Surgery is coming fast! Whole process was less then 3 months total!!!!!!!!!!!

hynesj85
on 8/30/13 4:44 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 10/02/13

Amazed I got threw this whole process in less then 3 months from start to getting a surgery date....I LOVE YOU Toronto Western Hospital....anyone in here who is just starting I want to make sure I stress this to you....THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE OIL! Call ALL the time for cancelations. I will be having surgery with Dr. Aarts at Toronto East General...I meet her this Friday and I will get my date for surgery...I have all my opti already...bring it on RNY! Anyone have Dr. Aarts?! Is she good?

Referral Sent June 03 2013////Orientation @ TWH July 08 2013////Nurse Practitioner July 10 2013////Sleep Study July 20 2013////Social Worker July 23 2013////Nutrition Class August 20 2013////Dietitian August 13/21 2013////Psychologist August 13 2013////Sleep Study Results August 21 2013////Surgeon Appointment Sept 06 2013////SURGERY @TEGH October 2 2013    

Pawsitive_One
on 8/30/13 9:13 pm
RNY on 07/02/13

I may not know Dr. Aarts but I wanted to say GREAT job with being your own advocate and calling in to see if there's any cancelations!    For the record, you're not a squeaky wheel....you're WORTH IT!   Well done!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/13 10:26 pm
Yay! Awesome work!
jellyfishattack
on 8/30/13 10:57 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Holy cow, my process at TWH took 13 months and I even got a cancelation for surgery, but everyone's journey through the system is different.  I personally might not have been ready to have surgery in 3 months - it took me awhile to get my head screwed on right and to try out some post-op recipes, and get exercising.

I met Dr. Aarts at the 'meet your surgeon' appointment at TWH, only to find out that she & her colleague at TEGH, Dr. Jamie Cyriac, rotate that duty, so although I met her, I had Dr. Cyriac do my operation.  I met him 15 minutes before surgery.  He was very nice and allowed me time to ask any questions I might have had.

I liked Dr. Aarts too.  I asked her what percentage of laparoscopic RNYs she had to convert into open procedures and she said, "none", that "they'd never done one", so I assumed that she spoke both for herself and Dr. Cyriac.  They both sound like great surgeons.  She said that Dr. Cyriac has as much experience as she had, and he did a great job with my RNY and ensured I had excellent post-op pain control in the TEGH, as well as at home for the few days I needed anything).  You're definitely in good hands!

When the PATTs nurse asks you to fill out a form asking if you'd prefer a single or semi-private room at the TEGH, DON'T fill it out and sign it.  All their rooms are semi-private.  I asked for private, or semi thinking I could be on a ward) and although all they had was semi, I still got charged that $365+/day for semi!

Good luck with your surgery & I'm hoping you have as speedy and as uneventful a recovery as I did.

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

newpossibilities
on 8/31/13 2:53 am - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13
That is great news. Calling for cancelations really does help. I met with DR Aarts and will be having surgery with DR CYRIAC as others have mentioned.

I dont know what their scheduling is like right now but when I met with DR Aarts in July the surgery date I received was for november! I was soooo disappointed since the secretary who booked the appointment with me told me that the DR was booking dates about 1 month away and others that day received dates in august. By the time the DR met with me that day, all she had left were November dates. I almost cried.

Like you, the rest of the journey had been relatively quick from orientation to meet the surgeon was 2.5 months. Then a 5 month wait for surgery

They do have a cancelation list though so if you end up with a long wait to surgery and are flexible it is possible that it could be bumped up.

Best of luck meeting DR aarts, she is lovely.

Referral Mar 1, 2013 Orientation Apr 17, NP May 2, SW May 6, Nut May 6, Dietitian June 6, Psych June 18, meet surgeon July 5, PATTS Oct 8, Surgery Nov 19th

Ande
on 8/31/13 6:58 am - Canada
Dr. Aarts did my surgery. She was great!

RNY Wednesday July 3rd 2013

1greeneyedgirl
on 8/31/13 8:00 am - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Congratulations!  Good for you!

Cathy xo

Orientation: Feb 2013, Surgeon, Nurse, Dietician: June 2013, Dr. Glazier: April 2013, Surgeon: Dr. John Hagen, June 2013, PATTS: August 2013, Optifast: August 2013, Surgery: HRRH Sept. 5, 2013

hynesj85
on 9/3/13 4:19 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 10/02/13

Thank you all for the great feedback....I feel much more assured now that some others have good things to say about the surgeon. I wanted to ask tho, when you go for the surgeon app the desk clerk said we get our surgery date then...but I want to know why exactly is it a 2.5 hr surgeon app...what exactly do you do?

Jenn- You said you had to end up paying $365/day for the semi....didn't insurance cover that? Assuming you have insurance. Do they have private rooms? && how long were you there for?

Newpossibilities- Yeah my best friend also has her surgeon date this Friday 30 min after mine...she asked Rayann(desk clerk) when they are booking surgery for and she also told us the same...she said they are booking November, however she did say we could possibly get in for October and she will put us on the cancelation list which works good for me as I am off for a few months but for my friend not so much as she would need to let work know...me on the other hand can get a call for surgery tomorrow and I would be there LOL! That is one of the reasons why I did get threw the process a bit faster because any date for appointments were fine for me. 

Referral Sent June 03 2013////Orientation @ TWH July 08 2013////Nurse Practitioner July 10 2013////Sleep Study July 20 2013////Social Worker July 23 2013////Nutrition Class August 20 2013////Dietitian August 13/21 2013////Psychologist August 13 2013////Sleep Study Results August 21 2013////Surgeon Appointment Sept 06 2013////SURGERY @TEGH October 2 2013    

newpossibilities
on 9/4/13 11:40 am - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13

For me, the surgeon appointment was only about 15 minutes.  I waited to meet the surgeon for about 2 hours, however.  

Good luck on Friday!   looking forward to hearing how it goes. 

Referral Mar 1, 2013 Orientation Apr 17, NP May 2, SW May 6, Nut May 6, Dietitian June 6, Psych June 18, meet surgeon July 5, PATTS Oct 8, Surgery Nov 19th

Most Active
Recent Topics