Not losing like I thought

finaly4me79
on 6/3/13 1:03 am

Hey everyone so I am two months out of my RNY and I have not lost as much as I thought I would of by now. I am a light weight and I know that it takes longer for us then someone heavier. I have done everything they have asked of me and never cheat on my diet. But it seems that every pound I lose two pounds come back the next week. I know it is not all about the pounds but it sucks when you see them go back up. I use to be a size 20 and now wear a 15 so I know that is good but I have only lost 20 pounds in two months 10 pounds a month is that a good thing?

Lorieliz
on 6/3/13 1:49 am - Canada

How well did dieting work for you before the surgery?.

Honestly, you are doing fine. Up your workouts,or tweak what you are eating (different kinds of food). Going down sizes is way better than losing pounds. As long as you are not gaining,,,it's all good. You may go through dives and plateaus. You body does everything it can to stop from losing weight, and it gets its way for a certain period of time. If you keep plugging away...it will give and find a new plateau.

Keep up the work and DON'T EVER give up.

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

2mar
on 6/3/13 1:52 am
RNY on 09/20/12

When was the last time you lost 20 pounds in 2 months? heartA number is just a number.

I read that some people - great for them - lost 100 pounds 5 months out. I lost 95 pounds and I am 8 months out. LOL

It is not about the weight - it is about loosing and keeping it off and doing the right things and changing your lifestyle and it looks that you are doing everything right.

You are doing ok - Follow the program - be honest with yourself and write everything down and you will be ok.

Best of luck

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

Onward and
Downward

on 6/3/13 7:50 am, edited 6/3/13 8:00 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Yes, this is true - I'm one of the ones who lost 100 lbs at 5 months out, but don't forget, I started at 336 lbs! :)  You started 100 lbs lighter, so I think 95 lbs in 8 months is freakin' fantastic! :)  And you're at goal.  I probably won't be at goal by 8 months. :)

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Catw
on 6/3/13 2:54 am - Arnprior, Canada

This chart keeps coming up once in a while, so I'll pass it on to you and all other newbies, just remember, you could be gaining muscle weight, while losing fat as muscle is more dense than fat, the scale won't move as much but the tape measure does:

Expected excess body weight loss:
6 weeks - 25%
3 months - 35%
6 months - 55%
9 months - 70%
1 year - 80%

For patients weighing 200 to 250 lbs.
10 lbs. in first 10 days
15 to 25 lbs. in 6 weeks
25 to 35 lbs. in 3 months
35 to 45 lbs. in 6 months
60 lbs. or more in 1 year
70 lbs. or more in 18 months

For patients weighing 250 to 300 lbs.
10 to 12 lbs. in first 10 days
15 to 25 lbs. in 6 weeks
25 to 35 lbs. in 3 months
45 to 60 lbs. in 6 months
80 lbs. or more in 1 year
90 lbs. or more in 18 month

For patients weighing 300 to 400 lbs.
10 to 30 lbs. in first 10 days
25 to 45 lbs. in 6 weeks
35 to 55 lbs. in 3 months
50 to 80 lbs. in 6 months
100 lbs. or more in 1 year
120 lbs. or more in 18 months

For patients weighing 400 to 500 lbs.
10 to 30 lbs. in first 10 days
25 to 45 lbs. in 6 weeks
35 to 60 lbs. in 3 months
50 to 90 lbs. in 6 months
120 lbs. or more in 1 year
150 lbs. or more in 18 months

Keep up the good work!

Cathy

finaly4me79
on 6/3/13 3:37 am

Ok great thanks everyone... From what I see on the list I am doing just fine. Now the other question is how many calories should i get in a day?

Everyday is different for me but I get in around 600 to 850 a day and I get in around 65 to 80 grams of protein a day. Some days I cant get to much in and others I feel like I can eat or drink anything. I am still a little short on my water intake I get 5 cups a day in but I also have a cup of tea and a cup of milk a day. I walk every night for an hour but have not started my workouts yet cause I am still not aloud to pick up anything more then 5 pounds. They haven't let me go back to work yet either because I do a lot of lifting. My Doctor said July.

Catw
on 6/3/13 4:54 am - Arnprior, Canada

I'm not sure what the calorie amount is at each stage.  We weren't really given that amount.  We were told to make sure that we got our protein in though.  You might be a bit low on that part, but if you aim for a minimum of 80 grams of protein, it should work out.

Try to build up your water, especially with the heat and when you work out.  You'll lose more than you realize in the heat and at the gym/work.

Keep up the good work!

Cathy

LilyBugsMommy
on 6/3/13 5:15 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

At my 6 week follow-up appt. the NP told me to aim for 900-1200 calories if I was exercising and about 800-900 if I didn't exercise on a particular day. I had told her my plan was to go swimming everyday before work and she said I needed the extra calories to help with that.

I have my 3 month appt. coming up on June 12 and will be asking the Nut the same questions, lol. I will let you know what she says!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Onward and
Downward

on 6/3/13 7:58 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

It sounds to me like you're doing pretty well if you started out light to begin with.  The really dramatic results you sometimes see here have a lot to do with how heavy people were to begin with, and also just on our individual bodies and how they hold onto or release the pounds.  Everyone's different.  If you're losing, you're doing great. :)  Size 20 to 15!  That's amazing.

Maybe think of it in percentages instead.  If you see someone has lost a lot of weight in a short time and you know their starting and current weight, see if you can figure out what overall percentage of their body weight they've lost.  You might find that you're closer than you think.  It's so hard not to compare to others, but I remember I was looking at what someone who started around the same time as me had lost, and while they had lost considerably fewer pounds, when I worked out the percentage of weight they've lost from their starting weight, they had actually lost a higher percentage than I had at that point.  I thought that was really interesting.

As for calories - no idea what would be right for you.  I think as long as you're sticking to your protein range, and being careful not to eat things that are high in sugar or fat, then you'll be in the right calorie range for you.  That's what we were told at TWH, that we didn't need to worry about calories as long as we were following the eating rules.  We were told to keep our portion sizes to a certain volume, and make sure half our plate was protein, a quarter was veggies and a quarter grains, eat the protein first, veggies if room after that, and grains if room after that (and if not, then skip it).  And to ensure between 60-80g of protein per day at first. (Now I try to ensure that I have 80g minimum.)

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

BoomersMom
on 6/3/13 8:01 am - Canada

I am a lightweight too and we lose a lot slower than someone, who is heavier.

I lose about 2 to 2.5 lbs per week.

I have never had weight just fall off, like some people.

For me, I only have 1/4 of a whole wheat pita per day, as bread and starches have never been handled well by my body.

So, I have to really limit them or I will gain weight or stall.

For a snack, I eat a bowl of watermelon. It is sweet  and thirst quenching at the same time.

I also eat Yoplait Greek  flavoured Yogurt (2) for my 2nd snack.

I make sure that I get in all my 60 grams of protein  and 8 cups of water and vitamins a day.

The water really makes a difference.

I cycle 30 minutes per day...... every day.  That has broken my stalls.

I am 3.5 months out and have lost about 55 pounds,...... bit by bit.

I go to a diet doctor for support and he advised me not to eat the bread and crackers.

Every pound adds up and I am now in Onderland.

You are doing very well . Celebrate your victories and Congratulations !!!!!!

All the very best to you on your journey.

Brooke

Most Active
Recent Topics