Had dental work done today, so hungry on Opti

nadiras
on 11/4/13 11:30 am - Canada

I had some cavities filled today and two old ones replaced. Two of the main cavities they filled were deep ones and my whole lower jaw was frozen. After freezing wore off I was starving and in a lot of pain. My mouth is very sore and I cannot yawn without pain. Surgery is this friday at 12 noon.

I drank my opti and waited 30 minutes to see if i was still hungry. I tried eating a few of the allowed veggies but it hurt to chew. I attempted broth but the taste was icky. By now I am really starving. I made a big mistake and caved for some food. Had a small baked potato with a 1/2 teaspoon of no salt butter. It really helped my hunger, though now that I am done eating it I feel bad.

I know it was bad to cheat on my opti and not too sure if I should call my surgeons office tomorrow tell them of my mistake and I guess reschedule my surgery. What does everyone think? Will I be safe by friday? Or should I reschedule?

Orientation May 2013, Surgeon( Dr.Lindsay) July 17, Rescheduled RN/NUT/ SW and got lucky with a cancellation July 18, Dr.Linsday 2nd appt Aug.19, Dr.Lindsay was overbooked switched to Dr.Starr on Oct.8, Surgery Dr.Starr Nov.8,2013

Katie M.
on 11/4/13 11:44 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

If it was me I wouldn't call the surgeon. One mistake is not going to ruin the progress. Which is not a licence to cheat more of course, lol, but one baked potato is not going to blow your liver up. Stick to your Opti for the rest of the week and I'm sure you'll be fine. Opti is really tough and must be even tougher when you're in pain on top of it all, but if you haven't cheated up to this point then you're doing great, and this small setback is just that - a small setback. Start over again in the morning and carry on :) 

I hope your jaw starts to feel better soon! Good luck :)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

nadiras
on 11/4/13 11:49 am - Canada

Thank you. This was my first and only cheat. I was even trying to stay away from pain meds, I have a high tolerance. I figured this was the only place I could come and explain what happened knowing others have been through it. Even with three kids at home I have not nibbled on any of their snacks I have prepared.

Orientation May 2013, Surgeon( Dr.Lindsay) July 17, Rescheduled RN/NUT/ SW and got lucky with a cancellation July 18, Dr.Linsday 2nd appt Aug.19, Dr.Lindsay was overbooked switched to Dr.Starr on Oct.8, Surgery Dr.Starr Nov.8,2013

Katie M.
on 11/4/13 12:01 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Oh for sure people here understand. There are lots who have little slip ups along the way, but we all get back on the horse and try again. You didn't go out and eat a Big Mac, you didn't binge on three potatoes, so I'd say it was a small slip. You've done great so far by not cheating, especially with kids at home and preparing meals, and I'm sure the next three days until surgery will go great as well. You're almost there! 

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Sunny123
on 11/4/13 5:50 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

I agree with Kate. You're human you made a mistake and have learned from it (by not feeling good afterward).

I wish you lots of luck with your surgery...you will do just fine!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

G_mama_d
on 11/4/13 8:50 pm - North Bay, Canada
I agree with Kate also, drink lots of water and flush that potato out. I'm sure you are not the first and for sure won't be the last to have sonething to eat whilst on opti.Good luck with your surgery.

RNY - Dec 18/2013

HW- 333 lbs. Approved for Surgery- 285.4 SW- 272.  GW-160-180

nadiras
on 11/4/13 11:34 pm - Canada

Again thank you to everyone for the advice. I am drinking lots of water. I spoke with my surgeons secretary today and she said not to worry. Lol she even said its way better for a person to admit than deny. Of course if I had eaten steak with the potato it would have been a different story. I love when my three yr old plays kitchen and wants me to pretend to eat the food she prepares. So technically I get to eat all day.

Most Active