After Surgery, how does Hubby eat ?

ArleneAnne
on 8/24/14 3:21 am - Oakville, Canada

Greetings

My poor husband does alot of the cooking. .... there is only him and myself in our family now (retired), so he is afraid/uncertain what he will be eating after my surgery......he states that he will NOT prepare a meal for just himself ...... and I think that perhaps this statement is more true than not, as when I have been in the hospital for other things, I know that he basically ate out of can (not literally ... mind you, I am not truly sure ).      Have any of you had similar experiences and how did you cope ?  ...... I have suggested that he eat the bariatric receipts just as I am, only a much larger portion ..... Is that a possible solution ?  

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated !  

Arlene

P.S. how do you get into the receipt site here on Obesity Help ..... and are there any other receipt sites that you have found especially useful ?

Karen M.
on 8/24/14 3:24 am - Mississauga, Canada

You click on the link in my signature.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Catw
on 8/24/14 4:12 am - Arnprior, Canada

Unless your husband has his own special diet, there is no reason that he can't have the same/similar foods you are.  When you are on liquid, he can have the same soups, just you need to do one more step than he does.  And he can have something with it.  For example, you have soup, he can have soup and a sandwhich.  And each time you change stages, he can have the same thing, just not go as far with prep as you do.  once you are on regular food, you just make recipes that you both can eat.  You'll work it out.

Other than the recipes here, look up eggface.  She has a lot of good recipes there.

Cathy

ArleneAnne
on 8/24/14 4:50 am - Oakville, Canada

TKS for the response ...... As I get closer and closer (please God) he is starting to get scared .... is sitting here at the moment reading the VERY first information that we got at the Orientation way back when ! ...... I guess the reality is starting to hit him !!

Maricw
on 8/24/14 8:36 am - Oshawa, Canada

I am still cooking for hubby..some things I can purée ... I cooked some chicken with turnip, carrot and pototes..yummie...that was my first real food since optifast lol....I just puréed my small portion...I made some homemade soup took my veggies and meat out before I added rice to it for hubby.....once you get to purée it will be easy to plan meals....

Referral - October 3-2013 /  Family Dr. Confirmed - October  31-2013 /  Orientation call - November 11-2013 / Orientation (HRRH) -November 25-2013 / 1st  Surgeon Appt (Dr Huynh) - January 14-2014 /  SW/RN/RD - January 17-2014 / Dr Glazer March 25-2014/ 2nd Surgeon Appt (Dr Huynh)- April 10-2014 / Surgery date - August 7-2014

Gwen M.
on 8/25/14 11:56 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm the cook in my family and everyone eats the food I make.  Sometimes I'll make rice, pasta, or bread for them that I won't eat myself, but aside from those things we eat all the same food.  There's nothing "bariatric" about the meals I cook - everything is delicious and full of flavor and great ingredients.  I find that lots of paleo recipes are very VSG friendly!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

White Dove
on 8/25/14 2:16 pm - Warren, OH

If I made pasta and meatballs, he had the pasta and meatballs with Italian bread while I had a meatball with some sauce.  He would have chicken and noodles with carrots, onion, and celery and I would have the chicken with some celery.  I would fix beef stew and he would eat that while I had a small portion of just the beef. 

I never cooked differently, I just made the same meals and only ate the protein and low carb veggies.  He did not have surgery and I did not expect him to eat any differently because I did.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

LilyBugsMommy
on 8/26/14 4:34 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

My husband does most of the supper cooking in our family. I just told him to make whatever he usually would and then I eat the protein first, followed by veggies. If I have rice or potato, it is literally a teaspoonful, just to have the taste. So, he doesn't have to cook two meals, just be sure that there is a protein with the meal that you can have.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Mary A.
on 9/2/14 5:40 am

In my thoughts it's all about eating more healthily all around, the only thing that I don't eat are the buns, the Chinese food, unless it's the soup or the occasional wonton...and things that are heavily fried.

.other than that I pretty much eat what my family does, or when they are making meatballs they leave2-3 meatballs off to the side for me as with a gastric ulcer, I am suppose to steer clear of the tomato sauce.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics