Post Op Pain.

nmcgreen
on 8/26/13 12:11 am - Canada

Today it is day 4 post op. I still have quite a bit of pain in the left side (the usual) but realized I do not tolerate the dilaudid. It makes me nauseous, so I only have tylenol to take. Does anyone remember how long this lasts about? I would love a guess just to see how much longer I have to put up with it.

November 27th Referral sent. January Group orientation. April 10th Nurse . May 21st Nutrition and Behavior. May 24 Ultrasound. June 26th Group. July 16 Surgeon Surgery August 22

jellyfishattack
on 8/26/13 12:51 am - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Hi,

It's pretty difficult to say, because everyone heals up at a different rate.  I think the younger and maybe smaller you are, the faster you heal?   You might have been in more pain than I was to begin with since you got Dilaudid to bring home, I think it's stronger than Percocet, but I'm not sure. 

I got noticeably better every day I was out of the hospital.

I took 1 Percocet every 4 hours for the 1st three days I was at home, and then one once on the fourth day, and a Tylenol #3 on the 5th day (once too).

Luckily, opiates don't make me nauseous.  I'm sorry to hear you're pretty uncomfortable.

Why don't you call your surgeon's office and ask them if they can prescribe an anti-emetic for you (I'm sure you've already found that Gravol is useless).  There are effective drugs they give chemotherapy patients he could give you for a couple of days, since you seem to need a narcotic.

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

Mom_of_Mack
on 8/26/13 1:40 am - Arnprior, Canada

My left side pain lingered for about 2.5 weeks.  I too was given dilauded but I never took it.  I just crushed an extra strength tylenol whenever I felt really uncomfortable and I found that took the edge off the pain.  Good luck with your healing. 

Cheers,

K

Referral: August 1/12  Orientation: Sept. 7/12  Nurse Practitioner: December 28/12  Nut/Beh: January 22/13  Abdo Ultrasound: Jan 2013  Nut/Beh#2: March 12/13  Pre-Op Class: March 20/13  Dr. Mamazza:  March 26/13   Surgery: June 13/13 with Dr. Raiche

Mary A.
on 8/26/13 1:43 am

you have to remember that for this surgery they have gone through 7 layers of muscle, tissue, fat and mind you they may only be fingernail width incisions..but they have done a lot of internal work laproscopically..if you are releasing gas well and you are up and walking as much as you can I would suggest you contact your bariatric clinic.office.

I had pain for about 3 days after released from hospital...my pain pump came out...and luckily that was the end of pain..I had no need to consume any other pain medicaiton.  Take the extra strength Tylenol as often as permitted.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

sublimechick
on 8/26/13 2:31 am - Canada

Aww I feel for you!! I was asking my friends who had the surgery also how long until this horrible crap ends!!

For me at 6 days it was sooo much better. And I went back to work FT 7 days after surgery....and I work 60 hours a week so I was really feeling better to be able to start that!!

Some of my friends said 2 weeks for them. 

But I am sure you will be good in 2-3 days!!

Referral sent Sept 2012 -Info Session -January 7 2013.  Surgeon (Dr. Huynh-HRRH) February 5 2013. Dr. Glazer, Nurse, SW and NUT -> March 25 2013, May 1st, Surgeon, Patts-June 6. SURGERY JUNE 26 2013!! 100 lbs gone in 4 months!

nmcgreen
on 8/26/13 9:12 am - Canada

Went to ER. taken right away. New meds and feeling sooooooo much better

November 27th Referral sent. January Group orientation. April 10th Nurse . May 21st Nutrition and Behavior. May 24 Ultrasound. June 26th Group. July 16 Surgeon Surgery August 22

jellyfishattack
on 8/26/13 1:14 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

I'm glad to hear you're doing well now & can relax and nap and recover, and move around without pain or nausea.

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

meighanfish
on 8/26/13 9:20 am

I had a lot of pain for the first week, then it started to get better every week.  At the 4 week mark I was able to do so much more and by week 5 I was pain free.

Most Active