Are you happy you did this?

Pamela.S.
on 3/5/14 3:53 am - Canada

I've been off the board for a couple of months.  I'm really unsure if I want to go ahead with this or not.  I'm not sure if I'm just afraid, or if this really isn't for me. 

Are you happy that you had this surgery?  If you had to do it all over again, would you? 

I'd really love to hear some honest answers - this board and the Brampton support group have helped me a lot.

Thanks,

Pam

Referral Sept/13, changed centres to HRRH - Orientation Mar 24/14.  Feb 5, 2015 - SURGERY!!!! HW 286.4 SW 264

Leanne1
on 3/5/14 4:16 am - Newmarket, Canada

HONESTLY!!! YEP! I suuurrrrre would do it again, in a heart beat!!! 

I am the most healthiest I have ever been! I would neeeevvveerrrrr go back to the bigger me, ever. I was so unhealthy. 

And now I can REALLY see my results since I have had my excess skin taken off my stomach! 

I am sooooo very proud of myself and I have many people that are proud of me as well!

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

sellarsgal
on 3/5/14 4:51 am - Oshawa, Canada

When my husband decided to through and have this surgery in 2012, I was a little unsure. people asked me then if I was going to have it too and I said HELL NO! 

But I watched my husband go through the process and saw how happy he was and how great he felt and watched the clothes get smaller . He had no complications and he healed quickly, he started exercising and had lots of energy. I wanted that for myself and I knew the only way to get it (for me) was WLS. 

My husband never pressured me but was pleased when I told him I decided to have it. He just knew how happy I would feel! 

It is a scary and lengthy process but I feel the rewards are worth the risk. I am glad I got to see my husband go through it first so I know what to expect. Good luck to you . 

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

LilyBugsMommy
on 3/5/14 4:56 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I am happy that I did this, would do it again without a second thought and wish that I could have done it years earlier...but, with all of that being said, it isn't always sunshine and roses. I have had a fairly easy go of it, a small complication early out, but nothing major has gone wrong. But, it is hard....you have totally change your life, and, not just for the first year or so, forever....if not, you will regain. So, yes, I am so happy I did this and feel so much better and can do so much more now, with family and friends. But, it isn't always easy and some days are very hard...but, it is all worth it :)

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/5/14 5:09 am, edited 3/5/14 5:09 am - Windsor, Canada

Hi there :-)

im dawn and I had my rny surgery 7.5 years ago.   

My first few years were easy and breezy and actually quite amazing.  I went from being a couch potato who was extremely introverted at 290 lbs to a busy, active 140 lb person who was playing floor hockey, walking my entire city and standing up in front of a room full of people.  

I can shop virtually anywhere.  

I will not have an early heart attack like my mother. 

I do not get winded climbing stairs.  I'm not terrified of passing through a turnstile, worrying about chairs that might break or seat belts that may not fit or comments from groups of teenagers about how fat I am.  

One size fits all really does fit.   

There are challenges.   Yes there are.  No sugar coating. 

Since surgery I have become osteopenic.  I developed iron deficiency anemia (low ferritin levels).   I battle anemia constantly bit manage to have still completed half marathons for the last five years.  

I have reactive hypoglycemia.   When I eat too much sugar, I can pass out.   Totally manageable once I figured it out.  I am low in vitamin d as well. 

At 7.5 years out, every day is a struggle.  I still have a terrible sweet tooth.  I'm still a binge eater.    I battle with food most days.   

I have very screwed up eating issues and body image.  I have a good amount of excess skin that is ugly despite exercising.  I'm also 43.  I have decided now it's time for plastics.  

At my heaviest I was 290 lbs.  I got to around 140 lbs.  regain has been hard mentally.   At one point up to 167 lbs and it freaked me out. I'm around 150-153 most days still trying to get back to my goal. Much harder to lose now.

I wouldn't change things in terms of having Wls.  BESt thing I have done.  I would have done a few things differently though in hindsight.  I would have done it waaay earlier too.  I spent too many years not really living life but hiding from it instead.    

I tell people to start the journey and if you are not committed, you can drop out at any time.... I also say, DO NOT go through with it unless you have decided to be 100% committed.   Surgery is not for everyone.  You cannot go thinking that surgery is going to do

it all for you either.   It will be about the choices you make as to whether or not you will KEEP off the weight.   I wish you all the best as to deciding if this is the path for you. It's n absolutely amazing gift... It's also a huge responsibility.   

Feel free to add me or message me if I can help you in your journey!

dawn

7 Years Post Op 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Anastasia_Marie
on 3/5/14 5:21 am, edited 3/5/14 5:21 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 11/20/13

I am very happy with my choice to have had my RNY and get my life back. I am 15 weeks out and down 85 pounds. I take up less space. I sleep better. I have more energy. I don't get winded walking up stairs, hills, or playing with the kids and pets.

I would 100% do it all over again. I would just say really think of the things you want to do in life and see make the decision for you and no one else. 

Robyn R.
on 3/5/14 5:30 am - Bowmanville, Canada

I'm 6 weeks post op, down 50lbs and no regrets. I am ecstatic. I would definitely do this again. I'm 1/3 of the way there and can't wait to reach goal

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

Laurie C.
on 3/5/14 5:50 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Pam:

I am so much happier now.  I had my surgery June 2012, wish I had had it sooner.  I am happier, healthier and thinner.  For me it was a great decision.  BUT as Dawn pointed out there are thorns that we are warned about and think they won't happen to us.  I also have hypoglycemia and am learning to deal with it.

Regardless I'm in a good place now and RNY was the best plan for me.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/14 6:00 am

I will say I think I am more than happy with the surgery.I don't think happy is a way to describe it.I think the life change has made my life so much better.I am 46 years old and I am so relieved that I was able to have RNY.I weighed at my highest at 322 pounds I am down to 223.

I do feel more confident in myself.I have grown a back bone.That did not change overnight.I am learning to say no to people.

Before I had surgery I had horrible IBS.Which now is so much better.I still have high blood pressure but it runs in my family my grandfather is 99 and weighs about a 100 pounds and he has HP.

Before the surgery I was terrified of how eating meals was going to be.Like not being able to eat certain things. I will say the way I feel now is so much better. I do think about food a lot.Not in a bad way.I just always want to make sure I have good food choices. 

I will say I am glad that I did this.I am a more pleasant person to be around.I do like being a smaller size.I can't wait to travel and not be worried about if I will fit in the seat on the airplane.It does feel good to be able to shop at places that are not plus size.One thing I will say is I can walk a lot more than I used to.I would make up excuses why we would have to leave places because I was too tired to walk anymore.

Sorry for rambling on and on.But I am happy.

Sunny123
on 3/5/14 8:20 am
RNY on 12/05/13

I'm 3 months out. I no longer have high blood pressure, or a leaky bladder. 

I have lost just under 60 lbs. I can wear clothes I bought years ago when I was going to 'lose weight'. My work is no longer suffering for it. I cannot wait to fish this summer without petering out after a few minutes.

i can exercise etc etc

I would do it all over again in a minute (I am still doing it and will be for the rest of my life)!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Most Active
Recent Topics