Would Love Your Input Re: Tummy Tuck

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/8/13 5:20 am - Windsor, Canada

Hi there,

I'm calling upon all those who've had Tummy tucks after weight loss surgery.  I am the great debater and am at least going to research the procedure and get a consult and see if it's for me.  My excess stomach skin is starting to bother me more and more and hubby is saying that if it bothers me this much, then I should at least look into surgery.  So here I am.  So I have a few questions of those who've had the procedure:

First, would love to know who you had it with.  About how much the procedure costs, and how happy/unhappy you are with the overall difference of the skin removal. 

Did it make a difference in terms of pants sizes? Did you lose any weight? I know that weight loss is not really what it is for..so I'm just curious how much "skin" they took off?  Did it change how you felt about your belly area?  Was it worth the cost of the procedure?

Did you try to get any of the panni part covered through OHIP.  I doubt I will get anything covered as I have had no skin rashes of any kind.  Did the doctor automatically consider the OHIP funding or did you have to bring it up?

Did any of you travel for the procedure? Is that even possible with the post op pain?  Or is it not a good idea overall to be far from home?

What was your recovery like?

I'd appreciate anything you'd like to share with me here or in private message. 

Thanks

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/13 5:46 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Here are my answers in red.

First, would love to know who you had it with.  About how much the procedure costs, and how happy/unhappy you are with the overall difference of the skin removal.   $8500 plus tax in 2008, pleased with the outcome  Dr. Lista

Did it make a difference in terms of pants sizes?   YES Did you lose any weight?  YES I know that weight loss is not really what it is for..so I'm just curious how much "skin" they took off? 17 lbs of skin, fat, fluids  Did it change how you felt about your belly area?Definitely  Was it worth the cost of the procedure? Absolutely

Did you try to get any of the panni part covered through OHIP.  NO  I doubt I will get anything covered as I have had no skin rashes of any kind.  Did the doctor automatically consider the OHIP funding or did you have to bring it up?  My PS doesn't work with OHIP so it was never brought up.

Did any of you travel for the procedure? Travelled from Timmins to Mississauga Is that even possible with the post op pain?  Very possible Or is it not a good idea overall to be far from home? I was asked to stay within an hour for 10 days post op but I am also 8 hours or more away.

What was your recovery like?  First day I was stoned out of my tree, second day much better, walked around grocery store slowly with my friend, third day back to work from home and only real pain was from sleeping on my back as I couldn't sleep on my side for over a week. Day 4 I think it was I was helping my friend bake for her son's upcoming wedding. Flew home on day 10 unassisted through Pearson with no issues at all.

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/8/13 8:51 am - Windsor, Canada

Thanks so much for your reply Tracey!

Much appreciated!

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!

merly6800
on 8/8/13 6:57 am - Canada

Hi.  I sent you a message on FB to add me here so you can see after photos of the surgery.

You'll be so pleased with your results!

Megan M.
on 8/8/13 12:37 pm - Canada

I just had surgery a week ago with Dr. Kreidstein.  He works with OHIP, and with upgrade to full tt and mons repair, I paid $5G.  I am still swollen and the surgical site is angry and raw, but even so, I am happy, happy.  I am going to have quite a sexy navel, not that anyone will ever see it, but can't describe how wonderful and weird it is to not have a kangaroo pouch hanging around my hips.  I travelled from Thunder Bay and hope that I can go home after my appt. on Tuesday.  We spent five nights in hotel and were lucky to be able to move to my niece's condo, as having to travel as far as we did is very expensive.  I am recovering well and do not take any pain meds now.  The first couple days were kind of rough, but things definitely started looking up on day 3.  So far I have no regrets, and am now wondering how new boobs would look with my new flattened abdomen.  No regrets so far.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

birdiegirl
on 8/9/13 8:56 am

Hi Dawn

to me - plastic surgery finished the job WLS started.....I was never going to get rid of the overhang....and my muscles were ruined with weight gain

I had an extended abdominoplasty....with Dr Thoma at St Joes in Hamilton....he was great....the OR nurses indicated thats who they would go to if they required plastics....he is conservative - which I like

Cost - $8500 all in

I lost 7 pounds of flesh.......pants were the same size but I could now wear flat fronted pants.....and look good in them.....no tire around the middle

My mother became ill 10 days post surgery....so I needed to get up and about shortly afterward.....otherwise, I would have liked a full 2 weeks prior to regular activity

Pain was manageable - the drains grossed me out at first - but I got used to them and they were removed one week later....I had a fairly dry surgery...

It was absolutely the right thing for me to do.....I would never have felt thin without the tummy tuck.....totally changed my look

Good luck with your decision.....tips for aftercare to come if you decide to go forward

HeidiA
on 8/12/13 12:12 pm, edited 8/12/13 12:14 pm - Ottawa, Canada

First, would love to know who you had it with.  Dr Samuel, his office is located on Bathurst St in Downsview (Toronto)

About how much the procedure costs - I cannot give you a price as I had a total of three procedures done at the same time as my tummy tuck

how happy/unhappy you are with the overall difference of the skin removal.   I am very please and do not regret it as I can now buy pants/shorts/skirts a lot easier.  I am now able to wear a bikini with no embarrassment

Did it make a difference in terms of pants sizes? Went down a couple of sizes and can wear pants with zippers a lot easier

Did you lose any weight? Not with the removal as it was mostly skin only

Did it change how you felt about your belly area? Can now wear bikinis!!!!!

