Does OHIP cover revisions these days?

nicholivolkoff
on 10/7/13 8:33 pm - Canada

Hello, just wondering if anyone out there is or has gone through the revision process with OHIP. I have a stretched out VSG stomach and am gaining weight steadily. I am hoping for a revision, just wondering if that is a realistic possibility. I also have a hiatal hernia that is causing me terrible acid reflux, maybe they could fix both at the same time?

Thanks! -Michelle

Anastasia_Marie
on 10/7/13 8:41 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 11/20/13

I do believe revision is covered and I do believe you go through the same process as the initial surgery now - so have the doctor send in the referral and so on and so forth. 

I believe there are a few people who have had it done on here so maybe they can step forward and give some more insight

Referral December 3/12 ~ Orientation April 24/13 ~ Nurse Practitioner May 27/13 ~ Nutritionist May 31/13 ~ Social Worker June 3/13 ~ Sleep Study June 24/13 ~ Ultrasound June 27/13 ~ Sleep Study Results August 20/13 ~Nurse Prac. Appointment September 10/13 ~ Surgeon Appt. Dr. Glazier & Dr. Hagen October 16/13 ~ Pre-Surgical Class October 23/13 ~ PATTS November 7/13 ~ Surgery November 20/13

kristaeb
on 10/7/13 9:31 pm

Hello, i had a revision done in June. I had a VBG done in the 90s ...Good luck Krista..

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

1greeneyedgirl
on 10/7/13 9:54 pm - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Hi Michelle, I believe they will as I had lapband revision to RNY, I had terrible reflux with the band also.  I followed the same process as everyone else through the clinic.  All the best to you, hopefully you can get fixed up and be on your way to slimness.

Cathy xo

Orientation: Feb 2013, Surgeon, Nurse, Dietician: June 2013, Dr. Glazier: April 2013, Surgeon: Dr. John Hagen, June 2013, PATTS: August 2013, Optifast: August 2013, Surgery: HRRH Sept. 5, 2013

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/8/13 12:16 am - Windsor, Canada

Because you just had one done, I'm not sure that they would do another so quickly.  I believe from your posts that you've said that you are not morbidly obese anymore as well.  I think they would likely refer you to their optifast program.  Never hurts to get a referral though.  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

nicholivolkoff
on 10/8/13 1:02 am - Canada

Hi, thanks for all the replies. No I am not morbidly obese, but my weight is getting worse every week. So I am heading for where I was in the first place. Right now I am at 184 pounds, and am 5 2. So my bmi is not quite 35 yet, but getting there that is for sure. I know the whole process is slow, so maybe by the time I get a referral appointment I will be heavier. My heaviest weiught before the vsg in 2009 was 246. My lowest weight after vsg was 150.

Leslie W.
on 10/8/13 7:20 am - Cobourg, Canada

My understanding is that they use the weight at the time of referral not the weight that you are at the time of orientations(that was the way 2 yr ago). I had a friend that wanted a revision and was turned down. You need to show that you have been following diet plan, making the right choices etc... and overweight. It never hurts to try. I believe you still need to go through the same process. Are you more than 5 yr out? if not contact your centre.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
merly6800
on 10/8/13 7:24 am - Canada

Hi Michelle,

For the amount of money you paid Dr. Gagner for the revision after your intial VSG I would be going back to Dr. Gagner and telling him the DS didn't work for you and to request he make your pouch smaller.

At what weight will you be happy?  You and I have the same stats from beginning to now.  Although, I never got below 165 and have crept up to 180lbs.

I honestly do not think OHIP will cover another surgery for you after you have had 2 done already.

This is all just my honest opinion though!  Best of luck!  Marilynn

nicholivolkoff
on 10/8/13 7:29 am - Canada

I have contacted Dr. Gagner a few times now, to tell him the DS is not working at all. He is not offering anything. Just the advice that it is too early to tell, but I mean it has almost been 6 months!! It is not just suddenly going to kick in!! I wish he would resleeve me, but that would be another big cost that I cannot handle at all. Thanks!

bonefish
on 10/8/13 9:29 am, edited 10/8/13 4:24 pm
I thought the power of the DS is in the malabsorption, not in the restriction! Do you have access to a dietitian or doctor who knows DS diet?
Most Active
Recent Topics