Hagan and Klein up to their same old dirty tricks, promised VSG now only offering friend RNY

Bruce Jr.
on 5/13/13 5:05 am - Collingwood, Canada

I can't believe we in Ontario have not gotten some better bariatric care since the day's I frequented this site from 2006-2009.  My friend did her research and decided a VSG was the option best suited for her (I had DS in '07 but didn't push one way or another other than to insist on her doing her options research).  She has approval and a surgery date for a VSG (after jumping through all the required bs optifast money grab hoops) but last minute Klein said he would only do RNY for her and that she would have to switch to Hagen.  She met with Hagen today and was told because of her history of acid reflux he would only be willing to do RNY on her.  She of course is devastated.  

I recall all the issues people who had RNY gastric bypass were having with strictures related to their stomas (scarring over the surgeon made orifice connecting the more acidic pouch to the more base small intestine) and I am pretty surprised that a surgery removing the outer curvature of the stomach (thus reducing the volume of acid generated) while keeping original pyloric valve physiology intact would be considered a lesser option for someone with acid reflux.

So anyway, hated them then, hate them now.

Are there any successful Ontario recent applicants for OOC for VSG with a good doctor like perhaps Dr. Poplowski in Michigan?  If you could sharing the current status of how to apply, wait times etc.. it would be much appreciated.

thanks-Collingwood Ed / Bruce Jr.

high 47BMI/360lbs, now @ goal since 1.25 years post DS 23.5BMI/187lbs
"Faith is not the answer, it only stops you from asking the questions"- Frater Ravus
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/13 5:40 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Nobody is being approved for OOC.   She could ask to be seen by one of the surgeons at St. Joe's Toronto that are in network with HRRH as they are more open to VSG as a choice.  GERD is common after VSG and most with VSG end up on PPI for life.  Perhaps since she has acid reflux to begin with, they don't want to make matters worse?  I know that Sam1am who had a VSG over 4 years ago said her reflux is just as bad if not worse with her VSG. 

Nice to see you back around.

mona8
on 5/13/13 5:42 am - Kingston, Canada
OHIP will no longer cover surgeries out of country or even out of province.

Ref- Aug 2011, Orient ( OWMC )- Nov 11, Transfer to Kingston- May 12, NP, DT,SW,H-pylori ( neg ), BW, Ab US,- Jul 12, NP return Aug 12 ( HBA1C 8.2 ), started insulin - Sept 12, Diabetic Opti Clinic-Jan 11 13 ( HBA1C 7.0 ), pre-op class- Feb 6 13, Surgeon Feb 22 2013 ( Dr. Hagen HRRH ), Dr. Glazier March 18 2013, PATTS Mar 12 2013, Opti Mar 21 2013 Surgery April 4 2013.

Bruce Jr.
on 5/13/13 5:51 am - Collingwood, Canada

Thanks guys, with a DS, I basically have a vsg on top and a switch on the bottom and I've never had any acid reflux issues.

high 47BMI/360lbs, now @ goal since 1.25 years post DS 23.5BMI/187lbs
"Faith is not the answer, it only stops you from asking the questions"- Frater Ravus
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/13 5:53 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

For some reason it seems to be more common in VSG alone, not sure why but as a dinosaur around here that reads many different forums, I see it a lot on the VSG forum and seldom on the DS forum.

Nanato2
on 5/13/13 5:58 am, edited 5/13/13 6:00 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I was told one of the side effects of a VSG is acid reflux and I already had acid reflux before my VSG and they said it could be made worse by the surgery and it was. Sometimes it is so bad I can hardly drink water and I know others who never had it and had a VSG and now they have acid reflux. Maybe because you had a DS along with it this helped.

Even though I had acid reflux prior to having my VSG I was given a VSG because I could not have a RNY because of other medical conditions. 

One day hopefully in Ontario OHIP will allow patients to choose the surgery they want but for now they say RNY is gold standard unless you meet the requirements for a VSG.  

With any surgery there can be complications but since 2009 the surgeons have gotten very experienced as they are doing WLS almost every day and strictures can happen in people who have had RNY or VSG.

Good luck to your friend.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

esther_cyw
on 5/13/13 6:02 am - Canada
RNY on 04/26/13
Too many catch phrases for me...whats VSG?
Nanato2
on 5/13/13 6:06 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Vertical sleeve gastrectomy.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

starry957
on 5/13/13 1:35 pm

I had VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan at St Joe's in Toronto.  I told him it was the only surgery I was interested in, for a few reasons.  One of the reasons I gave, was that I had some probable arthritis in my knee and that I took Advil a few times a week.  I went in with no other medical issues at all....I was approved for VSG no problem.  I think Dr Sullivan "might" have? worded it differently in his own paperwork - I have no idea, but I definitely got the sense that he is totally supportive re: VSG.  He didn't try to talk me out of it or promote RNY to me at all.  I did not have acid reflux prior to surgery, and I'm not sure if I have it now - still on PPI every day.  I've skipped a day here and there and didn't seem to have much of a problem.  I read somewhere that GERD can appear or get worse after VSG, but that several years out, it often gets better than it was to begin with?  Just something I read somewhere.

Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

PaulaToronto
on 5/13/13 6:04 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hi Bruce, if your friend wants a VSG have her transfer to St. Joes, in Hamilton.  All three doctors there do a very good VSG and I have not heard of anyone who wanted one getting denied. Dr. Hong was my surgeon who came with US training and practice doing the VSG.  I am very happy with mine. The head of bariatric centers for Ontario is the chief there (Dr. Ansari) and he too is very supportive of VSG. I had nothing but a great experience except for the fact they had no VSG literature or diet, but I followed Dr. Cirangles program from the states.

While there have been a handful of VSGs from the MIS group they still prefer the RNY.  

Yes I had a VSG  there and yes I have acid reflux but it is managed very well by taking one - two prevacid a day.  I tried going off it but my body didn't react well.  Many VSGers stay on Prevacid or something similar for life.

St. Joes in Hamilton also does the DS without much jumping over hoops if you need and want that surgery.

St. Joes in Toronto seem to be a bit more pro VSG too but Hamilton is where every doctor is pro VSG. 

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Most Active
Recent Topics