Planning my wedding post-op

reliena
on 6/5/14 9:48 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Hey friends,

I'm just past four weeks post-op, and doing great! I think my VSG is a little more forgiving than a typical RNY. I get full as quickly as expected, but texture-wise I have been doing well. I moved into soft foods earlier as I tolerate them very well. I'm a little tired of chewable multis, but also afraid of going back to pills, as I had one come back up on my in week 1.

ANYWAY!

As if life wasn't exciting enough, with SV's and NSV's all over the place, my partner of seven years and I decided to start planning our wedding! He's going to surprise me with a ring soon, but after this long together, it was really deciding that it was the right time for us, and something to bolster everyone after a tough year.

I wanted to ask if anyone else has planned their wedding post-op, especially so soon post-op, as I am thinking ahead to food tastings, DRESS BUYING, and all that good stuff. We're not having a fancy fancy affair, but I know that even a simple dress takes time for ordering... but if I order too soon, then I risk buying something way too big! This shouldn't stress me out, but uh, it does.

If there is another board that I might find useful on OH, feel free to point it my way! I'd much appreciate it. Thanks ladies and gents :D

Referral 08/13, Orientation TWH 09/18/13, SW 09/26/13, NP 09/26/13, Surgeon Appt 12/13/13, MRI 01/06/14, Nut Class 01/14/14, Nut 01/20/14, Scopes 02/21/14, Psych 02/25/14, Dr. Urbach 03/28/14, PATTS 04/15/14, SURGERY 05/06/14!!! 

Robyn R.
on 6/5/14 10:04 am - Bowmanville, Canada

We eloped so I'm sorry I have nothing to offer other than a BIG HEART FELT CONGRATULATIONS!  All the best & enjoy the planning process

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

reliena
on 6/6/14 12:19 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Thank-you so much Robyn! I dunno, I'm beginning to think that could be advice in itself ;)

jaxie77
on 6/5/14 10:25 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

First off ....Congratulations !!! That is exciting stuff , and so much to look forward to ! I have no advice really , other than maybe find a dress maker , that will work with you throughout the whole process. I am sort of in the same situation , but for a Maid of Honour dress , its for my sister's wedding in early 2016 , it is a big affair and she has four bridesmaids also , so imagine their annoyance when I announced I will be having surgery (hopefully ) by the end of this year , and therefore have absolutely no idea of what size I will be come wedding time !!! Lol ! Also ....they are all in Glasgow and i am here in Ontario!! Just to confuse things even more ! 

I have been emailing some dressmakers and explaining the situatiin and most have been really positive about it and it doesn't sound like it should be too much of an issue .

Of course, you could always try styles on and see what you like ...then wait till closer and buy . Then alter ?? Its so confusing though especially when ( you may feel the same ?) i have no idea what styles I will like on me at a smaller size !! Most of my adult life ive been fairly overweight and dressed to 'accomodate' my size and appearance!  

Anyway , really happy for you and what a wonderful thing to look forward to at the end of all this surgery stuff !!! Congratulations again and keep up the good work ! :) 

Jax x 

reliena
on 6/6/14 12:23 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Thanks Jax!!! That is great advice... unfortunately I am technically a dressmaker (I make costumes for a living) so I would be the worst customer for a dressmaker ever. LOL

I did think about making it myself, but I feel like I want the experience of trying stuff on, picking stuff out, etc. I'm prepared to do the alterations, but anything more than a few sizes and it gets dicey in evening/bridal wear. At least I can go to town on my own clothes!

I am so jealous of your trip to Scotland for your sister's wedding! How romantic. I can see how that makes things difficult for you, though. I hope it's the best time! xx

jaxie77
on 6/6/14 2:01 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hey :) 

You're a costume maker ??.....Hmmmm ..interesting !! Lol .....Yes I hear you about the experience of shopping and trying stuff on , will be fun !I soooo look forward to the days when shopping is not a dreaded nighmare !!  You should be ok once you get closer to the time , youl probs have a good idea on what size you may be when the time comes . 

Yeah the wedding in Scotland will be romantic , but its home for me and all those guys so , will be normal really !! Haha ...I came over here in 2005 for my hubby after i met him here on vacation , and just decided to go for it and move !! Sucks leaving all my family but we have so much fun with them coming here and us going there , and im happy so all is good :) 

I hope you find what you want dear , planning a wedding is so exciting ! Have fun and happy shopping xxxx 

Jax x

reliena
on 6/6/14 2:07 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Hehe, yes, interesting is one way to describe it! Working in theatre certainly has its ups and downs. I am likely taking a break to have a steady office job for a year or two. I want to focus on my health and well-being, and the crazy schedule of theatre is not such a good fit for that.

Ah, I didn't catch on that you're from Scotland! That makes sense ;) Well it is bound to be romantic, even if it's at home. But man, I love stories of people meeting by chance and moving across an ocean for love! I think THAT is super romantic. I have a good friend who went to Berlin for three weeks on vacation about four years ago, met a fella, and now lives there - married with a sweet baby boy! I do miss her though :(

Thanks again!

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/14 10:27 am

LOL

otmama
on 6/5/14 11:55 am
RNY on 04/30/14

I would wait on the dress - I bought mine off the rack & took it home with me that day!  Mind you I wouldn't wait too long but maybe 2-3mnths before the wedding then you can hopefully minimize the alterations:)  Congratulations & happy planning:)

Orientation Session:  April 2013  Sleep Study:  July 1/13  Abdominal Ultrasound: July 16/13  Endoscopy: October 23/13  Pre-Surgical Class:  Dec 11/13  Surgeon:  Jan 6/14  PATTS:  April 4/14 Optifast: April 9/14  RNY Surgery: April 30/14

reliena
on 6/6/14 12:25 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Thanks otmama! Yeah, I suppose if I'm doing off the rack that would work. I haven't decided. I may just try on a number of styles somewhere and then order off the internet, lol. If it needs tweaking I can do that myself. Ah well, I have a whole year before I need to wear it, right? 

Most Active
Recent Topics