ingredients, which probably means there is added sugar in addition to the natural sugar.  They don't just use berries, there is often, also a fruit prep that contains berry flavoured syrups packed with sugar. If I put some yogurt and berries into my blender, it tastes nowhere near as sweet as those you buy in the store.  :)

If you like the tast of those shakes, why don't you use a cup of milk, scoop of protein powder (I sometimes use Chocorite Vanilla, because it has smaller 10g protein scoops, so less of the whey taste), a serving of vanilla greek yogurt, ice, and a half cup of fresh or frozen berries.  You can even put in a in a squirt of berry flavoured Mio if you like a sweeter smoothie.  That would get you very close to 30 grams of protein, and could be split up over the day to drink. 

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

Marny B.
on 5/16/13 3:10 am, edited 5/16/13 3:56 am - Canada

Also, if I remember back a while, someone had posted a recipe for a custard they bake in the oven that is soft and easy to get down, but SF and a decent amount of protien.  I think you could find it in the Recipe Forum.  See Tracey's sig. line for the link.

Edit to add:  Here is a link for one I found on pinterest. I bet you could successfully add vanilla protein powder to these to make them even more protein.  As it stands, there are about 7 1/2 grams per little ramikin.  Looks yummy and would be easy on your pouch.

http://julesfood.blogspot.ca/2012/10/greek-yogurt-souffle.ht ml

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/13 3:19 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Why not just make your own. Fat Free Greek Yogurt, Fresh Fruit, ice sweetner, some Milk and some protein powder. Whiz it up in the blender.   

zillah
on 5/16/13 4:30 am

Good idea Brenda especially if it's Greek yogurt and unflavoured isolate protein can be added to regular  yogurt to add some protein to it.  I make my version of ice cream by whirring frozen fruit in my food processor, or a blender would work too, I add sweetener, and enough milk to give it a ice cream consistency, unflavoured protein powder could also be added.

Most Active
Recent Topics