6 weeks out and my hair is falling out like crazy!

Maggie428
on 5/26/14 10:38 pm - Kingston, Canada

Well I guess the title pretty much says it all.  Having gone through chemo before I find this to be stressing since I don't want to go back to the "bald days".  Vitamins are being taken, protein eaten...is this going to correct itself soon???? Yikes!

Maggie...Life is too short to hide the sparkle you have within....

Monica9811
on 5/26/14 10:48 pm - Peterborough, Canada

I don't want to burst your bubble but mine fell out for a good 6 months. I had thick hair to begin with so I was lucky but it was still stressful. 

Karen M.
on 5/26/14 11:24 pm - Mississauga, Canada

This too shall pass. I had an estimated 60% hair loss that definitely grew back with time. Its extremely common with weight loss surgery (and really any other major surgery). A good definition of it can be found here: telogen effluvium

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

a_sweet_life
on 5/27/14 1:02 am - Canada

My surgery is coming up and I am worried about the hair loss, my hair is very thin and more loss would be noticable!  I have heard that biotin helps with hair growth.  Has anyone ever taken biotin in pill format to strengthen the hair, Is that a supliment we can take to lessen hair loss and encourage growth?

on 5/27/14 2:00 am - Canada

Hey Maggie how are you?  I have not started losing mine yet.  Im just 5 weeks today but im hesding to my hairdressers today for my color and im telling her to cut it shorter this time.  Im ecpevting it to start at anytime.  My daughter had the same surgery 6 months ago and she started losing hair around 5 months but she has such very thick hair she could stand to lose a bit.  Good Luck  :-)   Val

on 5/27/14 2:12 am

Get a wig girl.

VSG TO DS REVISION 

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/14 4:09 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Hi Maggie, 

Hope all is well.  I too am losing hair.  I hear it gets better around 8 months.  It is due to hormones.  My hair dresser identified that it is similar to how she was after giving birth where the hair thins out a bit, then gets normalized.

Hope it gets better.

Regards,

Kelly

Tina G.
on 5/27/14 6:53 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 04/14/14

Hi Maggie,

I too am 6 wks out and I hate to even address this topic, so I am touching wood as I write it,,but I have not lost any hair yet. I was at the spa a wk ago got a really short spiky pixie cut and went platinum, all in hopes that if I keep it short it will keep growing back and wont have time to fall out..LOL Wishing you the best of luck on your journey. Hugs,Tina

Nanato2
on 5/27/14 7:40 am, edited 5/27/14 7:43 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I doubt you will go back to bald days I have not seen anyone that has gone bald. Its all part of the process most of us have hair loss. Mine started around 3 months and lasted till approx. 9 months. I am 15 months and still have more hair loss than I did before surgery. I had long thick hair to start with my hair is still long a little thinner but still looks great. I never cut my hair short my hairdresser just gave me layers so it wouldn't be noticeable. 

What can you do well make sure you are getting in your protein and fluids in, yes you can take biotin but it does not help with the hair loss it helps with the regrowth and remember if you take biotin your hair will grow in other places as well. Another vitamin then say helps is Zinc.

I also used a shampoo and conditioner called Nioxin I buy it at Winners or the hair salon it is for thinning hair and makes the hair seem fuller.

If you lose to much and it bothers you can buy a wig.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Sunny123
on 5/27/14 10:17 am
RNY on 12/05/13

Mine started at three months. I had used expensive shampoos with all the keratin collagen etc in it pre surgery. It did not help.

it is so alarming but rest assured it does stop.  Mine is slowing down now as I reach 6 months post op.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Most Active
Recent Topics