Calcium Supplements?

Tina G.
on 3/19/14 5:27 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 04/14/14

Hi everyone, I went for pre op at Humber yesterday and I forgot to ask, and now that I think of it none the people I saw even asked me, but am I supposed to be taking Calcium. My surgery is April 14th. I seem to remember being told to take calcium supplements at the appts earlier. Anyone open for answers?

Thanks.

Leanne1
on 3/19/14 6:43 am, edited 3/19/14 6:43 am - Newmarket, Canada

At costco.. there is Wellesse liquid calcium citrate (comes in a white bottle, pink label)

this is what it looks like .. http://www.vitacost.com/wellesse-calcium-and-vitamin-d-essen tial-bone-health-liquid-lactose-free-natural-citrus-16-fl-oz (I only used this link for the pic)

It is about $10 a bottle

I used to take 1 tbsp at lunch and another tbsp at dinner

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Patm
on 3/19/14 7:35 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I was through TWH and we did not start vitamins until we were home. Perhaps someone therough Humber will chime in

Hennagirliegirl
on 3/19/14 8:29 am - Canada

I am through Humber and did not start supplements until I came home from surgery. So, unless you have been specifically told to start something It shouldn't be necessary

The calcium citrate requirement from humber is 600 mg three times per day, this will be reassessed after your 3 month blood work.

Terri

Test

EllenMW
on 3/19/14 8:31 am

It wont hurt to start the vitamin regiment before surgery.  but yes the calcium is the citrate in liquid form.  IF you have to take Iron, do not take them  close together.  Remember you need chewable or crushable or liquid form vitamins/meds. you can always call the nurse at humber with any questions.

Leanne1
on 3/19/14 11:53 am - Newmarket, Canada

You are soo close to your surgery.. it's NOT a good idea to start vitamins BEFORE... they need to know at your pre-op what exactly you are taking because some things need to be stopped at certain times before surgery. 

I would get the calcium and take it when you get home from having your surgery... I am also with twh and had to do that too.

Don't take iron unless you already are OR if you have bloodwork after your surgery and your levels are low! 

Take what your center has told you to take

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Tina G.
on 3/20/14 4:15 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 04/14/14

Thanks to everyone who answered me yesterday about my supplements question. It was all very helpful. I did call Humber yesterday and got the info I needed. Again, THANK YOU!!!...Wouldn't it be fun if we could all meet one day in the summer and hold an annual conference?...Good luck and congrats to all!

Most Active
Recent Topics