Question for the other benchwarmers

Charlene Straus
on 9/25/13 10:18 am - Mississauga, Canada

I'm sick...sick of protein powder and shakes and I'm only on the full liquids part of the diet. 1 week to go before purees. I was great with it, the first few days, but now, I want to hurl, every time I eat anything with it in. I end up throwing half my meal out, because I just can't eat anymore, for fear it is all coming up. Premier protein shakes, are tolerable, if I flavor them and put them in my Magic Bullet with ice and a bit of water. Help...I need ideas on how to get my protein into me. Protein powder is proving not the way. I can't drink milk, either, so any help anyone can give me, would be wonderful.

Needanewbeginning
on 9/25/13 10:28 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Not my favourite drink I can tell you that, but early on, you HAVE to drink them. I still haven't found one I like, but I am eating more so getting in my protein that way. Once in a while I have a protein bar, the premier ones from Costco, but my centre didn't recommend I have those til 3 months out, and rarely at that. Increase your yoghurt like the new source Greek yoghurts are 8 gms of protein. Cottage cheese, I gaged eating that preop, but now its yummy to me. 

Keep trying different ones, see about samples from different places, iwindirect direct, injury, and maybe even Popeyes or GNC. 

Good luck, and keep trying, you CAN do this angry

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Patm
on 9/25/13 10:47 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Go to http://http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/ and there is a section on how to change the flavour of the pure protein shakes.

Also someone else had the idea to take the scoops of protein and add a little to everything they eat. Such as soup or apple sauce.

Charlene Straus
on 9/25/13 11:02 am - Mississauga, Canada
Thanks. Adding it to what I am eating is what is making me gag. I think I will add one T of protein powder to my snack shakes

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/13 11:07 am - Straford, Canada

when you are searching other protein sources be careful of the sugar and fat levels, many of the new Greek yogurts have Ok protein levels but their sugar level is way too high.  

Have you tried other protein powders?  Which one(s) are you using?  I could not drink the pre made shakes, they make me hurl.  I made my own smoothies and protein bars, which enabled me to adjust the taste to suit me.  My smoothies use unsweetened soy milk, 0% plain greek yogurt, protein powder and fruit.  1/2 cup each and a scoop of powder.  blend.  easy.  

I would go to oatmeal, cream of wheat, oatbran with unflavoured protein powder in them.  If you don't get suggestions to follow here email your NUT and ask them for help.  

1greeneyedgirl
on 9/25/13 2:18 pm - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Maybe try a little bit of Instant Hazelnut Coffee to it.  Very nice taste and it might be the change you are looking for.  I am also adding a yogurt to my shake also.

Cathy xo enlightened

Orientation: Feb 2013, Surgeon, Nurse, Dietician: June 2013, Dr. Glazier: April 2013, Surgeon: Dr. John Hagen, June 2013, PATTS: August 2013, Optifast: August 2013, Surgery: HRRH Sept. 5, 2013

4-Jane
on 9/25/13 2:30 pm - Canada

I am having a hard time as well yesterday I bought another new one chocolate with 25 grams of protein from my local health food store, it is at least tolerable I drank two today.  I have also tried the strawberry one mixed with water from I win direct it has 30 grams of protein, in it,  I have been told you can buy ones that are not creamy, more like juice that might be worth trying.  I hoping this gets better for us both.  I am actually on the purée stage but have not found anything I want to eat yet, tomorrow I will try an egg. Good luck in your search

Respectfully Jane
Oct32013
on 9/25/13 9:44 pm - Canada
I got the plain powder from bulk into greek yogurt u cant even taste the powder it desolves right in with it and thats what i have been doing i mix 250g of yogurt with 2,5 scoops of protien and it mixes right in just fine i mix it up every morning and have it threwout the day gives my 70g of protien best of luck
Darthmummy
on 9/25/13 11:10 pm

I only use the Fruit Splash I get from Shoppers.  It tastes like watered-down juice and I piggy-back it on my water intake.  It smells like a protein shake, though, and that has been a problem for me.  I also find that it makes my water bottle skunky.

Lorieliz
on 9/26/13 2:05 am - Canada

iwindirect.com !!!!!!

They have amazing flavours, truly, I was really stuck like you. They have iced cappucino that is amazing. They also have orange creamsicle.

THE BEST thing every though is that they have unflavoured powder. I put it in my oatmeal, in my cereal. You could put it in any kind of drink.

Check them out, I am so glad I did. I thought I was going to hate protein drinks forever.

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

Most Active
Recent Topics