Help major weight gain

reneemonique
on 8/13/13 5:58 am - Canada

After loosing 131 lbs i have regained about 50 lbs.... I haven't actually looked at the scale in a long time because it is scary. I am feeling like a huge failure. Life caught up to my and my nutrition came in last. Their just wasn't time to pre plan and be prepared... Should i go on with the excuse or suck it up and take the blame for my crappy eating habits, soft drink consumption and alcohol consumption. Dense protein, rarely eaten, sugar free... only if its pop. Good god i am on the path of self destruction, and this is my confession. I plan do start the 5 day pouch test tomorrow. May prolong days 1 and 2. I am so far gone it isn't even about getting back on track any more its about regain some sort of control and being comfortable in by body again. I feel like crap, have no energy and don't enjoy or take pride in my appearance. Has any one else had a big weight gain and been able to get back on track? IF so how and did your body readjust or was it the same struggle as before surgery.

Thanks

One Love ~Renee Monique~        
DeidreB
on 8/13/13 6:42 am
Congratulations on the big loss and on your courage for sharing the regain. We've all been there preops and many post ops. Relapse is part of every recovery ( from addiction) process and is pretty normal !
NOT failure. This is our life long work- to prioritize ourselves and our health every day while surrounded by the demands of others and unhealthy choices.

You can turn this around. I always find positive thoughts about myself are more motivating than beating myself up. What's worse than 50 lb gain? 51 lb or 60 lb gain. Call in sick/ take a few days vacation and cut out people/stuff from your calendar that are barriers to making yourself a priority, plan your meals,shop for good food, and Start moving again. In a month you could be down 5 or 10 lbs! The alternative? Another month (or more) being overwhelmed and sacrificing your self care to outside demands and gaining.

Also this is not a good time to be alone in this work. Call in the troops. Do you have a therapist or support group through the bariatric clinic?

There's a lot to be learned from relapse that can make you stronger going forward. That we can go off track and learn our triggers, and more importantly that we can get back on track. Be kind to yourself, you are worth it.

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/13 7:34 am - Straford, Canada

seek help, join some support group(s), stop the pop and alcohol is all I can think of to suggest.  you are experiencing my biggest fear and hope it stays just that, a fear.  I wish I could help more.  good luck changing direction!  I would like to hear how you're doing in the future, what worked, what didn't.  It could help those coming behind you!  

sister_scaleback
on 8/13/13 7:45 am

As someone who is just starting this weight loss journey, this is one of my biggest fears.  I am afraid of going through all the pain and recover...life changing lifestyle...to then gain a lot back after a year or two.  I was told this surgery is just a tool to help you do the work.  I can see that it must be true so I would just say go back to the basics and start working the tool.  (Although keep in mind I'm just a NOOB)  :)  I wish you lots of success and will follow your progress to help keep me motivated!

Referred to Windsor May 2013,  Toronto final approval on Feb. 20,2014. Met Surgeon May 2, 2014. RNY Surgery Date June 16,2014!

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/13/13 7:45 am - Windsor, Canada

Are you on Facebook!?  See my signature. I have a group for long timers and in that group we have a subgroup for daily accountability if you'd like to join either. 

Accountability is key to keeping off weight and getting regain off. If you can find a friend too to be your accountability partner that's a good thing too. It's very easy to regain.  Been there, done that and have the tshirt. You can also lose regain too. Many os us double our protein to carbs to get it off.  I wish you well. Drop me a line anytime. 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Monica M.
on 8/13/13 7:52 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

you're not a failure. You've relapsed, and you're smart to get yourself back on track.

1. Move daily, in some way. Physical exercise is a must!!

2. Track your intake, either use My fitness pal, or the food tracker on here, or a piece of paper and a pencil. Do something.

3. Go back to basics.

4. get onto the "what are you eating/doing" thread, if there isn't one on here, then start it yourself. Be accountable to yourself.

Get in control!

You can do this!

I know you can. You know you can.

Good luck!!

P_Floyd
on 8/13/13 8:06 am - Canada

Consider this a step in the right direction so all is not lost. You know it's your eating so that's where to look at improving. Exercise makes you fit, diet makes you gain or lose weight. You shouldn't drink pop, eat crap instead of good food with protein aforethought. All of this you know. So the elephant in the room must be, what is bothering you that makes you want to hurt yourself like this? 

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

KarenHope
on 8/13/13 8:19 am
RNY on 04/15/13

Thank you for having the courage to reach out and share your struggle.

Sounds like you are determined to take control again and great that you have a plan. 

We are all cheering you on!

Referral Oct '11 Orientation Ottawa Dec 9 '11 NP June 25 '12 Sleep Clinic July 27 '12 

Tr to Kingston Aug '12  NP/SW/Nut Oct 1 '12 Pre-Op class - Dec 12 '12 Surgeon  Mar 4 '13    Surgery Apr 15 '13     

HW 304 CW 175 GOAL 150  

Mary A.
on 8/14/13 3:00 am

acknowledging it is the beginning..now you know that you have slipped and what you need to do about it.

how the heck do you drink pop???? at almost 6 years post-op I once in a blue moon might have a sip..but it's gross~!!..oh yeah we know that alcohol...can play a part and replace food and stuff some of our emotions into it....

all the best~!!

BELIEVE IN YOUR ABILITIES>>YOU HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE AND CAN AGAIN~!!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

reneemonique
on 8/14/13 4:27 am - Canada

Thank you every one for your replies, well wishes and suggestions.

One Love ~Renee Monique~        
Most Active
Recent Topics