Completely off topic - CPP Disability

NorthernStar
on 3/21/14 9:39 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

This is completely off topic but I thought maybe a good place to try since it's all Canadians here. Does anyone know anything about CPP Disability and applying for it? I am trying to help my dad. If you could reply here of PM me, I have some questions.

Thanks!

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Needanewbeginning
on 3/21/14 11:00 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Hi there, yes, I would be happy to help you. You can PM me, or email [email protected] 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

NorthernStar
on 3/21/14 9:40 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Thank you! E-mail sent!

*Lindsey*

Patm
on 3/21/14 12:35 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

If he has a disability consider ODSP. It has other benefits including costs to ADP

NorthernStar
on 3/21/14 9:41 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

What is ADP? I am under the impression he won't qualify for ODSP because he has some assets (a small condo, some savings)

*Lindsey*

Katie M.
on 3/21/14 10:02 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Do you have a legal clinic in your community? I volunteer with Canadian Mental Health and am always taking people to the legal clinic here, they know the in's and out's of all the programs and what the allowable asset limits are, etc. Most people I've talked to who get their files put through with recommendations by a legal clinic (either CPP or ODSP) seem to get approved much faster than if they do it themselves. Here's some good info on what is and isn't included in the assets for ODSP - http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/social/odsp/info_sheets/assets.aspx

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

NorthernStar
on 3/21/14 11:14 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Thanks for posting that link. He definitely would not qualify for ODSP (seems like max assets are $5000 for a single person) but it's good to know that at least. That is a good idea about the community legal clinic. I will try to find one in London, I'm sure there must be one.

*Lindsey*

beme_atlast
on 3/21/14 4:14 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/29/14

I am on CCP Disabiliy. You can get all the forms and information on-line. Some need to be completed by you and some by the doctor. The wait period is 4-6 months but you may get it retroactive to the date you actual file, depending on the cir****tances. Here is the website.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/services/pensions/cpp/pub lications/disability/cppbentoc.shtml

Hope that helps,

Jane

HW-414, Start Opti-398, PS-369.1,GW-170... SURGERY Dr.Klein-Apr 29/14!!! 

NorthernStar
on 3/21/14 9:42 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Thank you! I have the forms and will get them filled out and mailed in.

*Lindsey*

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/14 11:14 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I sent you a PM last night but maybe it didn't go through.  OH seems to be acting weird.  Not sure if he is on long term already from work or not but if so, they make you apply for CPP disability.  It's a long process and most people get denied the first time around so if he does, don't think he won't get it.  You just have to appeal the decision and give them more info, with another letter from yourself and from your doctor.  His doctor's comments will likely have the most impact on approval.  They do go retroactive if it is approved.  Not sure on his asset level but assets have no impact on CPP but if he applies for ODSP, then it makes a difference.  You can only have I believe so much in assets.  Even if he does apply for ODSP, they will make him apply for CPP as well.  ODSP is basically welfare for those that can't get disability benefits through work or through CPP since they never paid in.  ODSP is tax free and also has benefits whereas CPP is taxable and no benefits.  PM me if you want to discuss further, I have been on long term and CPP for years.

Most Active
Recent Topics