She said I looked awesome, but my clothes were dumpy

DanaStClair
on 10/10/13 9:20 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/15/13

Hello OH friends,

No video today, that will be tomorrow... but I just had to tell you what happened to me yesterday. Its been almost 8 weeks since my surgery and I have lost a total of 65ish lbs since the start of my journey in January. I do get compliments all the time, but yesterday I received a "back-handed" compliment... The woman at work said to me "I just wanted to tell you, you look awesome... but your clothes are starting to look dumpy" then she leaned in closer and said "its time to go shopping".

So much ran through my head at once. I am happy because I am getting smaller. Anxious because of the attention it brings and scared because now I have to start down the transition path of buying new clothes to avoid looking "dumpy".

I literally have no idea where to start. Value village? Good will? Penningtons? I would still be in plus sizes 3x-2x so I cannot start shopping in cheap regular size stores yet. I was super obese at 5'3" and 331 lbs, and now I am down to 265.

Is there a clothing exchange in Toronto? I don't drive so getting anywhere outside the GTA is a bit of a pain. I do get to Barrie and Cambridge quite often, so I suppose that is another option.

This weekend I am going to going through all my clothes, and getting ready to donate sizes 5x and 4x at the very least.. if you know anyone in particular that needs a business casual wardrobe in those sizes, please let me know.

Dana

Positivity, Positivity, Positivity + Protein, lots of protein ;)

Foy
on 10/10/13 10:02 pm - Canada
RNY on 08/30/13
There is a clothing exchange in early November. When the location has been determined I believe the organizers will post here.

Referral: July, 2012 Orientation TWH: November 12, 2012 NP/SW: March 25, 2013 Sleep Study: April 15, 2013 Nutrition Class: April 16, 2013 Dietitian: June 19, 2013 Psych: June 25, 2013  Dr OkrainecAugust 2, 2013  PATTS: August 9, 2013 Surgery Dr. Urbach: August 30, 2013

4-Jane
on 10/10/13 10:13 pm - Canada

Way ta go on your loss, sorry she did not pass you a gift card when she leaned in that would have been classy......

Respectfully Jane
Monica M.
on 10/10/13 10:30 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

i'm sure she meant it in a "nice" way.

For cost effectiveness, i'd go to VV or goodwilll. Look for dresses in a "wrap" style, or that would be suitable belted. You'll get use out of them longer than you will pants, for sure.

Leanne1
on 10/10/13 11:10 pm - Newmarket, Canada

There are monthly meetings as well, that do clothing exchanges! :) Cambridge has meetings but I am not sure of any of that info. 

There is one in Richmond Hill Nov 17th at Langstaff Community Centre on 155 Red Maple Rd at 230pm

Value Village and Good wills are good to start at for now; I'd wait to do some real shopping at other stores.

Good luck :D

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Patm
on 10/11/13 12:29 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Congrats on your loss. Buy as little as possible now. Make sure it fits or is tight because in a few weeks it will be loose as well. I was lucky I could shop in my closet for quite a while. Then I hit any warehouse sales.

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/13 12:56 am
Congrats on your success so far! I love goodwill and if you buy 6 pieces of clothes or more on any given day all of it is 50 percent off. Also shop goodwill on Sundays or Mondays and anything with a red tag on it are 75 percent off. Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 10/11/13 2:03 am - Straford, Canada

angry  Congrats on your success, don't buy too much regardless of where you shop, you will likely be dropping a bunch more sizes and it happens so fast its hard to keep clothing fitting.  

Mallory
on 10/11/13 3:16 am - Toronto, Canada

Mark November 10th on your calendar!  That is the day of my twice yearly clothing exchange.

I will be posting location later this weekend as I have to look into using the community centre near me.

Congrats on  your weight loss!

Mallory

~ Harshing On Grooves Since 1967

~ Acting My Shoe Size Since 1984

Most Active
Recent Topics