Was it worth the cost of the procedure? YES

Did you try to get any of the panni part covered through OHIP.  I doubt I will get anything covered as I have had no skin rashes of any kind.  Did not meet the criteria of how much it "hangs"  I used to have rashes but is not one of the main crieterias.

Did the doctor automatically consider the OHIP funding or did you have to bring it up?  Dr told me right off the bat that I did not meet the main criteria.

Did any of you travel for the procedure? Yes as I am from Ottawa.  Got the referall to Dr Samuel from by surgeon,  Dr Klein.

Is that even possible with the post op pain?  Yes

Or is it not a good idea overall to be far from home? distance from home was not a major factor, should be in the area for the first 4 days or so and then return for the removal of stitches 10 days later.  I stayed in town for the ten days and once the stitches were removed came home.  Returned for follow up about 3 months later

What was your recovery like? Because i had various procedures done the tummy tuck was a breeze compared to the other areas.  Had to wear a binder for 6 weeks but I found it very comfortable to wear.

I'd appreciate anything you'd like to share with me here or in private message. 

Thanks

Dawn

Heidi
 Listed below are the upcoming Coffee nights at Starbucks (Hunt Club and Merivale Rd) starting at 7:00 pm.

ohcardheidismanimated.gif picture by lynnca1972

Mary A.
on 8/13/13 12:37 am

First, would love to know who you had it with. About how much the procedure costs, and how happy/unhappy you are with the overall difference of the skin removal.

(my response)

I haven't had mine done yet...so that is still to be determined..I was quoted $4,000.00 to upgrade to a full tummy tuck..the appeal of a full TT for me is I would no longer have stretch marks

From what I have read over the years of being on this merry go round..is that you will lose another 7-10lbs with the amount that is removed depending on your removal..and for me...when I get it done..the $4,000.00 will be worth it.

Did you try to get any of the panni part covered through OHIP. I doubt I will get anything covered as I have had no skin rashes of any kind. Did the doctor automatically consider the OHIP funding or did you have to bring it up?

(my response)

as you have read time and time again..I was not initially approved

...I didn't go to my doctor for the rashes I had..I took care of it myself with Penaten diaper rash cream..I was denied initially with one word from OHIP (borderline)..I went through the appeal process.not for the faint of heart and you have to be willing to see it through..because if you actually make it to a hearing..you will sit in front of 3 complete strangers and tell exactly why you believe your procedure is medially necessary..there is the court reporter, a OHIP appointed PS and a rep from MOHLTC.

Did any of you travel for the procedure? Is that even possible with the post op pain? Or is it not a good idea overall to be far from home?

(my response)

I live in Thunder Bay and had my consult in Scarbourough...so the travel was necessary...I am planning to write OHIP and ask if they will consider moving my approval to a new PS that has relocated to THunder Bay..in order that I won;t have to stay in a hotel and won't need to apply for the Northern Ontario Travel Grant.  As long as you have good follow-up care and a registered nurse comes everyday to change your dressings and look at your drains and output of fluids and you have a doctor that you can consult with right away..I don't believe that being away from home has any relevance other than convenience and maybe cost.

You should go in with a positive attitude and hoping that that OHIP will cover your pannilectomy..there are 3 criteria laid out in Appendix D of the requirements..and you have definatly maintained your weight loss for the required 6 months (LOL)....as Megan M has said before..I think sometimes it's how ell versed the PS are in getting around the OHIP screeners...

If I can help in anyway, please hollar.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/13/13 3:33 am - Windsor, Canada

ThanksMary for your very thorough response. 

Much appreciated!!

dawn

mistral
on 8/13/13 3:43 am - Elora, Canada

Hi Dawn

I am three years post RNY - lost about 85 lbs so had alot of loose skin on my abdomen.  I had a tummy tuck by Dr Matic in London at the end of May so am about 2.5 months out.  

I had two other consultations with doctors in Scarborough and Oakville, but chose Dr Matic based on his qualifications as well as his approach - he didn't promise the world, but gave me a realistic estimate of what he could achieve.  He also had me stay overnight in the hospital, which I was grateful for.  Can't imagine doing it as an outpatient.  That being said you probably could do it if you didn't have a choice.  I was glad that I had help at home for the first couple of weeks - it is hard to get out of bed yourself without help.  I was up and walking around the next day..... albeit slowly.

I am thrilled with the results.  Flat tummy, new navel, no muffin top!  it got rid of a horrible scar on my tummy from another surgery which was a bonus.   At 53 I'm not sure about a bikini but could wear one if I wanted to.  I lost about 10 lbs.  Still can wear some but not all of my clothes - my hips are probably the same, but waist is considerably smaller.  

Pain really was manageable - with Tylenol 3's for the first several weeks.  I was off work for three weeks. I was able to be covered by OHIP - for a panni, (history of rashes, overhang of panni) so the upcharge to go to a full TT was about $3600.  

I could send you a photo if you're interested.

Nancy

Most Active
Recent Topics